Comet Piazzi ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jan 22 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

paper just out in Nature: Localized sources of water vapour on the dwarf planet (1) Ceres

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Jan 22 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6336

Thank you for the heads up.

Hydroxyl. OH have previously been found to make up the main part of Ceres extremely rarefied atmosphere.
So finding water vapour is not completely unexpected, it might be the source of the hydroxyl after water molecules have been dissociated by UV-radiation from the Sun.
BBC stated 6 kg per second, and the diagram of the paper suggest it only happens when Ceres is in certain parts of its orbit. So I place my bet that its a slow sublimation, even though -35 C as the warmest summer day isn't exactly balmy. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Jan 22 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 557

QUOTE (alan @ Jan 22 2014, 12:22 PM) *
Comet Piazzi ?

Neh, don't think so. Mars loses plenty of water vapor to space, too.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 22 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5221

Will anything be detectable from the camera at high phase angles, like Cassini and the Enceladean plumes, or will they have to rely on GRaND and VIR? A few kilos a second isn't that much...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 22 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Dunno if there will be anything visibly detectable at all; kinda doubt it. 6 kg/sec outflow isn't very much, not much more than an average bathtub faucet flow. If that's a global rate rather than highly localized it's damn near gotta be just sublimation.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jan 22 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 351

Could we get FedEx to deliver a mass spectrometer to Dawn post haste? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 23 2014, 11:49 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4057

6 kg/s sounds uninteresting but it's 518 tons per day. I don't know exact numbers for Enceladus but I saw somewhere number 200 - 250 kg/s.
So maybe with luck, Dawn will be capable of detecting Cerean atmosphere with his camera or VIR spectrometer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Jan 23 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 279

Nprev, the ESA article states:

Almost all of the water vapour was seen to be coming from just two spots on the surface.

smile.gif

Super interesting!

Andy

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 23 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I stand corrected, yet skeptical. Always happy to be proved wrong, of course. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Jan 23 2014, 03:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1563

Visibility will depend on the exact nature of the sources to some extent, won't it? I mean that a diffuse source will be much less visible than a concetrated, point-like one?
While this isn't exactly a discovery on par with finding a duplicate Earth hiding behind the Moon, this is a nice little appetite whetter for Ceres. And it does confirm that there is probably a fair bit of water ice there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cruzeiro do Sul
post Jan 25 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3927

QUOTE (TheAnt @ Jan 22 2014, 08:45 PM) *
... and the diagram of the paper suggest it only happens when Ceres is in certain parts of its orbit.

As the Ceres orbit has an eccentricity of 0,080 and an orbital period of 4,6 years, is it possible that Dawn spacecraft will be able to stay in Ceres orbit until its perihelion and so, to tentatively observe the surface spots from where this water vapour is originated?

+Quote Post
angel1801
post Jan 25 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 694

According to the Wikipedia page, Ceres has an axial tilt of about 3 degrees, similar to Jupiter and Venus.

--------------------
I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed.

- Opening line from episode 13 of "Cosmos"

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Jan 25 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6511

QUOTE (Cruzeiro do Sul @ Jan 25 2014, 02:32 PM) *
As the Ceres orbit has an eccentricity of 0,080 and an orbital period of 4,6 years, is it possible that Dawn spacecraft will be able to stay in Ceres orbit until its perihelion and so, to tentatively observe the surface spots from where this water vapour is originated?

Ceres' last perihelion was September 2013, just four months ago. Aphelion will be at the end of 2015 and the next perihelion in April 2018.

Dawn will arrive there in late March 2015 and (IIUC) currently has a nominal one-year mission. So it will certainly be there through aphelion. It would have to hang around another two years for perihelion. I don't see anything that would prohibit this, though some orbital manipulation may be required -- lower orbits burn fuel faster, as the spacecraft has to make more adjustments.

If the water vapor production really is driven by sublimation -- a reasonable assumption, but who knows -- then we'd expect it to be peaking in the months after perihelion when Ceres' surface is warmest, i.e. right around now. So in that sense Dawn would be arriving at exactly the wrong time. But we really don't know. We'll start getting respectable imaging of Ceres' surface a couple of months before Dawn arrives, i.e. January 2015. So... we wait.

Doug M.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.