Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

85 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kepler Mission
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 10 2009, 06:33 PM
Post #91

Guests

Talking about mission life time; there was already talk of a possible extension to six years, which would allow improved observations of more transits to detect smaller planets and of course finding planets in larger period orbits cool.gif

Meanwhile:
http://www.astronomynow.com/090310KeckandK...joinforces.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Mar 10 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 11 2009, 04:03 AM) *
improved observations

Ref the article: Interesting!!! Especially ..... "Furthermore, Marcy and his team can use the Keck-calculated mass and Kepler-calculated diameter to determine the planet's density". (My bolding)

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Mar 10 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 4270

QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Mar 10 2009, 04:39 PM) *
Ref the article: Interesting!!! Especially ..... "Furthermore, Marcy and his team can use the Keck-calculated mass and Kepler-calculated diameter to determine the planet's density". (My bolding)

I am unsure why you bring attention to this. Density = mass / volume, with the mass and volume of a planet, we can calculate its density fairly easily. The density of transiting planets is not unmeasured.
To name a few examples:
HD 209458 b -> ~ 0.41 g cm^-3.
HD 149026 b -> ~ 0.82 g cm^-3.
HAT-P-2 b -> ~11.9 g cm^-3.
HD 189733 b -> ~ 1.06 g cm^-3.
TrES-3 b -> ~ 0.99 g cm^-3.

And so on...

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Mar 11 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Mar 10 2009, 10:46 PM) *
HAT-P-2 b -> ~11.9 g cm^-3.

Denser than lead? That - Jovian cores aside - doesn't seem very planet-like to me.

Andy

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Mar 11 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Mar 11 2009, 08:16 AM) *
I am unsure why you bring attention to this.

As I understand it (being an interested amateur) the radius of planets can only be determined from the shape of their light curves using transiting techniques. Since Kepler will be in space and has such an advanced photometer, it will be able to determine the size of planets that are even smaller than Earth. It will simultaneously observe a huge number of stars - 100,000.

Before reading the article I didn't realize that there was any radial velocity technique sensitive enough to check out the mass of such small planets. Since Keck has the capability to detect changes in radial velocity down to below 1/m sec, it is senstive enough. It will target the transit positives.

So you were right to comment!!! Currently we only know the size and and mass of a small percentage of planets - the new Planetary Society exoplanet catalogue is really useful resource. What I should have said was ...... density of (hopefully a lot of) earth like planets!!!. That's exciting. How many will be around the 5.75 gm/cc? I believe radial velocity techniques currently only estimate min mass with + ~20% error range to more heavy than estimated - worse if not in line of site.

PS - Andy - TPS catalogue gives HAT-P-2 b density ~13.37 gm/cc!! 'Super Earth' CoRoT-Exo-7b density ~11.36 gm/cc!!

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Mar 11 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE (HughFromAlice @ Mar 10 2009, 04:39 PM) *
... can use the Keck-calculated mass ...

That has brought to my attention. How does the team determine its mass?
Using the mass spectometry determines it? If it is so, which of the following
method uses:

a) Vaporisation
'b)' Ionisation
c) Acceleration
d) Deflection
e) Detection

Regards,

+Quote Post
dilo
post Mar 11 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 150

SpaceListener, I hope you're jocking... unsure.gif
If you are able to put an exoplanet inside a mass spectrometer, you are a genius! tongue.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 11 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #98

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (SpaceListener @ Mar 11 2009, 02:22 PM) *
How does the team determine its mass?

I assume by the scale of it's influence on the parent star.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 12 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #99

Guests

Correct Doug... examining the star's (periodic) radial velocity(ies) reveals the mass(es) of exo-planet(s).

AdyG --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAT-P-2b

Multiple exo-planets:

+Quote Post
siravan
post Mar 12 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 1472

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 12 2009, 03:58 AM) *
Correct Doug... examining the star's (periodic) radial velocity(ies) reveals the mass(es) of exo-planet(s).

Using radial velocity technique, one can calculate m.sin(i), where m is the mass and i the orbital inclination (for one or more planets). Hence, the radial velocity only determines a lower limit on the mass. If an exoplanet is observed by both radial velocity and transit method, it means i=90 (due to seeing a transit), and that fixed the mass. Planet radius can be calculated by transit method. Therefore, using a combination of radial velocity and transit methods, it is possible to calculate the density (but neither does it alone).

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Mar 12 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 82

One unexpected (to me) fact is that using a planet's transit light curve and its primary's spectroscopic orbit (radial velocity), one can calculate the planet's surface gravity directly, as opposed to indirectly via mass and radius. This was discussed in this thread from a couple of years ago.

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Mar 12 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 4334

When will Kepler begin to actually observe stars?

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Mar 12 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 82

According to the Kepler twitter site, it will be another 50-60 days before science operations start, so early to mid May.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 12 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #104

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Anyone wanting to read some background info about - and comments from people involved in - the Kepler mission should check out Ustrax's new blog, Beyond The Cradle. Some really good stuff on there, written by one of our most passionate and enthusiastic members. He's also been kind enough to use my latest poem, which was inspired by Kepler's mission.

http://beyondthecradle.wordpress.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Mar 12 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #105

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

You're too kind my collab...friend... tongue.gif

Vultur and Mongo, Natalie Batalha told me that the next crucial event will be to eject the dust cover, that's when Kepler will get its first-light image, this will take place two weeks from now, on the 26th...that also when Batalha's will make her appearance at the blog... smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.