Emily's Video chat 2008-05-14 22:00 UTC
elakdawalla
post May 13 2008, 07:33 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Hi all,

I'm taking a page from the Bad Astronomer and will be trying a live video chat tomorrow (Wednesday) at 22:00 UTC. I hope that time will allow participation from both Europe and the Americas. If you have the time, please drop in to the chat room and write a note or ask a question, to prevent me from having to talk to myself!
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/emily-lakdawalla

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 13 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Emily, what sort of questions would you like? Any specific subjects you'd prefer?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 13 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 197

I'll try to check in, but the only hour I have free is 3:00 pm and it appears you are on at 22:00 UTC....

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 13 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

I think 2200 UTC is 3pm PDT, Dan!

I can't be there; gotta work, and interactive sites are blocked from there. Rats. sad.gif Have fun, and good luck, Emily.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 13 2008, 10:29 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Member No.: 454

nprev, I think that was a "joke" from Dan tongue.gif

What kinds of questions? Well, the stuff I'm most comfortable with (and hence am most likely to answer) are questions in planetary science, more specifically the science of the solid surfaces and interiors of bodies in our solar system; I can speak only in broad terms about other planetary science topics (exoplanets, atmospheres, etc). I can talk about Society projects, at least as far as I'm aware of them, and about current events on spacecraft missions, and on how space missions work. You can ask my opinion on policy questions if that interests you.

This should be fun. Back when I was a school teacher I despaired of coming up with a lesson plan for five full days a week. I cheated by declaring Fridays to be "question day" and just let the kids ask me whatever sciencey question they wished. It was quite enjoyable. Fifth graders (10 year olds) are terribly concerned about whether the Sun is going to blow up and annihilate the Earth. I had fun alternately scaring and reassuring them about what'll happen when the Sun grows old.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 13 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 13 2008, 02:29 PM) *
nprev, I think that was a "joke" from Dan tongue.gif

(Yeah, I know...but every Laurel needs a Hardy!) wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 13 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ May 13 2008, 02:29 PM) *
Fifth graders (10 year olds) are terribly concerned about whether the Sun is going to blow up and annihilate the Earth.

Amazing that you would point that out. When I was in the 5th grade long, long ago (1972) there was an episode of Night Gallery (Rod Serling's later and less successful version of the Twilight Zone) with a kid who had a demonstrable ability to predict the short-term future, after a few public demonstrations he goes on TV and predicts the end to all conflict on Earth and global happiness, but after the cameras are turned off he tells those around him that in fact the sun is about to go super nova. That terrified me for months. I used to lie awake at night worrying about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 14 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

I loved Night Gallery, but never saw that one...probably a good thing, never slept worth a damn anyhow at that age!

Used to worry about the fate of the Sun myself a bit as a kid, until the wonders of adolescence changed my brain chemistry & I finally internalized the fact that I wasn't gonna be around to see it... sad.gif ...(just gotta love that whole existential sentient self-aware being thing sometimes, don't you?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 14 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 13 2008, 06:34 PM) *
When I was in the 5th grade long, long ago (1972) there was an episode of Night Gallery (Rod Serling's later and less successful version of the Twilight Zone) with a kid who had a demonstrable ability to predict the short-term future, after a few public demonstrations he goes on TV and predicts the end to all conflict on Earth and global happiness, but after the cameras are turned off he tells those around him that in fact the sun is about to go super nova. That terrified me for months. I used to lie awake at night worrying about it.

I remember that episode quite well. The kid could only predict things he understood and knew were possible, and it just so happened he had just finished reading up on basic astronomy...

Actually, a few years later, some friends of mine and I decided that the following rewritten lyric was emblematic of that particular episode:

The sun'll blow up
Tomorrow!
Bet your bottom dollar that
Tomorrow,
We'll be toast...

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post May 14 2008, 06:36 AM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Good luck. You will do well, Emily. I'll try to participate in spite of my poor internet connection.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 14 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 13 2008, 07:54 PM) *
The sun'll blow up
Tomorrow!
Bet your bottom dollar that
Tomorrow,
We'll be toast...

smile.gif

(Chorus)

To-morrow!
To-morrow!
Your butt's fried
To-morrow!

It's only
eight lightminutes
aa-wayyy!!!!

tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 14 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #12

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Lou popped in. No pressure then smile.gif

Emily's doing a great job!

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 14 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #13

Good job Emily.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 14 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #14

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

That was FANTASTIC Emily, great job! You handled the trolls really well, and were charming throughout. Thanks for answering 3 of my questions, too! Looking forward to the next one already smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 14 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #15

Merciless Robot

Well, Emily's 'cast was well worth bailing out of work early for (which I had to do for another reason, but fortunately had the time to participate!) EXCELLENT job, Emily, big congrats! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.