dburt
post Nov 5 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (slinted @ Nov 1 2007, 08:00 AM) *
And, just for fun, here is one of the Columbia Hills:

and one of Victoria Crater (I think...)

Slinted - Those are really neat images. The Columbia Hills one, if nothing else, shows there there is certainly no shortage of various sizes of impact craters in the vicinity, consistent with the hypothesis that the Home Plate deposits could just as well be a small erosional remnant of impact surge as of volcanic surge. smile.gif

The "Victoria Crater" one (actually, as noted in a later post, Endeavor and the top half of Erebus) clearly shows a linear pattern of what appear to be crater ejecta, radiating topwards either from Victoria or, more likely, from what appears to be an older, larger, sand-filled crater just to its left - consistent with the hypothesis that the finely layered rocks of Meridiani could be fine impact ejecta (impact surge deposits) resulting from multiple impacts. Such a radiating pattern is difficult to see in simple visible images. Keep up the exploratory imaging work. You could make some discoveries!

-- HDP Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Nov 27 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 1638

CRISM captures Phobos and Deimos:

http://crism.jhuapl.edu/gallery/featuredIm...amp;image_id=98

These CRISM measurements are the first spectral measurements to resolve the disk of Deimos, and the first of this part of Phobos to cover the full wavelength range needed to assess the presence of iron-, water-, and carbon-containing minerals.

Looks like the page has a broken image; the image is here.

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 27 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #78

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Phobos 2 images show the extent of the blue-grey unit on the other hemisphere. This nicely fills the gap in Phobos 2 imaging. Viking colour was useless for this type of work.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Dec 21 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 675

There are many new CRISM images of potenital MSL landing sites here.

Steve M

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 20 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #80

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Good article on clay identification on Mars using CRISM:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/080320-...mars-water.html

And Figure 1A-C (here.) is an excellent example of how to use spectral information to identify clay minerals.

This is the key to the clay groups and spectral line colors in Figure 1A-B:
blue = Al-phyllosilicate
orange = Fe/Mg-smectite
green = the hydrated silica/mica

(Look carefully at the subtle differences in the valleys near 1.9 um, 2.2 um and 2.3 um for the different minerals. I had to stare at it for a few minutes before I saw the differences.)

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Apr 25 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #81

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Recent article in Icarus:

Cloutis et al. Icarus 195 (2008) 140-168. "Spectral reflectance properties of minerals exposed to simulated Mars surface conditions." doi: 10.1016/j.icarus.2007.10.028. (pay-for article, Abstract available here)

Lotsa mineral spectra.

From skimming the article, it appears that for most minerals exposure to martian conditions doesn't drastically change the reflectance spectra. (The big exception was in some of the Fe(III) sulfates that did visibly change the color based on exposure time). So for the most part (and especially for carbonates, hydroxides, and hydrates), it means that the spectra you get on Earth are what you would expect on Mars. There is nothing "weird" going on....

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 25 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #82

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Anyone notice this?

CRISM Data Products: Viewing Features on Mars Web site

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Oct 7 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 6336

CRISM data continues to spur scientific papers, and in this case researchers from Hong Kong have identified an ancient large ocean on Mars.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Oct 9 2017, 03:34 AM
Post #84

Member No.: 745

The study, published in Nature Communications, is openly available. It is a fascinating read.

Ancient hydrothermal seafloor deposits

Paul Niles at Johnson Space Center was a co-author on the study. NASA has a press release:

Mars Study Yields Clues to Possible Cradle of Life

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 10 2017, 03:34 AM
Post #85

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Two posts deleted due to a mistake. No harm, no foul, just housekeeping. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Oct 10 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 6336

Thank you Ron for the heads up with that link. =)

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Nov 26 2018, 04:16 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 6842

Somewhat worrying news about the validity of CRISM data for perchlorates: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi...29/2018GL080077

The paper shows there's a processing artifact that mimics the apeparance of several minerals, including perchlorates (which allow the existence of briny liquid water at very cold temperatures).

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.