IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Asking For Presentation Suggestions, (I'm begging, actually.)
mars loon
post Jan 19 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 19 2006, 01:01 PM)
I always finish with the most recent imagery I can find - and I always try to highlight the achievment of longevity.
Another usefull tool is to overlay the routemaps on to a local map at the same scale, and include a circle of 600m radius at the landing site to demonstrate how far they were SUPPOSED to go.
Doug

I agree with virtually all of the above. At all my talks, I end with with the latest images, use maps, show eclipse movies, sunsets, DD's, rover arm movement, etc (GIF's work great). Use a mixture of stills and animations. I have given about 20 talks in the last year and the public loves the rovers.

see my lecture thread here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=1972

Most people have no idea they are alive and that day to day imagery is available.

For 20 min, you MUST be very selective. 3D is a great addition but my suggestion is use as a seperate talk. I have a seperate 3D talk that lasts about 15-20 min, which I show at the end or as a seperate program. You cannot do both in 20 min.

Our wonderful twins (emphasize that) thankfully, have just produced too much !!!

ken
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 20 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 116

Oh yeah, folks. smile.gif I don't even know where to begin thanking each and every one of you for your outstanding comments. They all gave me new perspectives to consider. I can't possibly respond to all of the comments, because I would need to reply to every previous posting with affirmative remarks. You people have truly been helpful, and I thank all of you, and also those who have emailed me or contacted me on irc.

This has become a bit more of a challenge. I learned today that my time may not even be as long as 20 minutes. My protests about that seem to be falling on deaf ears. Apparently the students are herded in groups of 20-30 through the various presentations, and I am not allowed to interrupt the flow. Oh well, I'll adapt. Thanks to all of you, I have a much better perspective, even if I don't have enough time to incorporate all of your suggestions.

I'm going to squeeze in as many as I can. There will definitely be a Martian sunset, a dust devil movie and maybe another movie, some anaglyphs, and a most recent image in the mix. I can only hope that I will be invited back for a longer presentation that would do justice to recent missions to Mars.

Thanks, people. I recall the words of the late John Belushi in 'The Blues Brothers' movie..."We're on a mission from God!"

Remind me to tell you how it went. wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Jan 20 2006, 06:25 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 180

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 19 2006, 01:16 PM)
I LOVE showing the really dirty Sundial, mentioning the really low power situation, how close to critical etc - and then going "and then one day...." click...clean sundial - and it gets a big laugh tongue.gif

Doug

A sundial. Cleaned. I guess that dust devil really (brace yourselves) cleaned Spirit's clock!

Yeah that's right. I went there. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 20 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #19

Guests

QUOTE (Jeff7 @ Jan 20 2006, 06:25 PM)
A sundial. Cleaned. I guess that dust devil really (brace yourselves) cleaned Spirit's clock!

Yeah that's right. I went there. cool.gif

LOL. That pun is right up Harrison Schmitt's alley. Not to be pedantic, though, (who, me?) but the prevailing thought is that dust devils aren't responsible for the "cleaning off" of the rovers' surfaces. Most of the MER scientists believe that simple wind action alone is the cause.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Jan 20 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 618

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Jan 20 2006, 08:34 AM)
LOL.  That pun is right up Harrison Schmitt's alley.  Not to be pedantic, though, (who, me?) but the prevailing thought is that dust devils aren't responsible for the "cleaning off" of the rovers' surfaces.  Most of the MER scientists believe that simple wind action alone is the cause.

Okay, I'll bite. How do they tell the difference? There's no anemometer aboard (though maybe there should be). Admittedly, the Opster has been cleaned without seeing a lot of DDs around. But the cleanings are episodic rather than frequent, aren't they? Like DDs. unsure.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
slinted
post Jan 21 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #21

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Shaka @ Jan 20 2006, 11:57 AM)
Okay, I'll bite.  How do they tell the difference?

There's fairly straightforward evidence for this actually. Spirit's first (and I believe, so far at least, the most significant) cleaning event occurred at night. Dust devils are a daytime-only activity as far as we know, thus Spirit got cleaned by winds not a dust devil.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Jan 21 2006, 02:16 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 618

QUOTE (slinted @ Jan 20 2006, 02:50 PM)
There's fairly straightforward evidence for this actually.  Spirit's first (and I believe, so far at least, the most significant) cleaning event occurred at night.  Dust devils are a daytime-only activity as far as we know, thus Spirit got cleaned by winds not a dust devil.

So are we looking at momentary gusts or a sort of "dark and windy night" scenario. Have there been any reports/guesstimates on wind speeds on the surface? Why didn't they hang a little flag on the lo-gain antenna?
wink.gif
Memo to MSL Chief Designer:...

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jan 21 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #23

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 19 2006, 03:56 AM)
I am ... more interested in using a few truly amazing, awe-inspiring, or just plain Wow images that might excite the students about space exploration.

As I recall some of those early MI glyphs totally blew my mind.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 21 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #24

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Off you go and read the Steve Q'n'A smile.gif We talk about DD's and Cleaning, or infact, DD's and NOT cleaning.

Doug

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jan 21 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #25

For a RAT HOLE 3D definately try this one below (small version).

For my presentations, I use this large version:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...-B202R1_br2.jpg

All the kids and adults love it. A guaranteed crowd pleaser every time I show it. You can see the stereo effect even without the glasses, but projected on a big screen it is quite dramatic. In fact, I've often seen the kids start reaching for the screen and thats when you know you have made an IMPACT !!! ken

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 21 2006, 07:19 PM
Post #26

ElkGroveDan: Those early MI anaglyphs really were impressive. I had already decided to use the 'Berries on the Ground' one, but you and Ken have convinced me to add the RAT hole as well.

I also realized that it would probably be a good idea to lead off with a detailed picture of a rover, so I can describe it's cameras and tool kit. Does anyone know of a good one?

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 22 2006, 04:51 AM
Post #27

Nevermind. I think either of these will do nicely.

Color:
http://www.baesystems.com/gallery/electron...RS-ROVER_hi.jpg
Anaglyph:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...glyph-A20R1.jpg

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jan 22 2006, 06:36 AM
Post #28

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 22 2006, 04:51 AM)

I utilize and highly recommend both in succession. That anaglyph also works perfectly well without the 3D glasses.

Also definately use the Endurance anaglyph cited by Jeff7, another crowd pleaser, you feel like you are on the edge and about to fall inside

Also highly recommend the Maas Digital animation as Helvick cited earlier. In fact that is how I start and my suggestion is you narrate it. As your time is short, you may want to start at the point of Mars atmospheric entry, ie. here begins the "6 Minutes of Terror" to quote Ed Weiler.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 23 2006, 02:12 AM
Post #29

Thanks. I am going to use both. I was trying to figure out which anaglyph of Endurance to use. I think that one was probably the best of the lot. I love that Maas animation, especially with the sound cranked up good and loud. I am still trying to convince myself I have enough time to include at least part of it. It really would impress them if they hadn't seen it before.

Thanks everyone, for all of the terrific suggestions. With one week to go, I need to start putting this thing together.

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Jan 23 2006, 03:35 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (sattrackpro @ Jan 18 2006, 11:58 PM)
Go to THIS LINK and once the page has loaded, you can pan around the entire summit, pan up and down to look at the rover itself... hit save page as, then in options, select Web page complete.

I can't get that site to load. Perhaps it is just a temporary problem tonight. I'll try again tomorrow. Has anyone else successfully loaded it?

edited: Nevermind. It works fine today.

--------------------
...Tom

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.