5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ring plane crossing sequence
ugordan
post Jan 19 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Here's a quick'n'dirty sequence of wide-angle frames acquired around Cassini's recent ring plane crossing. I've reduced the size to 50% to make the GIF more manageable, the full sized sequence is a tad over 5 megabytes.

Cassini was moving north so the near side of the rings moves down here. Things to note in the movie:
1. the near side is noticeably brighter than the far side, likely due to saturnshine.
2. the Cassini gap becomes brighter at low inclinations, both the lit and unlit sides.
3. there's a quick, dark spoke at the beginning of the sequence visible. It's visible in the 2-4th frames

There's a bit of static hot pixels I haven't removed yet. Not very visible in the reduced resolution but noticeable in the full resolution. There are also a few moons running around, either Mimas or Enceladus and perhaps Prometheus/Pandora.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 19 2007, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Guests

Hvala lijepa for sharing this gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 19 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #3

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 19 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #4

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Stunning - I hadn't realised just how dramatic the illumination change would be as the viewpoint moves from one side of the rings to the other.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 19 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #5

To be honest, you can't directly compare the bightnesses of the lit and unlit sides from this movie. Raw histogram stretching comes into play here -- the dark side is well... darker than the lit more than is shown here, but I guess not by much (judging by F ring's appearance).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jan 19 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1102

Which moon or moons are flying by?

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 19 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I was thinking about putting that together -- glad you beat me to it, ugordan! That is totally awesome.

I played with the view on space.jpl.nasa.gov and I think it's Enceladus that crosses the view while Cassini's below the ring plane (on the sunlit side), and Mimas that crosses while Cassini's above the ring plane (on the shadowed side).

--Emily

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 19 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 197

Congratulations Ugordan for a fantastic product and thank you for all your hard work. You've really helped to make these Cassini images "come alive."

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 19 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #9

Now, Dan, you really give me too much credit! It was a simple case of downloading the raws and shoving them into an animation. No magic or advanced processing! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 19 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #10

Guests

As usual, Gordan, nice work! Keep those Cassini image products comin'! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 19 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #11

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (helvick @ Jan 19 2007, 06:13 PM) *
Stunning - I hadn't realised just how dramatic the illumination change would be as the viewpoint moves from one side of the rings to the other.

The rings appear *much* darker on the unlit side. The difference is even greater than this sequence shows, at least at low phase angles where the lit side appears much brigher than it does at high phase angles. I may post calibrated PDS images sometime in the next several days showing this.

Very nice sequence of images.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 20 2007, 01:29 AM
Post #12

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Wow, there are actually a pile of moons in this animation: Enceladus and Mimas are the big ones, but Janus, Epimetheus, Pandora, and Prometheus all make an appearance. I made an annotated version (click to animate). According to the Saturn viewer tools at the PDS rings node, Calypso should actually also be in the field of view late in the animation (after the small moons disappear but before Mimas appears), but I couldn't find it.

Attached Image

--Emily

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jan 20 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 114

Emily you rock!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 20 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #14

Here's another short movie, Atlas moving towards Saturn's shadow. Nothing spectacular.

Full res can be found here (4.5 MB).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nix
post Jan 20 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #15

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

Great work Ugordan! I've been looking at what you do a lot and your collection is awesome. Especially your work with the calibrated data.

Being a Marsaholic myself I haven't played a lot with imagery from the Cassini mission, but here's my first ever! -don't ask about the colors (just a bit of messing around laugh.gif )

Could anyone tell me what Moon is visible in the top part of the image?
(the filename still has the raw image number in it)

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th July 2020 - 12:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.