Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stardust-NExT, Revisiting Tempel 1
MizarKey
post Feb 21 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #226

Group: Members
Member No.: 45

QUOTE (Juramike @ Feb 17 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Animated sequence from just before C/A to about 2500 km out. Individual images have been rotated and registered to minimize rotation:

Full-res here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/5454806379/

(I needed to register the images for an outreach talk at a local museum: I'm working on a shorter animated GIF of the departure sequence.)

Wow, that's sweet. Reminds me of the encounter with Mathilde. Thanks for the animation.

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
machi
post Feb 21 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #227

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (Juramike @ Feb 20 2011, 03:16 AM) *
The full animation sequence is now up on Planetary Photojournal: PIA13867

I've finished the two animated sequence I was going after, they are on my flickr page if anyone is interested:
Back and forth rock sequence nearest C/A
Departure sequence (13 frames selected)

I think, that your, Emily's and Ian's versions are actually better than the official one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Feb 23 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #228

Member No.: 4057

I looked at best image of the comet Tempel 1 with jets and I tried some basic comparison with old Deep Impact's images.
Notable change is missing massive jet, which is visible on the left in Deep Impact images.
Another thing is, that Stardust's images are in fact better in terms of resolution of jets, because in better (with higher resolution) images from Deep Impact
jets were drowned out by Impactor's explosion.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 16 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #229

Member No.: 530

http://stardustnext.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/m...tatus11_q1.html

Stardust: I'm not dead yet.

March 16, 2011
The spacecraft continues its post-encounter cruise. All subsystems continue to operate as expected. The team is preparing for the decommissioning maneuver, and the decommissioning plan has been prepared and reviewed. The primary date for the decommissioning activity is March 24, with a back-up opportunity on April 7. The Decommissioning Review has been scheduled for March 18 at JPL.

Decom "maneuver" makes me wonder if they're planning a burn to depletion to see what propellant they had left.

+Quote Post
toddbronco2
post Mar 17 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 5281

I asked the Project Manager, Tim Larson, precisely that question back before the Tempel 1 flyby and he indicated that indeed, a burn to depletion is planned in the decommissioning. Such a maneuver provides a valuable opportunity to test the precision of several methods of modeling the remaining fuel onboard and that validation can benefit other JPL and NASA missions.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 23 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #231

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Time to say goodbye.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-094

Tomorrow night, PDT.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 24 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #232

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Someone needs to update the blurb at the end.

Stardust-NExT is a low-cost mission that will expand the investigation of comet Tempel 1 initiated by NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft. JPL, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages Stardust-NExT for the NASA Science Mission Directorate, Washington, D.C. Joe Veverka of Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., is the mission's principal investigator. Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver, built the spacecraft and manages day-to-day mission operations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 24 2011, 01:24 AM
Post #233

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The boilerplate press blurb is on overtime as well I think smile.gif

+Quote Post
Poolio
post Mar 24 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #234

Member No.: 4469

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Mar 23 2011, 08:14 PM) *
Someone needs to update the blurb at the end.

Looks like someone did. Future verb tense has been replaced with the infinitive.

Nice way to end a mission. It doesn't mention it in the article, but is the burn designed to send the craft in any particular direction, e.g., a long slow spiral into the sun? It mentions that the post-burn trajectory is somewhat unknown (contingent on the length of the burn), and the projection itself would seem to suggest that there is some interest in getting it out of our neighborhood.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 24 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #235

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

In orbital dynamics there's no such thing as a 'long slow spiral into the sun'. You make a change in velocity with the rocket burn, that defines a new orbit, and you stay in that orbit forever unless something else disturbs you (like a planetary flyby). The main concern here was that the orbit would not impact Mars or Earth. The small and unpredictable thrust most likely made only a small difference to the orbit anyway.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Poolio
post Mar 24 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #236

Member No.: 4469

Thanks for straightening me out, Phil. I probably should have known this; I've read enough that I should understand by now how it works, but my Earth-bound mind insists on thinking in terms of friction and drag and loss of momentum.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 24 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 530

There was some new info on the status page... they actually decided to hurry things up a few days ago.

March 18, 2011
The spacecraft continues its post-encounter cruise. The decommissioning review was held on March 18, with the board recommending six actions to be addressed prior to the planned April 7 decommissioning activity. However, a 2 psi pressure drop was observed in the fuel tank over the weekend, leading the propulsion experts to believe that a gas bubble has made its way into the propellant management device, implying the tank might be getting to the end of the propellant. This prompted the team to reconsider the planned date for the decommissioning. With the consent of senior management and NASA HQ, the decommissioning burn will be executed on March 24. This will help the team determine how much fuel is actually left in the tank, providing data that will be valuable to other missions nearing the end of their fuel supply. After this activity, the spacecraft will be commanded into safe mode with the transmitter off. This will mark the end of a wonderful 12 year mission for the Stardust spacecraft. During that time it has flown by an asteroid and two comets, and returned samples of comet dust to earth for detailed study.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 25 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #238

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 24 2011, 04:53 AM) *
The main concern here was that the orbit would not impact Mars or Earth.

If a controllable (key word) impact with Earth were feasible, I'd actually consider that a useful EOL maneuver. Not only would the spacecraft be decisively desposed of, but if done in a widely observable (but safe) way it would be a nice outreach opportunity...an artificial bolide.

Perhaps this will be practical for some future mission.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
monty python
post Mar 25 2011, 06:34 AM
Post #239

Member No.: 692

Mission complete. The engine burned for 146 seconds.

Goodbye old friend.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 3 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #240

Member No.: 523

Just a heads-up that the Tempel 1 flyby data is now available at the PDS Small Bodies Node.
One takeaway image, before closest approach:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.