it looks very nice
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post May 10 2010, 01:41 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 3967

Here is Phil's new mosaic in a cut 'n' fold constant-scale natural boundary map;
http://rightbasicbuilding.com/asteroid-map...le-phobos-2010/

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 20 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #33

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Here I have reprojected the complete Phobos mosaic from the Cornell control network to that of the recent DLR maps - you can see their maps and data including a shape model here:

http://europlanet.dlr.de/node/index.php?id=214

There are some problems in their map - bad joins between images etc. - and attempting to reproject the original mosaic to fit a problematic base image is never going to produce a perfect match. However, their recalculated pole positions and improved shape in some areas probably make positions on tghis version a bit more reliable. Overlay this over the previous one to see just how much features move between them...

Anyway, if somebody was using the DLR shape for visualization, this is the version of the mosaic that should be used with it.

Phil

new mosaic:

Attached Image

I am now going to wrap all this stuff up with documentation and send it in to PDS.

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Jun 14 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 3967

And, for those of you who insist on the most accurate doodads and nick knacks, here is a link to the constant-scale natural boundary foldable map with the reprojected DLR shape.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 23 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 184

Here is a version of Phil's map with features overlain:

Attached Image

Steve

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
machi
post Feb 23 2012, 11:18 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 4057

Good work!
It looks, that you used vector fonts now, which are prettier than non-vector versions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 23 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #37

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Very nice! (except something seems to have happened to Opik - a mixup with the special character.)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 25 2012, 04:05 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 184

Thanks for the comments and feedback. Earlier I was using the default IDL fonts and now I'm using the TrueType ones. It's been an interesting challenge to get the font edges to look sharp and do the spherical projection remapping in an efficient manner. So far so good with the latest setup.

The special characters such as umlauts are a bit tricky. With IDL I can get the umlaut to show up when I use the default font and run interactively. However when running in batch mode and when using the TrueType fonts it isn't working so far. So for now I made a version stripping off the umlaut for "Opik".

Attached Image

Steve

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.