IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager-1 at 100 AU!, A space milestone this month
which milestone is more important?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
dilo
post Aug 11 2006, 06:29 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

While Space simulator tell us today as the 100AU-from-Sun day, Heavens-above site suggest we have to wait tomorrow... (Voyager1 covers 0.010 AU/day):
Attached Image

The official sites still not mention the milestone, let's see in the next hours! rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, we can start the two weeks long celebrations... biggrin.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 11 2006, 01:46 PM
Post #32

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Party Poopers! Celebrate both occasions...

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Aug 11 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 471

Here's my 100 AU prediction: August 12, 2006, 11:30 UT

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Aug 12 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 471

11:25 UT ...

- http://www.heavens-above.com/solar-escape....logne&TZ=CE

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Planet X
post Aug 12 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 639

Why is there such a lack of coverage on this important milestone? I mean, I've seen nothing about it on the news, other sites, or even the Voyager homepage!

BTW, Voyager 2 will reach 100 AU in mid-November 2012, while slowpoke Pioneer 11 will take until late-January 2019 to reach 100 AU! Later!

J P

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 15 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #36

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Planetary Radio covered it this week with Ed Stone as the guest smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 15 2006, 03:21 PM
Post #37

Thanks for the highlight, Doug!
Ed had the incredible privilege to follow Voyager mission from development stage to Interstella Mission (34 years, till now! ohmy.gif ).

Meanwhile, I made these plots based on weekly reports published in the Voyager sites (source: http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/weekly...orts/index.htm).
Attached Image
Attached Image

While first one show historic distance and velocity from Sun, second one is the most interesting because reports the propellent and power availability in last 11 years.
If we exclude very last points (which are probably wrong), linear interpolation show that hydrazine, with current consumption rate, should last 45 years on V1 and 50 years on V2.
On the energy side, Voyager-2 has a constant, 6 months advantage over his brother. The negative-exponential power interpolation of last 5 years trend suggest an average half-life time of 47 years (it was slightly shorter in previous years) - I guess this is the product of plutonium decay and termocouple/electronics slow degrade...
Finally, the margin figures are a little bit misterious to me, because the difference between actual power output and this margin isn't constant... anyway, shouldn't be so important for spacecraft life because, fortunately, they can switch off instruments in order to increase that margin. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Aug 15 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 430

Very nice charts, Dilo, thanks.

Considering that Voyager 1 visited fewer worlds than Voyager 2 and it
would therefore be assumed that it used less propellant, why does it have
less hydrazine in fact?

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
remcook
post Aug 15 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #39

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (dilo)
I made these plots based on weekly reports published in the Voyager sites

Good to know I'm not the only one nerdy enough to do this biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 15 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #40

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It's only a couple of Kg - it may well be that the trajectory for the initial launches were such that additional payload capacity was available for V2 and thus it was tanked up a little heavier. (Identical LV's on slightly different traj's would suggest slightly different mass budgets perhaps)

Perhaps because V1 was the first one out the gate, the lessons learnt on how to minimise fuel useage were learnt on V1 and carried over to V2.

And it's not hard to imagine one extreme safing event causing a big chunk of fuel useage at some point during a 20+ year mission.

Lots of reasons that could cause the difference.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Aug 15 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #41

Guests

The Voyager 2 launch window has been more demanding for the Titan 3E. Voyager 1 has been the less demanding and only because of this very reason the Centaur upper stage of this launch vehicle was able to compensate for a Titan second stage propellant leak and the resulting underspeed. Voyager 1 needed a pretty high delta v to target for the Saturn and Titan encounters (and occultations) after the Jupiter flyby.

I have been locking for more engineering details abaout Voyager, including TCMs. Never found much.

Analyst

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Aug 15 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 430

The Guardian had an editorial on the Voyager 1 100 AU anniversary in
its August 8 edition here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/leaders/story/0,,1839454,00.html

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 16 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #43

Finally, JPL news reported it!
The date is 3/4 days after what we said based on SpaceSimulator and HeavensAbove... huh.gif
(thanks to Max site for the highlight).

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Aug 17 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #44

...and NASA too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Aug 19 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 385

New Horizonts salutes Voyager.

Though New Horizons will also reach 100 AU, it will never pass Voyager 1, because Voyager was boosted by multiple gravity assists that make its speed faster than New Horizons will travel. Voyager 1 is escaping the solar system at 17 kilometers per second. When New Horizons reaches that same distance 32 years from now, propelled by a single planetary swingby, it will be moving about 13 kilometers per second.

New Horizons will reach 100 AU in December 2038.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.