Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Mars Yard Photosynth
lyford
post May 9 2009, 03:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/in...ves/photosynth/

Chemcam makes her look a bit Cyclopean......

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 11 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 181

Thanks for the head's up Lyford. smile.gif

I'm curious though -- I recognized Sojourner, MER, but for me at least there were two mystery rovers. The one I was the most curious about was the solar powered, six-wheeled rover that was to the port and aft of MSL. The other was red and four-wheeled, located deeper into the photo and along roughly the same line of sight as the first (when it is visible).

Below is a screen shot of the rovers in question.

Attached Image

Any thoughts? The six wheel rover was quite reminiscent of MER, but obviously different. My only guess -- and I don't even think it is a good one -- is a mock up of exomars???

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
lyford
post May 11 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 124

I can't really tell from that pic, but it could be any of the rover family: FIDO.... Rocky... ????

Though I don't think Athlete is allowed to play in the sandbox at the same time. I could be wrong...

JPL Rover Siblings

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
akuo
post May 11 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 63

Looking at the rear of the MSL, it looks like that it actually has 2 hazcams in each corner. So 8 hazcams altogether! I wonder if the pairs at each corner are for redundancy or if the total field of view is increased?

We're going to be confused with all those images from all those "eyes" smile.gif.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 12 2009, 08:13 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Yes at the rear MSL has two pairs of Hazcams. This is because it has a huge plutonium filled tail sticking out the back and so the only way to get good coverage is with a pair on each side. I think there is only one pair at the front though - so just 6 hazcams smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:09 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.