IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comet Mc Naught, (merged with other thread)
climber
post Jan 8 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 8 2007, 05:36 PM) *
There is a mutual exclusivity between transient astronomical phenomenon and the British climate - I'm sure of it.

Doug

Don't complain please, I'm the one that has too. I'm in Hawaii (Kawaii) right now and it's raining... and will not stop for another 3 days biggrin.gif sad.gif blink.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 8 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (climber @ Jan 8 2007, 10:35 PM) *
Don't complain please, I'm the one that has too. I'm in Hawaii (Kawaii) right now and it's raining... and will not stop for another 3 days biggrin.gif sad.gif blink.gif

Pah! Luxury!

Three days? Why, when I were a lad, it rained solidly all year. In fact, happen as you mention it, it rained solidly all year *every* year. Why, we were so wet that...

(and on, and on)

You can't hope to beat British complaints about the weather!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jan 8 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #33

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Not a cloud in the sky here biggrin.gif I'll have to take a look tonight (no way I'm getting up that early tomorrow morning...)

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 8 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #34

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Much more rain here in Kendal and I'm going to start building a big boat and rounding up pairs of animals... sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jan 8 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 8 2007, 10:56 PM) *
Much more rain here in Kendal and I'm going to start building a big boat and rounding up pairs of animals... sad.gif sad.gif

Stu:

A boat? And animals? In pairs?

You had it easy...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
climber
post Jan 9 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Stu @ Jan 8 2007, 11:56 PM) *

Don't forget Spirit & Oppy. Bob, please NO comment on this, eh !

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 9 2007, 03:09 AM
Post #37

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Man, here in Southern California I've got clear skies and an unobstructed view of the western horizon, and I STILL can't see it due to the <clink> smog/haze and light pollution!!! mad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jan 9 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 174

In the spaceweather.com gallery, the furthest south it's been spotted seems to be San Francisco. the lower the lattitude, the flatter the line from sun to comet is to the horizon. It really needs to stick up at a high angle as it does in Scandanavia.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 9 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #39

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

I saw the comet this morning and it is *very* bright, the sky wasn't very dark but despite this the tail was fairly long and easily visible and the nucleus very bright. It's probably brighter than Hale-Bopp ever was although this is difficult to estimate since the viewing geometry is very different, McNaught was low in the sky when I saw it, buildings and streetlights nearby and my memory isn't perfect.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 9 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 523

They say it topped Hale-Bopp's brightness. Looks like folks in the southern hemisphere might be up for a spectacular show after perihelion. Meanwhile, still %^@!& cloudy here with a hole in the clouds here and there, but never in the right place.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Jan 9 2007, 05:49 PM
Post #41

Guests

I've seen it finally, I had to rescedule my sleep but now I bagged this one!
Its a nice one. And I think edstrick is right, for a second time we up in the north got one advantage. Halley was completely hopeless for us this time around (Hally of the year 837 are said to have been spectacular thought and comparable to Hyakutake which covered 120 degrees in the sky and a naked eye head 2 degrees wide to mention some fact), then after that treat Hale Bopp didnt get me exited at all.
Yet I concur with ugordan and Bjorn Jonsson MacNaught is a very bight one. To bad the best part will be on the souther hemisphere like with comet West that I never got a good look at. So far I can compare McNaught with Kohoutek - if memory serves me right.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 9 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #42

Guests

Last night I had a dream I saw the comet blink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 9 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #43

Guests

http://cometography.com/lcomets/2006p1.html
huh.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 9 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 523

Correct me if I'm wrong but as Jan 12 approaches, conditions for viewing will become rapidly unfavorable? That's as little as two days. Those in the north who got to see it, saw it. Those who haven't, won't... sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 9 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #45

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

You're right, and I reckon - from using STARRY NIGHT - I have two more days to see it, then that's it, I'll have to watch it cross the SOHO field of view and then grit my teeth as I read reports from the s hemisphere. Forecast is promising for here for tomorrow sunset and Thursday dawn, so fingers crossed...

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.