Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opportunity Backshell And Parachute
DavidVicari
post Feb 9 2004, 04:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

Many people think the two objects seen to the far left and near the horizon on the following image are the backshell and parachute.

(Click for full resolution)

I did a quick calculation based on the Field of view, resolution of the camera, and dimensions of the backshell and I estimate that they are about 1300 Feet away.

I doubt there is any good scientific reason to visit them. However, if the heatshield crashed nearby it might be interesting to look in the small crater it most likely created.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 9 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - they've elected to not visit the heatshield at Spirit's site, as it's not on their planned route ( a lot more meters to drive to go to the edge of boneville crater than to drive all the way around the back of it ).

I dont think they'd actually want to get too close to the backshell and parachute - the chances of the chute material being caught in a bit of wind and tangling in the rover is probably very small, but it's just one of those risks they dont want to take.

The heatshield should be fairly harmless however, and there is a very bright single pixel object away off in the plain visible thru one of the crater wall low points from Opportunity that could be the backshell (and if not, what IS it ?)

Hopefully they might pancam that target in that navcam shot today.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.