32 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
mer photos
dilo
post Dec 5 2011, 06:30 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

Amazing result, tough but it was worth yhe effort, scooterlord! When you will finish this, you'll be ready for MSL rendering... wink.gif
I wish the best for you and your future work!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Dec 5 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 1097

Thanks for the support everyone! Really hope this project helps me out. Rendering process should take place (hopefully) before the end of this year.

edit: just realized that you mentioned MSL rendering... well I have enough reference to model the lab as well but the first renders will be on mars' surface. Just a bit more patience..

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Dec 17 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #183

Well, people... this is it. I am finally done modeling the mer. For the first time I can show you a full render of the mer, although untextured yet, but judging from the fact that even I surprised myself, I guess you people will be pleased.

The project turned out to be 29.000 (!!) objects and just to open the whole file it consumes 4.7gb of Ram. I have serious trouble rendering this, since my 6gb of ram is not enough for this (it's swapping on the disk) so I ordered another 6gb this morning and hopefully will stay out of trouble. It only needs for a few bad objects to be fixed and off I start texturing. I can promise you a perfect result from what I've seen on my material test renders.

Give it some time to load, the image is 3400x1998px:

Now is the time that everyone should start commenting!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 17 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #184

QUOTE (scooterlord @ Dec 17 2011, 12:32 PM) *
Now is the time that everyone should start commenting!

Cannot belive I'm the first one... well, this was an amazing project, a tremendous effort and, I think, a great emotion for all UMSF memebers to see it completed! Is like to see a newborn baby...
Lot of considerations and proposal in my mind, for the moments congrats again and thanks a lot, s.lord!
And, please, give us more views!!! cool.gif

PS: how many polygons?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Dec 17 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #185

I am recycling this wrong post (instead to write a new one) only to attach a wallpaper I made from this beautiful rendering...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Dec 17 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 1102

Congratulation on an amazing amount of work and an fantastic result. Wow!!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Dec 17 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #187

Thanks! Just wait till you see it done! I am just holding myself not to post a few material renders I have, I am keeping them for when the time is right, hehe.. I can guarantee that everyone will drool all over this wink.gif

@dilo: have no idea how many polys are produced, since it is constructed out of nurbs. I am guessing... A WHOLE LOT! smile.gif If anyone happened to see any of my other 3d models in my site, the suzuki hayabusa that had the most polygons, was almost 600k when optimized, while its rhino file size was 100mb. The rover has reached more than 800mb in size and there are like 5.000 instances of same objects (like bolts, nuts, knots, etc) which are not added extra to the file size.

Many views will start popping up the next few days (hopefully) including materials. Prepare your desktops for many wallpapers, hehe. Since I worked so hard to detail EVERYTHING I might as well make renders from all possible angles so that everything can be seen. My aim is 12mpx size renders (as long as my pc will be able to handle them) - twice the size of the above render.

Glad you enjoy it as much! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Dec 17 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #188

Member No.: 103

Time to bring out the Swear Jar again! *clink clink*

Absolutely beautiful. You have my admiration! As I said in a previous post, I have no doubt that you know every square centimeter of the MER better than any person involved in her design!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 17 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #189

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

It's kind of fun looking at it in the neutral color - almost like this is is the battleship model. I can't wait to see the textures. Are you going to create one with and without dust on the solar panels?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Dec 17 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #190

I dont know about the dust, its very tough to add it and look as it should, considering that there are more than 50 textures on the surface. For the time being i am only considering the clean version but time will tell. Texturing alone is a very difficult and time consuming process...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Leither
post Dec 17 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 1002

Simply stunning - even more impressive than I thought it would be from the partial posts. A truly excellent piece of work. I find the neutral colour makes the individual components stand out so much more. I’ve already had to look up several ‘bits’ I didn’t initially recognize.

Many thanks for this superb Christmas present! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

PS. Very very minor point, you’ve modeled the right hand Pancam filter housing as a mirror image of the left hand Pancam housing when it is actually the same housing rotated thro‘ 180 - so on the LH Pancam the little wire connection bulge is above the lens and on the RH Pancam it should be below the lens. I think! pancam.gif

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Dec 17 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #192

smile.gif Thank you all for your kind words.

@Leither... these 'several bits' you didn't recognize at once, I didn't even know what they were! I suppose you can check the details in my model and THEN make them out in the reference photos. Just imagine the other way around which I had to do to model them. Tens of hours staring, minutes of modeling...

As for the pancam, it's exactly as it should be - I used for reference the documentary 'roving mars'. wink.gif You are welcome to double-check it.

So, here is a new render, due to a small error I didn't fix before I started the render, the body of the mer isn't shown, sorry for this, but you can make out most the details at the top - some are not seen because of the image's contrast, I have even modeled the silicons that keep the small cables in place. I know it could be texured, but I wanted it to look as real as possible in close-up renders.

I have to admit that I am surprised about how many details you people see. I am almost certain that many of you have worked on the actual mer itself, but I find it very pleasant that you loved the project so much and you remember about the details - I was surprised that you could make out which one of the two mers I was making from minor details seen in my renders. I am also happy that I lived up to YOUR expectations. CG artists will see the amount of work in this project, but will not be in position to appreciate the detailing and accuracy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 17 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #193

Member No.: 1241

WOW - this labor of love and CGI tour-de-force is amazing...
Will it rove about in a little CGI movie about someday??

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 18 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #194

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

There is no other word to use short of "incredible", in the best possible sense. Such remarkable work, and I'm sure that many if not most people on the MER team will soon see it (if they haven't already!)

Congratulations, man. We (UMSFers) love your labor of love! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 18 2011, 01:53 AM
Post #195

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Incredible, and beautiful too... I admire and respect your dedication. Can't wait to see what you do with your creation next... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.