Reply to this topicStart new topic
Triton's gravitational capture
jasedm
post Nov 25 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a computer simulation (video) of Triton's theorised gravitational capture into Neptune orbit via one half of a proposed binary KBO (where the other member of the binary pair is ejected)?

I've searched the internet and can only find a couple of Youtube videos which are not particularly detailed.

Any help much appreciated.

Jase
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Nov 25 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 184

Unsure about a video though here is an artists rendition that is based on one of my Triton maps. This was written about by Craig Agnor in Nature.

https://currents.ucsc.edu/05-06/05-15/triton.asp

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Nov 25 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (jasedm @ Nov 25 2018, 11:46 AM) *
I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of a computer simulation (video) of Triton's theorised gravitational capture into Neptune orbit via one half of a proposed binary KBO

IIRC, recent paper and modelling of ice giant moons formation suggests that Triton was a lone KBO.
Triton would have been captured by Nepute based on a statistically average contingent of moons around Neptune.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Nov 29 2018, 04:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 655

Thank you both for replies, it seems that Triton's capture is not in dispute, but the exact mechanism is

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.