Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons at Io
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 27 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #31

SewingMachine

Group: Members
Member No.: 510

Looks like Prometheus shows up okay in the short exposure too, waaaay stretched:

Attached Image

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Feb 27 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (john_s @ Feb 27 2007, 07:38 PM) *
Apparently slooh.com will be trying to do something to broadcast it- they have a 7-day free trial membership.

Too bad that doesn't look like a very good option. For the trial you need to get yourself the most expensive account and cancel within a week. That's something I don't really like, and wouldn't be an option for me anyway, as I don't have a creditcard.

If there's a way you could get me a videoclip of the lecture I'll put up a torrent to share it, and archive it on my webserver later. If that fails I also would be happy with just a sound recording and the slides of the lecture, so I can make a flash movie out off it to share with the world smile.gif

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Feb 27 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #33

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 27 2007, 06:29 PM) *
Bjorn, we already know the time when the image was taken: 2007-02-26 08:40:04 UTC

I was too excited to notice wink.gif.

Here is a shaded computer rendering showing the area visible in NH's photo in detail:

Attached Image

And a diagram-like one:
Attached Image

There's something that looks like mountains like the terminator as had been indicated by John.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 27 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 23

Sorry I have been slacking off on the image previews. I've been sick the last couple of days and today has been extremely hectic at work!

I'll try to get the last two days work up tonight. Nice work everyone on these images that showed up this morning. I've only had a short amount of time to look at them unfortunately.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
lyford
post Feb 27 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 27 2007, 10:46 AM) *
Looks like Prometheus shows up okay in the short exposure too, waaaay stretched:

Attached Image

clink clink clink clink tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Feb 27 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Feb 27 2007, 07:02 PM) *
I was too excited to notice wink.gif.

Here is a shaded computer rendering showing the area visible in NH's photo in detail:

Attached Image

Someone should subtract this image from the New Horizons image in photoshop to spot the biggest surface changes.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Feb 27 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #37

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Wahoo! Great images everyone. You could have a NH pic of the day for the next few months as the rest of them stream down! wink.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 27 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #38

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

"Someone should subtract this image from the New Horizons image in photoshop to spot the biggest surface changes."

What, like this?

It's a good idea, but Io looks so different in different fliters that it's no use unless the filter matches exactly. However, this is a first look at the question.

A is the big plume deposit - that does look different between old and new images. B is a smaller but real change. There are lots of smaller changes, but they get messed up by the filter issues. Wait for the real data - then it will be possible to do something.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 27 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 530

I'm wondering if the big new streak pointing southwest in the lower right quadrant of the new photo is new, or if it just doesn't show up in the low-res chunk of the composite image that happens to be there.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 27 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #40

Interesting ratio, Phil. Looks like something big happened at Shango Patera

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Feb 27 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 347

Here's a processed image from both exposures, with color data from the rendered view. Hope this helps in identifying changes. At least is a nice new Io image!

Some changes are visible :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 27 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #42

The map that Bjorn presents includes some Voyager data as well, so some of the changes seen between NH and this simulated view may actually be changes that occured between Galileo and Voyager. Check out this view from Galileo:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 27 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #43

Guests

Here is the aforementioned press release.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 27 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 523

While trying to match Bjorn's rendered view to the LORRI image, I notice the right hand side (near the terminator) features are way off while the left hand side fits perfectly. It's as though at a single longitude someone ripped off the texture and misplaced it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 27 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #45

Yesterday, February 26, New Horizons conducts one monitoring observation with the LORRI camera focusing on the leading hemisphere, two "HiRes" observations with LORRI and RALPH instruments focusing on the leading and anti-Jovian hemisphere, as well some observations of Io's atmosphere with ALICE during a stellar occultation.

Please keep in mind that these are simulations of the LORRI frames from Celestia, not the LORRI frames themselves...with one exception

Attached Image

The first observation, Iocc1, is a stellar occultation of Io's atmosphere using the ALICE instrument. LORRI will also get a single frame shows Io's leading/pro-Jovian hemisphere (Clat=6.6 S, Clon=35.1 W) from a distance of 4,546,235 km. The resolution with LORRI would be 22.5 km/pixel. The Tvashtar plume should be at its fullest extent at upper left since Tvashtar is right on the limb.

Attached Image
Attached Image

The second observation, ISunMon9, shows Io's leading hemisphere (Clat=7.1 S, Clon=68.2 W) from a distance of 4,085,950 km. The resolution with LORRI would be 20.2 km/pixel. This observation is now on the ground so I don't think I need to discuss this much, but the Tvashtar and Prometheus plumes are visible along the bright limb, and volcanoes such as Lei Zi Fluctus and Masubi are highlighted.

Attached Image

The third observation, Ihiresir1, marks the start of high resolution observations at Io. The observation consists of both LORRI and RALPH frames (to look at Io in color and to examine the current distribution of hot spots). It will show Io's leading hemisphere (Clat=8.6 S, Clon=145.7 W) from a distance of 3,065,158 km. The resolution with LORRI would be 15.2 km/pixel. Prometheus is now front and center from this viewpoint. If Pillan is active, its plume might be visible at left.

Attached Image

The final observation, Ihires1, shows Io's anti-Jovian hemisphere Clat=8.6 S, Clon=145.7 W) from a distance of 2,880,909 km. The resolution with LORRI would be 14.2 km/pixel. The observation consists of both LORRI and RALPH frames (to look at Io in color and to examine the current distribution of hot spots). Prometheus has now rotated over to the right and Pele is now on the limb. *Maybe* its plume will be visible. The Tvashtar image above gives me hope.

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.