IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Transit of Venus, Not unmannedspaceflight but it's in space, so....
TheAnt
post Jun 1 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6336

@jamescanvin: Yes you're right, it is the ' Alt/Azimuth view after all. Case closed, and the lid glued in place and taped on with silvertape. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 1 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 542

Standing on the ground and looking up at the sky this is what you see. Life is all alt/azimuth (except when you're in bed asleep or using an equatorially mounted telescope smile.gif). I found the site very useful for showing to me and my geographically distributed family what each of us can expect to see. A nice job well done. The front page is a bit like a 1970s album cover though, so I await future content with caution.

On transit day I will be celebrating with a four cheese pizza graced with a single black olive.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 1 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #33

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jun 1 2012, 02:24 PM) *
On transit day I will be celebrating with a four cheese pizza graced with a single black olive.

Awesome idea! In that same spirit I'm going to have a large glass of Lemonade and Jameson with a fly in it.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 1 2012, 11:44 PM
Post #34

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Some practical advice for those wanting to watch the Transit from the UK...

http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/transit-truths

wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jun 2 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 6336

@Stu: Projecting the sun image on a cardboard shown there is one excellent method and the one that I am going to use.

And quite some of that go for me as well. Like those in the UK I am going to miss the first contact, but weather permits I will potentially be able to see most of the transit since I am further north.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 2 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #36

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I'll be out in the California desert for other reasons that day, but will bring my binocs (found 'em!), a piece of paper for projection and my eclipse shades for an attempt at a direct sighting (no, not looking through the binoculars.)

And my crappy little camera. Hopefully I'll snap a shot that's worth posting here!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Jun 2 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 384

QUOTE (TheAnt @ Jun 2 2012, 03:42 PM) *
@Stu: Projecting the sun image on a cardboard shown there is one excellent method and the one that I am going to use.

You do know that Sun's IR light can be focusing inside some of glass parts of your binocular which can damage some of them beyond repair...right?
When you project Sun image through a telescope, you should use some cheap Kellner, or some other kind of simple eyepiece...because there are no glass parts in focal points.
The best way to see Sun is through Baader solar filter which should always be in front of your optical instrument. NEVER BETWEEN your optics and your eyes.
Also should be known that this film reduces the intensity of sunlight by 99.999% (optical density 5.0), optical density of 3.8 is not recommended for optical observation (Photo Film OD = 3,8).

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jun 2 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 542

I used a pair of binoculars to project the image of the transit in 2004 with no ill effect at all on the binoculars. I was in a busy corridor so hundreds of students and others saw the projected image. I would gladly do the same again even if I had to throw the binoculars away afterwards (which I doubt). Go Stu!

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jun 5 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1241

completely clouded out in the Boston Massachusetts area (5th or 6th day straight)... I will watch online...

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Jun 5 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #40

Crystal clear sky here! But it would have to last for another 8 hours...

I just noticed SDO latest images site redirecting to HERE. This should be some ultimate high resolution images. Does anybody knows what kind of transit path will SDO have?

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jun 5 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #41

Guests

Cant beleive they have taken down access to the real time high res images, Venus has been visible in SDO cameras for over an hour.

See here: http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov/images/latest_aia_211.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 5 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 5221

:Sigh: you can guess from my location alone what's going on weatherwise....

At least there's the streams...

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 5 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #43

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Rain hitting the window as I type this, and that rain will continue to, and past, sunrise at 04.50 here in the UK, so it looks like there's more chance of us Brits seeing Elvis, Lord Lucan and Bigfoot landing a UFO on the head of the Loch Ness Monster than there is of us seeing anything of the transit.

sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jun 5 2012, 11:41 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 321

Pleased to say that I have just tied the world's record for most transits of Venus witnessed.

My photos are so unremarkable technically that I won't bother uploading them, but the sentimental value is great.

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Jun 6 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #45

QUOTE (JRehling @ Jun 6 2012, 01:41 AM) *
Pleased to say that I have just tied the world's record for most transits of Venus witnessed.

Congratulations!!!
You beat me to it...I still have to wait more than 2,5 hours to have a chance to catch up... smile.gif
Well at least the weather here looks just about fine....

--------------------
Jules H. Poincare

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.