Reply to this topicStart new topic
Neil
Tesheiner
post Aug 26 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #16

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.
We were fortunate to see you make History on Jul 69.

For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.

wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 26 2012, 07:58 AM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

In August 2011, Neil Armstrong came downunder to speak at an event by the Certified Practising Accountants of Australia.

During his visit, he sat down for an amazing interview series.
Probably one of the defintive interviews of his career.
http://thebottomline.cpaaustralia.com.au/

Remember 'Wink at the Moon' wink.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 26 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #18

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I've winked at the Moon several times this evening. It helps to dissapate the tears...though not all of those are sad.

Many are for a life well-lived, for an example of modesty & ability well worth emulating.

We were pretty damn lucky to have him, in so many ways.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Keatah
post Aug 26 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 4206

I went to a concert today and one of the guests attending with us asked me why I kept looking at the sky. I had no particular reason to do so, just doing it for no reason. Then tonight I read the message boards.. When I met the guy years and years ago on technical assignment I always thought we'd live forever, and thought nothing more about it for years until now.

+Quote Post
Mr Valiant
post Aug 26 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5275

Friends, I am an observer. I've posted little, but marvelled much at the great work that has been done on this forum.
And why am I here? My age alone should be a clue. I am 49.
Just like Astro0, I'm here in the antipodes, though when 'we' landed on the Moon, I was a child in England. To this day, I
thank my father for getting me out of bed to wittness the landing. When Buzz spoke those words, 'Picking up some dust',
the very few that we mere mortals could understand out of the electric mayhem, I remember my father (edge of the seat)
saying, 'They're getting close'.
I read the news on the internet this morning, I had to speak to someone. I rang home and spoke to my Mum.
"They aren't supposed to grow old", is what I said.
These people, all these people, were my Super Heroes.
God speed, Neil Armstrong.

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Aug 26 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #21

Guests

We still need an official name for Mount Sharp. I'm thinking that naming it after Neil Armstrong might be a good idea?

The Apollo 11 crew gave their thoughts on their accomplishment in a TV transmission on the way back from the moon. Armstrongs words were as always very thoughtful and carefully crafted:

http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/25day8-reentry-stowage.htm

"Armstrong: Good evening. This is the Commander of Apollo 11. A hundred years ago, Jules Verne wrote a book about a voyage to the Moon. His spaceship, Columbia, took off from Florida and landed in the Pacific Ocean after completing a trip to the Moon. It seems appropriate to us to share with you some of the reflections of the crew as the modern-day Columbia completes its rendezvous with the planet Earth and the same Pacific Ocean tomorrow. [...]
The responsibility for this flight lies first with history and with the giants of science who have preceded this effort. Next with the American people, who have through their will, indicated their desire. Next, to four administrations, and their Congresses, for implementing that will. And then, to the agency and industry teams that built our spacecraft, the Saturn, the Columbia, the Eagle, and the little EMU; the space suit and backpack that was our small spacecraft out on the lunar surface. We'd like to give a special thanks to all those Americans who built those spacecraft, who did the construction, design, the tests, and put their - their hearts and all their abilities into those craft. To those people, tonight, we give a special thank you, and to all the other people that are listening and watching tonight, God bless you. Good night from Apollo 11. "

+Quote Post
Stardust9906
post Aug 26 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 282

RIP Neil Armstrong and thank you for the most momentous event in human history.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 26 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15

It's amazing to me how we tend to hold our heroes close to us, thinking of them as personal friends, even though we have never met.

For example... I work primarily in customer service for a large cable TV company, troubleshooting issues with IP services such as internet connectivity and voice-over-internet phone (VOIP) services. Yesterday, after I heard the news of Armstrong's passing, while making conversation with one of my customers I said it was a sad day for me, as we had just lost the first man to walk on the Moon. My customer responded, concern in his voice, with "Oh, Neil died? Oh, no."

These are the things that hold us together, as societies, cultures and even as an entire race.

Let us all wink at the Moon in remembrance, and in solidarity, to celebrate a great human achievement and the man at the tip of the spear who took those first steps for all of us.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 26 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #24

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Oersted @ Aug 26 2012, 06:59 AM) *
We still need an official name for Mount Sharp. I

It already has one appointed by the IAU from some months ago. It's not Mt Sharp, but the team are sticking with Mt Sharp as thats the unofficial name they gave it before the IAU name.

I'm sure they will name something appropriate after Neil when the right thing presents itself at Gale Crater.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 26 2012, 06:10 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Mr Valiant @ Aug 26 2012, 08:15 AM) *
"They aren't supposed to grow old", is what I said.

Can't help but think of this:
http://xkcd.com/893/

Didn't ever expect Neil to be first in the "projected" part.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonwalkers#A...ked_on_the_Moon

+Quote Post
Mr Valiant
post Aug 26 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5275

We renamed Coprates, Valles Marineris, an unmanned, albeit, epic explorer.
Neil Armstrong and fellow explorers? Perhaps the first manned spacecraft to another
world/star may be emboldened by his name.
Godspeed Neil Armstrong

+Quote Post
climber
post Aug 26 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 682

I went outside with my old JPM 115/900 I bought during Apollo 17 flight and watched the Moon. Strange feeling, realy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MERovingian
post Aug 26 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1602

Neil is now flying across the universe. My thoughts are with you, Mr Armstrong, for this new journey to the unknown.

Thank you for getting the moon and the stars so much closer to us.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 26 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 655

A dignified man, and a gentleman, a great role-model and ambassador.

An era ends with his passing - the next generation have a high bar to aim at.

+Quote Post
monty python
post Aug 27 2012, 06:29 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 692

QUOTE (Oersted @ Aug 26 2012, 09:59 AM) *
The Apollo 11 crew gave their thoughts on their accomplishment in a TV transmission on the way back from the moon. Armstrongs words were as always very thoughtful and carefully crafted:

http://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/25day8-reentry-stowage.htm

Thank you Oersted for the link to the apollo 11 audio. I'm sure that for those of us who were alive to remember those transmissions, just the backround hum made us nostalgic and brought a tear to the eye.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.