Phil Stooke
post Sep 29 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #116

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Here's another random image:

Attached Image

A near-terminator shot. Again I didn't check its location. These are 32-bit images, but all the action is in the lower 16 bits, so as a tip for people who want a quick way to browse them: import as a Photoshop raw, using 16 bit IBM format and either 1024 by 548 or 512 by 548 as the size (depending on the file size). That splits each 32 bit pixel into two, making vertical lines down the image, alternating between image and blank. Now use 'image size' and nearest neighbor sampling (will not work otherwise!) to reduce to 512 by 548 or 256 by 548 (depending on file size). Now you have just the image lines left, and a contrast stretch will optimize it for viewing. After a good stretch it can be saved in 8 bit if you prefer, as this has been.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 29 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 523

Phil, that sounds like a rather un-quick way to browse images! Wouldn't a faster method be to just dump an image properly into a PNG?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 29 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #118

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

True! Obviously IMG2PNG would be better than the approach I described. I just wanted to offer a method to people who don't have, or don't want to get into, that software.

I doubt if I will ever do very much with these images. Sadly, their time may have passed already.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Anders
post Sep 30 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 4726

Now I've got a hang on the data set and I manage do create my first cross eye 3d image from the data set.
Attached Image

Dated or not, SMART-1 was built in Sweden and assembled in my home town, Linköping, that's why I'm interested. =)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.