The Descent into Victoria, Possible and Actual Strategies
BrianL
post Jul 4 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

QUOTE (Stu @ Jul 3 2007, 04:00 PM) *
That "ripple" looks a bit, um, big, dontcha think..? unsure.gif

Nah, if you're really motivated to get to the other side, just keep those wheels churning till you break through it. I don't think it's deep enough to hang her up on her belly.

Just wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif laugh.gif

Brian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jul 4 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #92

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jul 4 2007, 12:42 AM) *
I was wondering why they hadn't made any further progress towards entering the crater lately.

I thought the low activity was due to the US holidays.
It wasn't until this morning that I knew about the press release and the issues with high tau / low power.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jul 4 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 253

Have a look to these two fhazcam images. ohmy.gif
The first one was taken on sol 1216 at 12:44 right after moving on this site, while the second one is from yestersol, sol 1223 at 11:21. The local times are not exactly the same but quite similar and the shadows seen on the first one almost disappeared on the second picture.

Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 4 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #94

Guests

This could be the end of Opportunity.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 4 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #95

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We're at a low of 400whrs (175 more than Spirit at its worst), with the atmospheric opacity improving. Reports of death are premature.

But - any sol could be the end of Opportunity to be honest. I don't think this dust storm makes it any more or less likely.

Doug

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 4 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 152

Thanks for that, Tesheiner. I made an animated gif with this 1217 frame and this 1223 frame. They are only 9 minutes apart in local time, and you can just make out the shadow of the right wheel in the 1223 view, but the shadow of the deck is almost invisible. This really gives you a good sense of how dusty the sky must be. Note that the arm has moved between these frames.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jul 4 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #97

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Reports of impending doom are definitely premature - the Dust storm is clearing so power levels should climb back up into the 600+ range over the next few weeks so long as there are no more storms.

I was very interested to see that my model of the amount of diffuse insolation noticably underestimates the amount of power available when Tau really rises to high numbers - at the stated Tau=3.3 and the current dust loss of 16% my model predicted 360Whr vs the 402Whr that Pando reported.

Assuming that 12% error holds for higher Tau values then Tau would have to rise past 5 and stay there for Opportunity to be in real trouble.

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Jul 4 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #98

Guests

QUOTE (helvick @ Jul 4 2007, 04:44 PM) *
I was very interested to see that my model of the amount of diffuse insolation noticably underestimates the amount of power available when Tau really rises to high numbers - at the stated Tau=3.3 and the current dust loss of 16% my model predicted 360Whr vs the 402Whr that Pando reported.

Nice dust storm to calibrate the model. smile.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jul 4 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #99

Guests

They should try and get some sunset/sunrise pictures, could be very colourful?

+Quote Post
Pando
post Jul 4 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #100

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (helvick @ Jul 4 2007, 09:44 AM) *
...at the stated Tau=3.3 and the current dust loss of 16% my model predicted 360Whr vs the 402Whr that Pando reported.

That was actually from the press release that Tom Tamlyn posted earlier wink.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 4 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #101

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 4 2007, 08:49 AM) *

Attached Image

Man... ohmy.gif ...what a change in such a short time! I wonder if the dust cloud had a discernible edge as seen from the ground. This is one of the most Earth-like changes we've seen on Mars, IMHO.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jul 5 2007, 01:58 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 98

Some Pancam images were taken on sol 1224, no doubt to study the sky during the dust storm. Of course brightness levels of these stretched JPGs are all over the place, but I think it does look dusty. The time was about 3:20 local Mars time.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 5 2007, 04:08 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 105

Interesting animation, Fredk. It is also instructive to make an animation of those two images adjusting the levels of the sunlit areas to be similar in addition to the shadow areas being similar as done previously. The on-the-ground effect is that the shadows appear markedly brighter with increased dust.

Rather the difference between LosAngeles and Palm Springs

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jul 5 2007, 04:15 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 116

The dust seems to have softened the light, making the pancam 1x4 appear prettier than normal on sol 1224. I was waiting for Mike to update the metadata so I could use anti-vignetted images from MMB, but it seems I couldn't fully compensate for the brightness variation between images. I didn't screw with the color balance, because I liked the false color in this set. If someone can correct the brightness banding, this set of pancams will make a gorgeous postcard.
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 5 2007, 05:39 AM
Post #105

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

You're right Cosmic, lovely subtle light here at the moment...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.