IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Comet PANSTARRS, Anyone else seen it yet?
Stu
post Mar 14 2013, 10:45 PM
Post #1

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

ISON is months ahead, but there's a comet in the sky right now. PANSTARRS is fainter, and smaller, a lot less impressive than we all hope ISON will be (and a lot less impressive than we hoped it would be itself) but it's still well worth looking for. I finally managed to see it from here in Kendal last night. Full report, with pics, on my blog if anyone would like a look...

http://waitingforison.wordpress.com/comet-panstarrs

Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 14 2013, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

Saw it from San Diego last night. Not a naked-eye object for my aging eyes, but easy enough in binoculars.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Mar 15 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1083

Nice picture, Stu! I saw it last night. Was barely naked-eye visible in my light polluted suburb, but easily seen with binoculars.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Mar 15 2013, 12:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3995

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Mar 15 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6237

Saw it Tuesday night and again tonight from a rooftop in Washington DC. Lucky to have some really clear evenings, was excited to see the wedge-shaped comet with the whitish-yellow bright tip, from about 8-10 degrees right down almost to the horizon. Used 7x50 binocs and it was easy to find with the moon as reference. Was ever-so-slightly visible naked eye if you knew where to look and averted the vision just a bit.

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Mar 15 2013, 03:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 503

Yes I saw it in a suburb of Dallas. Even with binoculars I would have had a hard time spotting it, without the guidance of the moon two nights ago. But once I knew where to look, I spotted it the next night, too. But too much light pollution here for naked eye visibility.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 15 2013, 05:26 AM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Unusually enough for LA, been clouded out in just the wrong spots on the two nights I've been able to try (including tonight.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Mar 16 2013, 05:54 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 116

Stu: That's a pretty good picture. I'd be pleased if I could capture one as nice with the equipment I have. I've been in light pollution until yesterday, so I didn't even try to look for it until I got home tonight. I easily found it with 8x50s, but I had to wait longer into the twilight than I was expecting to. I live in a reasonably dark area and I would describe the comet as quite dim. (By the way, I am trying to support the International Dark-Sky Association.) Check out their site. It's loaded with great information.

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 14 2013, 05:04 PM) *
Saw it from San Diego last night. Not a naked-eye object for my aging eyes, but easy enough in binoculars.
I can't believe you saw it in San Diego. How's your light pollution there? I can relate to the aging eyes thing. After finding it with binos, both my wife and I thought we might, quite, possibly be seeing it when looking in the proper direction. Curiously, instead of finding the brightest image by somewhat averting my eyes, it seemed to me that my best attempts at a naked-eye observation concluded that the axial view was most successful.

QUOTE (Greenish @ Mar 14 2013, 08:03 PM) *
Saw it Tuesday night and again tonight from a rooftop in Washington DC. Was ever-so-slightly visible naked eye if you knew where to look and averted the vision just a bit.
Washington, DC...are you kidding me? Ok, now I am beginning to suspect that this comet may have experienced a flare, or eruption, or burp before I was able to get back to reasonably dark skies.

QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Mar 14 2013, 09:23 PM) *
Yes I saw it in a suburb of Dallas. Even with binoculars I would have had a hard time spotting it, without the guidance of the moon two nights ago. But once I knew where to look, I spotted it the next night, too. But too much light pollution here for naked eye visibility.
I watched the moon for several hours as I drove back to Texas, trying to squint the comet without an inkling of success while cleaning the windshield.

Dallas...? Alright, I quit. This has got to be a cruel joke, or a freak of nature. wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Mar 16 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 63

Dark skies don't really matter with this comet at the moment, as it is so close to the Sun on the sky. When the comet sets under the horizon it still twilight. As long as there are no close streetlights or similar in direct view, seeing the comet naked eye should be possible anywhere. The comet is moving away though, so the situation will change in a matter of days, as it moves to darker skies but also dims at the same time.

Here's my photo of the comet from last evening:

Attached Image

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 16 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #10

The Poet Dude

Another great viewing session tonight...

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Mar 17 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6237

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Mar 16 2013, 12:54 AM) *
Washington, DC...are you kidding me?

Have to agree with akuo here -- because it was at twilight I was surprised how little adjustment my eyes needed to see the comet fairly bright in the binoculars. Using the crescent moon to find it was key for me. The light pollution is bad for sure. But we did have a few really clear nights this week - the sky wasn't even yellow! I usually have a hard time seeing mag 5.5 stars with the 7x50s but with the nearly new moon and the clear sky I saw some 7.0 ones on Thurs. I also got lucky in that I had a space between taller buildings where I could see to the horizon in the west from my rooftop.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Mar 17 2013, 07:10 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 116

That's an excellent photo of Pan-STARRS, Antti. smile.gif

If I am understanding you and Greenish correctly, you are saying that light pollution does not matter in this case because the comet is already bright enough to be seen in spite of the fact that we are looking at it in twilight and quite near to the horizon. I guess that makes sense to me in one way, but I would have expected that the back-scattering of photons by the atmosphere would be an additive thing, and that the contrast between the comet and the background would be reduced proportionately by the quantity of light going up into the sky.

Regardless, I am happy to to be able to see any comet that comes around. I am really enjoying the speculation about ISON's arrival this
Fall.

Let us all pray...

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
grobibaer
post Mar 17 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 226

Just to add another big city observation:

From the center of Munich on Friday 15th. Sun elevation -11 deg.
Easy in 10x50 with a nice short tail. With naked eye barely visible.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 17 2013, 09:29 AM
Post #14

The Poet Dude

QUOTE (akuo @ Mar 16 2013, 04:47 PM) *
Dark skies don't really matter with this comet at the moment, as it is so close to the Sun on the sky.

With respect, akuo, I don't think that's true. The difference between viewing PANSTARRS in a dark sky or from a light polluted location is quite stark. It's the difference between just seeing the comet as a star-like object in the sky, mentally putting a "Ah, that's it, ok, seen it now" tick next to it after hearing about it for so long, and *really* seeing it, i.e. detecting the gentle curve of the tail and seeing the lovely yellow-gold hues of the comet.

If you're restricted to viewing the comet from a light polluted location, then obviously you just make the best of a bad job. Look for it, find it, have a look at it through binoculars. But if you can escape the lights, everyone, please, do so. PANSTARRS might not be a Great Comet like Hale-Bopp, McNaught or Lovejoy, but it is very pretty in binoculars, is a lovely colour, and from a dark sky site is visible to the naked eye. And a naked eye comet is always something to make the effort to see, to enjoy, and to celebrate. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
akuo
post Mar 17 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 63

I suppose light pollution does work as an additive, but so far the most significant light pollution by far has been the twilight for now. Observers try to estimate the magnitude of the comet, but on a comet so close to the horizon it is very difficult. Taking into account the extinction effect of the atmosphere, the estimates of Panstarr's magnitude lately have been in the 0 .. 1 mag range, some even into the negative magnitudes (http://www.aerith.net/comet/catalog/2011L4/2011L4.html), with those sort of numbers, it is more understandable why the comet is visible in the twilight and in light polluted areas.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.