Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mercury Transit 2019, November 11, 2019 transit
JRehling
post Nov 9 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

Just a heads-up to anyone who would like to witness this event, the upcoming transit will be the last until 2032. I saw the 1999 transit and the purity of the blackness and roundness of Mercury against the Sun's disc is something to see. Now, I'm left to hoping that weather will permit me to view it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Nov 11 2019, 01:17 PM
Post #2

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I took this with my 60mm spotting scope and 45X zoom.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 12 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #3

That's great! If you don't mind, here is your image after the same transformations I applied to the picture I took of the 2012 transit of Venus taken the same way, undistorting it and realigning the RGB layers.

I took dozens of pictures of this transit but it's a tough target and telescopes designed for general purpose are not optimized for the Sun. Heating the air inside my SCT causes turbulence and there's no way to shoot the Sun for an hour without that happening. Your spotter scope did a nicer job of capturing it all in color, holistically, than my determined efforts to maximize magnification, but here's one of my zooms taken in IR that came out decently.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post Nov 16 2019, 09:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6597

It was a really wonderful transit. I took this image from home:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Nov 20 2019, 05:41 PM
Post #5

That's great! It's a fun event. I placed my transit closeup next to the best pictures I've taken of Mercury and it was fun to see how big it appears compared to other situations. Too bad that (comparatively) large disk is all black instead of showing the day side.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.