6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto System Cartography, places and names
Habukaz
post Jul 28 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7310

BuzzFeed have gotten their hands on how the NH team plans to name features on both Pluto and Charon: http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkasprak/the-vader-crater

The names give some clues for how the science team is interpreting things: you find things named fossa, vallis, cavus, rupes, dorsa and linea - all on Pluto.

EDIT: The maps on the mission website:

Pluto
Sputnik plain and surroundings
Charon

This post has been edited by Habukaz: Dec 20 2015, 09:11 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 28 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 530

Cousteau Rupes! It's an escarpment!

Charon has Star Trek and Star Wars names...

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 29 2015, 12:18 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3995

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Jul 28 2015, 03:17 PM) *
BuzzFeed has gotten their hands on how the NH team plans to name features on both Pluto and Charon: http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkasprak/the-vader-crater

It's interesting that the Baré and al-Idrisi Montes have been named, even though those areas are vague in the images released so far. Hopefully, we'll get a peak soon (no pun intended).... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 29 2015, 01:31 AM
Post #4

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Antdoghalo @ Jul 28 2015, 09:59 PM) *
Unfortunately I am unable to view images as large as 16K. Are you working on a map of Charon too? The animation sounds like it will be awesome to see when it's done.

I did a map of Charon that I posted earlier in the thread, i.e. here. There isn't a lot of new Charon images since I posted it but nevertheless I may update it later this week.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jul 29 2015, 03:10 AM
Post #5

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

I've uploaded a version of the Johns Hopkins/SWRI map labeled with feature names at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07...eposted-public/

Edit: Added Charon based on your map, Bjorn: https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07...eposted-public/

Interesting how they've set up the various schema. Charon's Chasmata are named after fictional vehicles, craters after characters, ect. I can imagine people developing an interest in planetary cartography thanks to what they're doing here.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jul 29 2015, 11:42 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 105

They have developed a unique naming strategy. At their public naming campaign website, http://www.ourpluto.org/home, there is the full (and wacky) list of names submitted to the IAU for their perusal.

Initial Proposal to the IAU, July 7, 2015
http://www.ourpluto.org/pluto

The Naming of Names at a site is a long and honorable geological tradition. During the delay in getting out preliminary names for the Rosetta mission I managed to go through the Rocky and Bulwinkle pantheon for my informal names...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jul 29 2015, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7390

QUOTE (neo56 @ Jul 28 2015, 02:47 PM) *
Here is my take on the LORRI mosaic, rotated and very slightly sharpened. I colorized it with the 2x2 color picture of Pluto. Since this color low resolution picture and the B&W LORRI mosaic didn't overlap correctly with simple rotation, translation or shearing, I cut the color picture into 50 segments. Then I warped each segment to match the LORRI mosaic. It took me hours of work on Gimp but the result is worth it smile.gif

Every time I look at a nicely rendered image of Sputnik Planum, I really want to call it Sputnik Lacus. That sure looks like a frozen shoreline in the northwest quadrant, with the frozen nitrogen flows.

Andy

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 29 2015, 05:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Jul 29 2015, 03:10 AM) *
Interesting how they've set up the various schema. Charon's Chasmata are named after fictional vehicles, craters after characters, ect. I can imagine people developing an interest in planetary cartography thanks to what they're doing here.

Nicely done feature names and such on the maps. I wonder if the eastern part of Serenity Chasma on Charon is more of an escarpment, or if that's just a trick of the lighting and resolution?

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 30 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #9

Just a little cleanup for my Pluto map:

Attached Image

Full resolution is here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4throck
post Jul 31 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6792

QUOTE (scalbers @ Jul 30 2015, 09:59 PM) *
Just a little cleanup for my Pluto map:

Great work as always!
Any chance of filling the bottom of the map with Hubble / occultation data ?

--------------------
www.astrosurf.com/nunes

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 31 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

MOD NOTE: One post (& two responses to same) hidden that was less about cartography than it was about IAU complaints & snark re the NH team. See rules 1.9 and 2.6.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Aug 2 2015, 02:39 AM
Post #12

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

An exhaustive treatment of the proposed names from io9's Mika McKinnon, complete with biographies and illustrations: http://space.io9.com/were-actively-creatin...iver-1721448557

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Aug 4 2015, 06:45 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (4throck @ Jul 31 2015, 02:06 PM) *
Any chance of filling the bottom of the map with Hubble / occultation data ?

Good idea 4throck. Here is a preliminary version at 2K resolution. Full res is at the website in my signature.

Attached Image

EDIT: Fixed longitude (hopefully) of FOC image at 2216UTC

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Aug 6 2015, 06:01 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 426

Nice to see that they have named large features after Tombaugh and Lowell.

I hope they can find someplace to fit Vesto Slipher and Carl Lampland.

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Aug 6 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4972

That's awesome, no more of that blank space! With it one can guess that Balrog Macula and Cthulhu Regio to a lesser extent may extend well into the southern hemisphere. Perhaps like Paul Schenk's map of Triton, any Charonshine images could be used to fill further data into this region to confirm it.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:05 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.