--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 24 2014, 05:02 AM
Post #378

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

For some reason Mars reminds me of Grumpy Cat in this image.

Attached Image

Maybe it's annoyed to have so many spacecraft whizzing around it and messing up its surface.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Sep 25 2014, 03:05 AM
Post #379

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

Lately, my eyes aren't as accurate as they used to be: I just read my UMSF bookmark as Unwanted Spaceflight! huh.gif

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 1 2014, 10:10 AM
Post #380

Member No.: 13

Funny bit on the recent Big Bang Theory episode, where Wolowitz as celebrity astronaut throws out the first pitch at a California Angels game using a Mars rover (the crowd was not pleased):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fayK8WGIiyc

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Oct 15 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #381

Member No.: 6783

How about this guy, reclining in front of the TV, snacks at hand wearing an 'All-In-One' duvet with a 'Big Slipper' laugh.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 22 2014, 10:03 AM
Post #382

Sol 785 NAVCAM view:

Attached Image

"True color" filter applied:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Oct 23 2014, 05:34 PM
Post #383

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

VOCA provides real-time, multi-channel, shout-down voice communications between project elements. Includes voice instruments and custom voice net set up. Service is high-availability and includes fault detection and correction. This is a picture of portion of the screen of one of our VOCA stations. Quite apropos for Halloween!

Attached Image

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 27 2014, 10:35 AM
Post #384

I thought it might be fun to run MSL images through face detection software to see if some "faces" emerge out of the random patterns. Turns out the detections aren't really all that facelike, on the order of this from sol 726:

Attached Image

Still, intriguing to think of what similar automated feature detection might produce, using machine learning, etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Oct 27 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #385

Member No.: 6780

You find, what you are looking for, provided the threshold is low enough. That's the same for humans as for machines, automated pareidolia, if you like. That's why "discoveries" usually need a 5-sigma confidence level, meaning "definitive evidence" to be generally accepted as a discovery. But even then, these discoveries can be false positives in rare cases.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 27 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #386

In general, I'd say that an algorithm that finds what one is looking for is a successful algorithm! Of course, if one is looking for faces (or hippos) on Mars, any positives will necessarily be false, but if the algorithm is designed to detect something that's actually there, say spherules, or meteorites, or Jake Matijevic-type rocks, then ideally the true positives will outnumber the false, with the task of sorting through everything manually reduced accordingly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Oct 27 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #387

Member No.: 6780

The success depends on appropriate a-priori knowledge. If you know, that there is exactly one "face" in the image, an appropriate maximum-likelihood method - which I presume is implemented by the camera software - can find this "face". Hence the search result should be stated in terms of a conditional probability, taking the a-priori knowledge as the condition, i.e. the probability determined by the automated search needs to be multiplied by the probability, that the a-priori assumptions are correct.

This kind of methods worked in a very simplified way e.g. to find stars in the night shots, using the a-priori knowledge, that there are stars, and that they move apparently in a known direction. But you can also false-positively detect stars that way, if there are none.

In the PDS there are loads of processed images, the criteria of which I'm not always aware. But it looks a bit, as if they would try this on a still rudimentary level for the PDS.
More advanced methods have been applied to determine grain size distributions.

There are loads of applications on Earth.

That's a large field of research. Discussing this seriously is rather technical stuff; a better-suited thread for details would probably be in the context of general image processing, or in a separate thread about data reduction and semantics analysis from images.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Oct 27 2014, 08:36 PM
Post #388

Well, I did post it in another thread, but a mod moved it here, seeing only humor in it evidently!

As for a priori knowledge, I reminded of a story about Vince Lombardi giving his failing Green Bay Packers a lecture on the basics. He started out with "this is a football."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 28 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #389

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Seems to me that testing face detection software on images which certainly do not contain faces makes for a good test of the software. If it detects faces in a Mastcam image of an outcrop on Mars - or a radar image of Titan, or a photo of Mt Everest - then it's not doing a very good job. It's an interesting idea to explore the outer limits of what the software will detect as a face, and maybe tweak settings accordingly.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 28 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #390

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 28 2014, 07:48 AM) *
... If it detects faces in a Mastcam image of an outcrop on Mars... then it's not doing a very good job....

Attached Image

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 28 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.