Gladstoner
post Jul 15 2015, 07:29 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 3995

A nightcap in honor of the successful flyby:

Attached Image

Attached Image

White rum, Kahlúa and ice cream substitute for the exotic ices and organics. I call it Pluto Express. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tolis
post Jul 15 2015, 07:41 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 4216

Pluto does look a bit like a choc+vanilla ice cream that was left out of the freezer
for too long (or a planet-wide experiment at cappuccino making, take your pick)

+Quote Post
Astroboy
post Jul 16 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 7250

30 years ago this December... #ThrowbackThursday

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict

+Quote Post
pitcapuozzo
post Jul 16 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 7340

NASA PR is doing a mess. Released the same inset (flipped) in two different locations.

Compare this:
Attached Image

to this:
Attached Image

From what I understand, the correct one is the first one.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 16 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (pitcapuozzo @ Jul 16 2015, 08:37 PM) *
NASA PR is doing a mess. Released the same inset (flipped) in two different locations.

NASA PR is not producing the images. What you're seeing is probably the result of pressure to release the images as fast as possible.

People complain when releases are delayed. People complain when they're not. There's just no pleasing some people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rtphokie
post Jul 17 2015, 01:22 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 6180

Question about slightly older Pluto images. Pluto is noted in these glass plates from Tombaugh's discovery in 1930. What is (are) the other item(s) highlighted in red?

Attached Image

Here's a crude blinking GIF:

https://twitter.com/rtphokie/status/621749241644498944

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jul 17 2015, 01:24 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 5458

edit: deleted. I pay little attention some times.

Ok, rtphokie, a more studied answer this time. Strangely, the object appears to be the same in both frames, so I would assume not dust (though it has a peculiar shape). It appears to be going 90 degrees to the ecliptic. in this image. I don't see anything registering on Stellarium. Interesting. Hope to see a resolution to this as well.

----------
Edit
----------

Also just noticed a few other moving dots. Pluto of course, near the middle in the ellipse.
Attached Image

This is a discussion better placed in its own thread though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jul 17 2015, 02:01 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 82

Apparently, if instead of a blink comparator, Mr. Tombaugh had used a stereo comparator (where each of the two plates is projected to a separate eye), any slow-moving objects would have been immediately obvious as a dot hovering above (or below) the flat plane of the fixed stars. Not sure how it would handle objects moving at a near right angle, like the second object pointed out above. I believe the individual plates would be slowly rotated through a 180 degree half-turn, but I'm not certain about that. This method was widely adopted after the discovery of Pluto because it was far easier to spot slow-moving objects using this method than with a blink comparator.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 17 2015, 02:24 AM
Post #39

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

rtpholke, that was probably an asteroid. Recall that Tombaugh was specifically searching for objects moving at a slow speed, which would normally indicate that it was a large distance from the sun.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 17 2015, 02:58 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (pitcapuozzo @ Jul 16 2015, 10:11 PM) *
Well, that's not me. If they're not delayed, better for me, I can see them earlier. If they are delayed, again better for me, the scientists will have more time to understand everything and I'll have my questions answered earlier.

Yeah. We have to keep in mind that the press release images are just that - and they're not meant for the kind of analysis many of us do here. (We've seen some bizarre stuff with the Dawn press release images, too.) We may have to wait for the jpegs at the New Horizons SOC site, and better still for the eventual downlink and release of the raws.

Push the gamma on one of those press release images too far and you never know what you may find...

Attached Image

wink.gif

+Quote Post
rtphokie
post Jul 17 2015, 03:33 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 6180

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 16 2015, 09:24 PM) *
rtpholke, that was probably an asteroid. Recall that Tombaugh was specifically searching for objects moving at a slow speed, which would normally indicate that it was a large distance from the sun.

Makes sense, thanks

+Quote Post
John Broughton
post Jul 17 2015, 03:40 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 7397

QUOTE (rtphokie @ Jul 17 2015, 01:22 AM) *
Question about slightly older Pluto images. Pluto is noted in these glass plates from Tombaugh's discovery in 1930. What is (are) the other item(s) highlighted in red?

We can rule out another TNO, given it is not moving in the same general retrograde direction as Pluto. MBAs and NEOs can also be ruled out for similar reasons. Knowing how thorough Tombaugh was with his survey, he wouldn't have overlooked something of that magnitude. The non-symmetrical appearance in both images suggests they were specks of dirt on the plates when they were eventually scanned.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 17 2015, 05:07 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 615

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 17 2015, 12:58 PM) *
... Push the gamma on one of those press release images too far and you never know what you may find...
Attached Image
wink.gif

I know what you mean. Opened the 'false colour' image in Photoshop and it still had the 'guide lines' smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jul 17 2015, 06:13 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 63

I wouldn't think it is an asteroid, since they move the same apparent distance in hours when Pluto takes months.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 17 2015, 06:23 AM
Post #45

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Depends almost entirely on the distance. NEOs at their closest can whiz by VERY quickly from our perspective, main belt asteroids not so fast.

I don't recall the interval between the two Pluto discovery photographs, but I'm pretty sure it was hours or at most a couple of days, not months. Those pics have an extremely small field of view.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.