IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
"Suite" Science Deck Mosaic Sol 30: Aviation Week 7 July 2008, Time Lapse Mosaic at Green Valley
mars loon
post Jul 7 2008, 04:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

"Suite" Science Deck Mosaic Sol 30: Aviation Week 7 July 2008

Time Lapse Mosaic at Green Valley

As this science rich mission continues to amaze, we (mars loon and dilo) are pleased to present a time lapse mosaic of the lander deck as it appeared on Sol 30 after delivering the first MECA wet chemistry sample.

The mosaic is featured as part of the lead story on Phoenix for the new 7 July 2008 issue of AWST magazine, printed on p. 28 and 29
Full pan also on p. 6 Table of Contents
Find the article segment at the AWST website here: http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/

Taste Test
By Craig Covault

The Phoenix lander’s search for Martian life evidence will begin in earnest this week as the spacecraft’s organic chemistry instrument is fed a sample of 100% water ice. The mission team also wants to do ice sampling as early as possible, in the event an electrical short in the device prematurely halts organic-oven operations. . ....
-----
Attached Image

image here :
Attached Image

AWST Caption: The False-color time-lapse mosaic of Phoenix deck shows the robotic arm scoop in motion (at left) delivering data-rich soil sample to the MECA instrument, then (at right) on robotic arm approaching surface.
Credit: NASA/JPL/UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA IMAGE MOSAICED AND COLOR-CODED FOR AW&ST BY KENNETH KREMER AND MARCO DI LORENZO

a tribute to the Independence day of those responsible for this endeavor

In other news, Spaceflight Magazine has accepted my review article covering the first 30 Sols of Phoenix and which will include several of our mosaics and a selection of Phoenix images. We'll be adding more recent images to this mosaic for the Spaceflight version

The article is currently set to appear sometime in August or September 08. We appreciate the generosity of Aviation Week and Spaceflight magazines in printing work by UMSF members.

ken
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jul 7 2008, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Guests

Heartfelt congratulations, once again!

...now, I should get around to updating that thread of publicized and APOD'ed UMSF images... - Or make a gallery...

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Aug 13 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #3

From the team of Marco and Ken

Our enlarged Deck pan just published in the 11 August 2008 issue of version Aviation Week on. p. 6 and 30 as the lead for this weeks Phoenix report by Craig Covault titled "Martian Chronicles Revisited"

Attached Image

in other news, my Spaceflight magazine Phoenix article will appear in the Oct 2008 issue (publishes in early September) with additional mosaics from Marco and Ken

Plus I be presenting several Phoenix lectures in NJ and PA .. to be listed

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 13 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Another smashing coup by UMSF's "amateurs"!!! rolleyes.gif

Beautiful work, guys, and congratulations (and also to you for the Spaceflight article, Ken!)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Aug 13 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Mars loon,
Don't forget to add links to those lectures to the Space Outreach library!

http://www.spaceoutreach.com

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Sep 7 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 13 2008, 02:40 AM) *
Another smashing coup by UMSF's "amateurs"!!! ... Beautiful work .. congratulations ... for the Spaceflight article

Thank you nprev.

My 10 Page Phoenix article in Oct 08 Spaceflight will publish within the next week or so

Included are 5 mosaics by the Marco/Ken team, which I'll post at that time

Oersted: you'll be pleased to know that the Tell-tale is pictured prominantly with a reference to Aarhus University

Hendric: thank you for the Space Outreach reference. will post my upcoming lectures there and at Community Chit Chat

Florida UMSF'ers: I'll also be presenting on Phoenix and DAWN in central Florida in mid Oct. please contact me if of interest. hopefully coincides with Hubble repair launch
ken

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Sep 8 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #7

Guests

Sounds fabulous, I'll try to get a copy of that!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 8 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #8

Guests

Superb image! Congrats guys!
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 12 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #9

Guests

Just saw the article in BIS Spaceflight magazine October 2008 (pages 376-385) by Ken Kremer... astounding!
Great to get a 10 pages overview of the mission and the great photo by Marco di Lorenzo with "exclusive photo mosaic for Spaceflight" mentioned.
Great work and this probably deserves a separate topic mars.gif

the other Phill

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Sep 13 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Sep 12 2008, 01:38 PM) *
.. article in BIS Spaceflight magazine October 2008 (pages 376-385) by Ken Kremer... astounding!
Great to get a 10 pages overview of the mission and the great photo by Marco di Lorenzo with "exclusive photo mosaic for Spaceflight" mentioned. ... probably deserves a separate topic mars.gif

Thank you for the very kind words Philip !

that was so much work ... and we actually have 3 exclusives !

I'll be posting that seperate thread shortly with all 5 Marco/Ken images !

its been busy. Here's one reason .. I am pleased to report that Aviation Week just accepted another original mosiac by Marco/Ken plus ANT !

will post it here on Sunday night for monday's AWST issue : 15 Sep 2008

ken

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Sep 15 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #11

Our new TEGA & Scoop mosaic publishes now in the 15 Sep 2008 issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology on p. 40.
For the article titled "Racing the Midnight Sun" by Craig Covault. Ant joined us for this project.

Mosaic by Damien Bouic, Marco Di Lorenzo, Kenneth Kremer NASA/JPL/UA/Aviation Week

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.