Reply to this topicStart new topic
Phoenix - End of Mission
ustrax
post Oct 15 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #121

Special Cookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 228

"We are going to attempt to contact Phoenix after the new year. Just next week we are planning to get together and finalize plans as to when. Not very likely we will hear anything back however!"

Hey! I was able to recover contact with Barry Goldstein today...who knows what might happen with Phoenix in January? smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 15 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 132

I'm waiting for a Hi-Rise picture.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 15 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #123

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

If they can contact it, which is of course doubtful, I hope that at the very least they can get it to send back the remaining data that was left stranded when contact was lost.

--------------------

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Oct 15 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 479

QUOTE (dmuller @ Oct 15 2009, 08:26 AM) *
That's why I still have phoenix running on http://www.dmuller.net/realtime/mars.php

will this click and make a sound ( twitter? ) when( if) she wakes up?

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 15 2009, 11:37 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Oct 15 2009, 12:46 PM) *
If they can contact it, which is of course doubtful,

If the contact is successful there will be a chorus of "I knew it all along, I had a feeling" from the armchairs gathered round. So I'm going to remove myself from that crowd and state right now that I believe there is a fairly good chance that Phoenix WILL be operational when the sun comes back up again. Call me naive. Call me a foolish optimist, but I believe that sound reasoning has driven me toward that conclusion.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 16 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #126

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

I'm gonna give her a 50/50 shot @ waking up for one reason: Don't think that we have a good understanding of the insulating properties of CO2/H2O calthrate frost, or even what the precise composition of the frost that covered Phoenix ultimately was. Might've eased her a bit more gently into peak low temp than otherwise, which in turn might have put less stress on electrical connections.

I hereby claim the coveted "Most Desperate Rationalization For Hoping That Phoenix Made It" award! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 16 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #127

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Oct 16 2009, 12:37 AM) *
Phoenix WILL be operational when the sun comes back up again.

But...were there any doubts? blink.gif
I'm with you on this Dan, that winter ain't that harsh... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Oct 16 2009, 04:03 PM
Post #128

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

With respect to data left stranded: it'd be nice to get, and I think that it is technically possible (ie, the issue is lander survival not loss of data despite a miracle wake up). As far as I recollect, all that was successfully acquired but left on board was Sol 148 MET data and sol 149 lidar data. I suppose there's a chance of access to half of the safe mode engineering data from the lazarus cycles (which half depends on which side of the electronics works first). And there may be some more engineering data on the last TEGA fault--but TEGA has no role in possible hospice mode science, so that might serve only as a cautionary tale for the future.

One small silver lining is that orbiter pass data volumes the last sol exceeded available flash storage--so everything commanded for downlink made it down. Phoenix was unlike MER in that respect, with little flexibility to defer downlink to a later sol.

+Quote Post
Poolio
post Oct 16 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 4469

Is there any potential risk associated with trying to contact her too early? In other words, if they tried to contact her now and failed, could that compromise future attempts? The only thing I can think is that attempting contact before she's ready could trigger an inadvertent low-power fault by overburdening what's sure to be a tenuous power situation. This, of course, assuming she's able to respond at all. Is there any other reason that waiting until January is advised?

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Oct 16 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #130

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

I think the negatives are things that would happen anyway -- there will be many brownouts while trying to wake up, under any scenario with a good outcome. I'd guess a major factor is that the people involved have other mission critical or mission relevant jobs and you have to pull them away. Their time is a money cost, and an opportunity cost to a functioning or planned mission. So, you wait until the odds of getting something for their effort is significant.

+Quote Post
Poolio
post Oct 16 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 4469

Thanks, Deimos. Operational costs... I wasn't thinking along those lines. I suppose that pulling together the personnel, facilities, and resources necessary just to attempt contact would have so much overhead as to make anything less than a dedicated effort not worthwhile.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Oct 20 2009, 08:10 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Oct 15 2009, 06:40 PM) *
I'm waiting for a Hi-Rise picture.

smile.gif Me too, soo see if the solar panels have snapped under the ice load. Then, no more power available for her and the debate is over dry.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 20 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #133

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

There have been two since spring - but I've not had enough chance to really hunt for Phoenix in them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Oct 20 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #134

Guests

QUOTE (vikingmars @ Oct 20 2009, 08:10 AM) *
smile.gif Me too, soo see if the solar panels have snapped under the ice load. Then, no more power available for her and the debate is over dry.gif

MRO with these safe modes isn't helpful for now

+Quote Post
punkboi
post May 24 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 535

Long-Silent Mars Lander is Broken and Dead, Photos Show

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/phoen...oto-100524.html

MRO images show that the solar panels on Phoenix were damaged by a heavy coating of dust and ice during the Martian winter, as predicted.

Oh, and tomorrow marks the 2-year anniversary since Phoenix successfully landed on the Red Planet

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:17 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.