21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Perseverance - Early Drives, Sols 14-72
PaulH51
post Mar 7 2021, 12:05 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

Sol 16, another drive smile.gif L-Navcam looking back at the latest set of wheel tracks on Mars...
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
erwan
post Mar 7 2021, 12:16 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 164

after the last sol 16 drive, Perseverance seems to be located here (marked on a mastcam Z sol 11 image)
Attached Image

--------------------

Erwann

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 7 2021, 02:00 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 6540

Looks like the rover took a right turn during its Sol 16 drive:

Attached Image

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/where-is-the-rover/

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Mar 7 2021, 04:34 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 624

If you've noticed the weird donut-shaped raw images on the Skycam, here is a great link on how it works.

https://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2020/eposter/2282.pdf

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 7 2021, 06:40 PM
Post #35

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

New helicopter thread established.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 7 2021, 09:15 PM
Post #36

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I am still trying to understand the Navcam geometry well enough to make panoramas. I put together a very simple one for sol 16 - horizon tier only - at low resolution. It's not perfect (not good enough to post) but good enough to make a circular view to check the sol 16 location on a HiRISE image. Only 5 Navcams are needed for a full panorama like this. It will be nice to see proper panoramas from our experts.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
erwan
post Mar 7 2021, 09:47 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 7 2021, 10:15 PM) *
I am still trying to understand the Navcam geometry well enough to make panoramas. I put together a very simple one for sol 16 - horizon tier only - al low resolution. It's not perfect (not good enough to post) but good enough to make a circular view to check the sol 16 location on a HiRISE image. Only 5 Navcams are needed for a full panorama like this. It will be nice to see proper panoramas from our experts.

Phil

Phil, it is good enough to refine the previous location i gave for sol 16 drive
Attached Image

--------------------

Erwann

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Mar 8 2021, 01:31 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 8974

Odometer

https://mars.nasa.gov/mmgis-maps/M20/Layers...0_traverse.json

has the traverse geojson data which are used on the Where is Perseverance ? map.

The json data also include distances traveled per leg. In addition, it is possible to determine travel distance by measuring along the provided coordinates. Here is a table:

CODE
day: geojson measured
sol 14: 6.25 6.38
sol 15: 36.39 36.53
sol 16: 27.43 28.78

All in meters. There is a small difference and I am not sure why. In any case, total travel sofar is 70m to 72m.

--------------------
--
Andreas Plesch, andreasplesch at gmail dot com

+Quote Post
Julius
post Mar 8 2021, 03:00 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 741

Has it been decided where to send the rover on a north or south route?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 8 2021, 04:12 AM
Post #40

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No. Helicopter operations come before the main traverse.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 8 2021, 10:58 AM
Post #41

QUOTE (Andreas Plesch @ Mar 8 2021, 09:31 AM) *

Andreas,

Nice link for the traverse path JSON. Many thanks

I notice your animated traverse that you show elevation of the terrain around the rover.

Perseverance elevation data is not available in the M20 interactive map geojson files, so I was wondering if you are aware of any external links to the other M20 traverse values such as pitch, roll etc values and especially elevation at each coordinate change that is made available in the Curiosity Rover interactive map geojson files?
Elevation is not hugely interesting in this near flat plain, but it will be of great interest as the rover begins to climb onto the delta and beyond. Any links would be very welcome.

regards,

Paul

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Mar 8 2021, 03:24 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Mar 8 2021, 05:58 AM) *
Andreas,

Nice link for the traverse path JSON. Many thanks

I notice your animated traverse that you show elevation of the terrain around the rover.

Perseverance elevation data is not available in the M20 interactive map geojson files, so I was wondering if you are aware of any external links to the other M20 traverse values such as pitch, roll etc values and especially elevation at each coordinate change that is made available in the Curiosity Rover interactive map geojson files?
Elevation is not hugely interesting in this near flat plain, but it will be of great interest as the rover begins to climb onto the delta and beyond. Any links would be very welcome.

regards,

Paul

The Where is the rover map uses a few more geojson files, see http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=250647 . The way points geojson has yaw, pitch roll data.

I just learned about the PDS PLACES database: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=250716

I think the geojson comes directly from there. There should be elevation (or Z data) but it is not provided in the geojson. I use the 1m HiRISE mosaic DEM linked from: https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/map/Ma...tTs0_lon0_first for querying elevation.

The DEM and the imagery should be very well co-registered. In my animated traverse due to slight 3d perspective viewing the rover appears a little offset from the traverse since it is offset above ground level. If the geojson included elevation, I could use that as well.

Regarding the odometer data, the distances from the geojson may be straight from the rover, using wheel rotations although the coordinates may also be straight from the rover (with subsequent conversion to latitude/longitude). I used projected, equirectangular coordinates to measure distances which is strictly speaking not quite correct but probably still ok at 18 degrees latitude. In any case, it could not explain a >1m discrepancy in distances. Perhaps the geojson distance is the straight line distance between way points, not along the path but this is inconsistent with the last leg which is almost perfectly straight and has the largest difference.

--------------------
--

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Mar 8 2021, 08:04 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 6540

The Sol 17 raw images are online. There's a lot of images of the robotic arm.

Here's a good image of the business end of the arm, the coring drill, framed by a Martian landscape:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 9 2021, 12:57 AM
Post #44

Looks like we have arrived at a candidate Helipad. This posted on social media.

I’ve continued driving to scout a spot where I’ll drop off the Mars Helicopter, if the area gets certified as a flight zone. So far, about 230 feet (70 meters) of wheel tracks behind me.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andreas Plesch
post Mar 9 2021, 01:08 AM
Post #45

The arm got a workout for each axis. Click to animate:

Attached Image

has a color equalize for each frame (the blueish sky is not real).

--------------------
--

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.