IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ice Beneath Mars Is Asking, "can You Hear Me Now?"
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Oct 27 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Guests

A routine communications test in 2003 yields some other interesting, unexpected results:

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/sp...t/20051024.html

huh.gif

Thankfully, the communications team didn't ignore the "noise" from the original test (now thought to be genuine subsurface echoes) and the bi-static radar experiment is now looking for subsurface ice through October, until just past Halloween.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mike
post Oct 27 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

I wonder how much 'Evian Mars' will cost here on Earth.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 27 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 385

I tought that the subsurface radar are done best by ones of very low frequency (60-120 Hz) that UHF is not the same. I am still doubtfull about the interpretation of echoes comes from subsurface instead of Mars surface.

At this point, I am not well skilled on the radar matters. But, the transmission of radio UHF waves from one point to another is affected by many variables such as atmospheric moisture, the stream of particles from the sun called solar wind, and time of day.

All radio waves are somewhat absorbed by atmospheric moisture. This reduces, or attenuates, the strength of radio signals over long distances. However, this effect increases according to the frequency: UHF (300 Mhz - 3.0 Ghz) signals are generally more degraded by moisture than lower bands such as VHF.

As well, the layer of the Earth's atmosphere called the ionosphere is filled with charged particles that can reflect radio waves. This can be helpful in transmitting a radio signal, since the wave bounces from the sky to the ground over and over, convering long distances. However, UHF benefits less from this effect than lower (VHF, etc.) frequencies.

As the atmosphere warms and cools throughout the day, UHF transmissions may be enhanced by tropospheric ducting.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (mike @ Oct 27 2005, 11:10 AM)
I wonder how much 'Evian Mars' will cost here on Earth.

Rather pricey I would imagine. smile.gif

I like the idea of bottled Martian water though...

I'm wondering also, when I posted this, I typed the 'c' in can (in the title) in caps and it looked ok in the preview, but came out lowercase in the post - ? I wish there was a way of editing the titles of posts as well as the body text. I couldn't see a way of deleting the post either and then re-posting it. Any helpful tricks for this?

+Quote Post
odave
post Oct 27 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 209

I remember Doug saying in some other post (I searched for it but couldn't get the right keyword combo) that he has the board set to not let two shifted characters exist side by side in a title. For example, type "MRO" for a title, and you get "Mro" back. I think the quotation mark in the title of this thread probably counts as a shifted character, so the board lowercased your "C".

Doug said he did this to prevent titles from being ALL IN CAPS...

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
Guest_RGClark_*
post Oct 29 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (paulanderson @ Oct 27 2005, 07:45 PM)
Rather pricey I would imagine.  smile.gif

I like the idea of bottled Martian water though...

Beware the subsurface microbes though!

wink.gif

- Bob

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:17 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.