Reply to this topicStart new topic
Annular Solar Eclipse Of 2005 October 03
Tesheiner
post Sep 29 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Annular Solar Eclipse of 2005 October 03

"On Monday, October 03, an annular1 eclipse of the Sun will be visible from within a narrow corridor which traverses the Iberian Peninsula and stretches across the African continent. A partial eclipse will be seen within the much broader path of the Moon's penumbral shadow, which includes Europe, western Asia, the Middle East, India and most of Africa."

See: http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmo...05/ASE2005.html and http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmo...SE2005map3b.GIF

I live near Madrid (Spain) and won't miss this event.
If I'm able to take some photos of the eclipse I'll post them here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Sep 29 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 426

What's the weather like in Spain at this time of year? Is there a pretty good chance that you won't get clouded out?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 29 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #3

It really depends on which part of Spain you are interested.
Northern Spain may be usually cloudy but in the eclipse case we are talking about Central Spain and here we don't expect any clouds.

OT: Well, it's not fully correct because we are expecting clouds (rain) since before summer. Spain is currently suffering a very dry season, lots of fires during summer and water level on the rivers and dams going down and down.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 29 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 23

Cool! Can't wait to see pics smile.gif

I remember seeing an annular eclipse that went through the central US on May 10, 1994. Very neat experience even if it wasn't total.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
general
post Oct 3 2005, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 417

Picture I took of the partial eclips, as seen here in Belgium. cool.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 3 2005, 09:58 AM
Post #6

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

A LOT more than can be seen in the UK...just cloud.

Obvious really - there is a DIRECT correlation between astronommical events and cloud cover in the UK

Doug

+Quote Post
Ames
post Oct 3 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 423

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 3 2005, 10:58 AM)

Obvious really - there is a DIRECT correlation between astronommical events and cloud cover in the UK

Doug

Agree Totally!

Missed THE eclipse, Missed THE Meteor shower and dozens of other spectacular events through the years. Console myself with Iridium flares and ISS passes these days, as they happen often enough to see once in a while.

Also light pollution has killed off astronomy within 10 miles of any conurbation or motorway - Thinking of selling my telescope!

Humph!

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 3 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #8

The eclipse is nearing its end here in Madrid (Spain).

I'm currently at work and many of us gathered outdoors to see it; it was a nice experience, specially those four minutes between second and third contact (the actual annular eclipse).

It was around 11:00 local time (09:00 local solar time) but the luminosity was similar to dawn and it was getting cold.

I was planning to take some photos and even bring here my 6" refractor telescope, but my yesterday "dry-run" was so disapointing that I finally gave up. It took too much time to find and track the sun through the scope without the help of the finder and I didn't want to lose the main part of the eclipse adjusting all the hardware.

Edited: Absolutely no clouds here.

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Oct 3 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 3 2005, 09:58 AM)

Doug

Back in 99 (august 11), i was in the north of France which was completely covered with clouds (even some showers) until 10 minutes before totality. I had my C8 installed and had to cover it half the morning because it was pooring down for hours.

10 minutes before, as twilight set in, everything broke open. We experienced the totality without any clouds visible. We (my friends and i) changed from cold, wet, depressed, completely exhausted because of lying in a tent all night without sleeping.....to the most happy people on earth. After an hour.....cloud cover set in again.

I am sure there was a DIRECT correlation down there as well.....but it was a reverse effect from what you experience in England.

I don't know which effect it was......but it couldn't be coincidence.

Any comments/experience on dissoving cloud cover during totality ?

I am almost sure

+Quote Post
Ames
post Oct 3 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 423

"Any comments/experience on dissoving cloud cover during totality ?"

If the clouds are being created by convection, then they will tend to dissipate as the heat from the sun is blocked.

Unfortunately (and it seems commonly in the UK) this had no effect.

sad.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 3 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #11

Founder

I think Terra caught it out over Africa

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtim...6100501.4km.jpg

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Oct 3 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 426

Yeah. It's miserable when you get clouded out on something like this.

When I was a kid, around 1980 or so, I read in an astronomy book that an annular eclipse would take place in my home region (just outside Niagara Falls, Canada) in 1994. I wouldn't say that I looked forward to it every day until the event, but it was the sort of thing that would come to mind four or five times a year.

1994 came around. I was in grad school at Brock University. The morning of the eclipse was completely clear, and I was looking forward to watching it from St. Catharines when a thunderstorm blew up. Of course the thunderstorm cloud covered up the Sun just as the central part of the eclipse began. So I jumped into my car and tried to drive out from under the cloud by heading south... and ended up getting stuck in a traffic jam in Welland.

I finally managed to get out from under the cloud cover about twenty miles from my starting point, missing the end of annularity by a few minutes.

Crappo.

As an encore performance, I also managed to miss the really good Leonid meteor showers three years in a row. However, it wasn't all wasted, as I now have a much better understanding of what stratus clouds look like at four in the morning.

+Quote Post
blobrana
post Oct 3 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 457

I managed to grab a webcam photo from Aberdeen, Scotland at 10:00

IMAGE2

i was quite pleased since i hadn`t set anything up, and was just a quick snap.

+Quote Post
Vladimorka
post Oct 3 2005, 02:40 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 224

For everyone, who missed the eclipse:
http://www.PhotoServer.us/is.php?i=82003&i...rEclipse.gi.gif (1.1 mb animated gif)
The partial solar eclipse as seen from Sofia, Bulgaria. 41 frames, each is 1/2000 sec, f/7.4, ISO 200 with HP Photosmart 945 and Baader AstroSolar filter.
The morning was cloudy, during the eclipse the weather was fine, and again the sky is full of clouds, so here we were lucky :-)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 3 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Founder

As seen from Meteosat 7

Small and fast ( 0.7 meg )
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im...clipse_smal.gif

Large and slower ( 2 meg )
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im...nim_eclipse.gif

Those are Vis images, but the effect is visible in IR images, a slight bright patch moving across as well - showing the cooling effects of the eclipse.

Doug

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.