Closed TopicStart new topic
Phobos-Grunt
Phil Stooke
post Nov 7 2011, 02:24 AM
Post #406

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

The question is, do you want to translate or transliterate? And no, there are no hard and fast rules. Many people actually prefer to call it Phobos Sample Return Mission.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 7 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #407

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I really gotta agree with Dan here. I don't think it should be just about PPP, it should be about not introducing foreign materials onto the flight hardware, period.

I don't know what the electrical resistance of human hair is; I suspect that it's high but not a dead open. Still, doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd want to drift into a circuit path.

My take on it is that it's always better to err on the side of caution.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 7 2011, 03:36 AM
Post #408

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 6 2011, 09:44 PM) *
Still, doesn't seem like the sort of thing you'd want to drift into a circuit path.

Or optics.

But I wonder if dust or hair drifting around in space can accumulate a large static charge to discharge? That would be bad.

+Quote Post
maschnitz
post Nov 7 2011, 04:19 AM
Post #409

Member No.: 4520

I'd argue the transliteration is Fobos-Grunt and the translation is Phobos-Soil (or Phobos Soil Return Mission).

"Phobos-Grunt" is somewhat goofyfooted as a phrase - "Phobos" is a translation of the Russian name but "Grunt" is a transliteration of the Cyrillic word, not a translation. You can maybe argue the Cyrillic Ф character is better transliterated as "Ph", but it's more commonly transliterated as an F.

And, FWIW, Wikipedia calls it Fobos-Grunt.

+Quote Post
konangrit
post Nov 7 2011, 05:44 AM
Post #410

Member No.: 704

Yes, the issue seems to be Roskosmos translating one word, and transliterating the other. Although I'm not a linguist and as you suggest maybe Фобос could be transliterated as either Phobos and Fobos. Presumably both Phobos and Fobos transliterate as Фобос, so maybe Roskosmos would say that Фобос-Грунт is a transliteration of Phobos-Grunt smile.gif.

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 7 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #411

Member No.: 4057

It's simple, english Ph sounds same as F in many slavic languages and that is reason why both possibilities (Phobos-Grunt, Fobos-Grunt) exists.
Similarly we write Kanada instead Canada, because english C sounds same as slavic K.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GEmin1
post Nov 7 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #412

Member No.: 6068

QUOTE (MERovingian @ Nov 5 2011, 11:08 PM) *
Anyhow, I wish the very best of luck to the Russians starting on Tuesday on their first mission to Mars since 1996!It took a lot of perseverance and patience for these guys, working with ridiculous budgets; I believe the cost of Fobos- Grunt is... 64 million dollars? huh.gif

Around $200 mln. (5 bln. RR)
http://ria.ru/online/456770097.html

QUOTE (MERovingian @ Nov 5 2011, 11:08 PM) *
I will be taking time off from work just to watch the Zenith taking off (by the way, does anybody know of a site where it will be shown live from Baikonur??)...

http://www.tv-tsenki.com/live.php

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 7 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #413

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Well, with Phobos-1 and Phobos-2, Fobos was rarely used, but Venera (Venus) is almost always transliterated. "Марс" transliterates and translates as "Mars", so there isn't an issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GEmin1
post Nov 7 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #414

Member No.: 6068

The Zenit-2SB rocket was transported to the launchpad on November 6.

Photos - http://www.federalspace.ru/main.php?id=393
Video - http://www.tvroscosmos.ru/frm/video/start105.php

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 7 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #415

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (machi @ Nov 7 2011, 04:38 AM) *
Similarly we write Kanada instead Canada, because english C sounds same as slavic K.

Do you prefer Sliva or Sliwa? Must know.

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 7 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #416

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 7 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Well, with Phobos-1 and Phobos-2, Fobos was rarely used, but Venera (Venus) is almost always transliterated. "Марс" transliterates and translates as "Mars", so there isn't an issue.

Two problems are related to this. Transcription from cyrillic is first and then proper pronunciation is second. "Марс" sounds (every letter) in russian nearly the same as Mars in English, so direct transcription isn't problem. Phobos is not so easy, because some people simply don't know, which form of transcription is better (which letters are adequate).
I think, that Phobos is better in English texts and Fobos is better for some other languages (I suppose Spanish and so on).
I guess that with Venera, they simply resign on form with similar pronunciation, because adequate letters doesn't exists in German (and Roman) languages for this word (in Czech we write Veněra, which sounds very close to russian form, in English - "Venyera"?).
I found more similar cases, when Russian authors used "intuitive" transcription to English, for example Ganimed (Ganymede) or Kalisto (Callisto).

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Nov 7 2011, 06:09 PM) *
Do you prefer Sliva or Sliwa? Must know.

I don't know (actually I never found this cross-language problems so important).
It depends how it is pronouced and on the origin of your name. Maybe it's derived from Czech word Slíva (plum). smile.gif
Then "v" is better. But more important is, what you prefer. smile.gif

BTW, we need some Russians here! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Nov 7 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #417

Member No.: 3299

Russia has traditionally failed all landing missions in Mars. Now, with the Phobos-Grunt mission is so ambitious and somewhat more complicated than the past landings on Mars due to the additional calculations and ephemeral data to catch the phobos moon before landing (landing this is easier than on Mars). Now I see Russia is recurring the radar tracking support from ESA which is of vital importance for the success of the mission with precise position of the space. About the ephemeral data, will Russia obtain from NASA with its vast good data?

I wish this mission would be a success since Russia must have already learned all past lessons (without or little or not enough cooperation versus now with more cooperation with other nations).

+Quote Post
MERovingian
post Nov 8 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #418

Member No.: 1602

GEmin1,

Thank you for the link! It's gonna be precious tomorrow afternoon!!

And thanks for correcting the price tag! I can't even remember now where I read that it was 64 million dollars! huh.gif

GO FOBOS-GRUNT!

+Quote Post
Ulysses
post Nov 8 2011, 04:44 AM
Post #419

Member No.: 4112

QUOTE (MERovingian @ Nov 8 2011, 01:25 AM) *
GEmin1,

Thank you for the link! It's gonna be precious tomorrow afternoon!!

And thanks for correcting the price tag! I can't even remember now where I read that it was 64 million dollars! huh.gif

GO FOBOS-GRUNT!

I could throw in my Dutch take on the whole Ph/F issue. I won't! tongue.gif I just want to see Russia successfully rejoin the interplanetary club! Fingers crossed, and this will be the site where I hope to find all the updates.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 8 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #420

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

I really hope that some fluent Russian speakers will join us here for the launch; they would be most welcome! Suspect that the launch commentary will not be in English, so those of us who are generally not as linguistically skilled (me and <cough><cough> most of my fellow Americans <choke!>) are gonna be pretty lost... rolleyes.gif

GO FOBOS-GRUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.