22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Southward from San Antonio to the Next Waypoint
eoincampbell
post Apr 4 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 3511

Should we then, expect a cleaning event on the brae sometime soon?
Is the long trek actually possible without one?

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 4 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 152

It's worth keeping in mind that the upcoming drop down to Endeavour has a slope of only a percent or so. Meridiani is very flat. I'd be surprized if that gave much venturi effect, though I'm really not sure about this. I could see local features (craters) or large scale features (Endeavour rim) affecting the winds.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 4 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #33

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 3 2010, 05:21 AM) *

It was executed some hours ago but I would call it "aborted" or so. The net move was just 1m.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 4 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #34

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Whups. Haven't had that happen for awhile, right?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 4 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #35

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Word has it Oppy refused to move because the drive coincided with the last episode of "Wonders of the Solar System"... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Apr 5 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 12

unsure.gif Please don't be a dead wheel, please don't be a dead wheel...

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 5 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 4270

Re: SFJCody'
Ahh fudge there went my whole day. sad.gif Guess I'm slacking off on the pessimism.

Unless we hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it was just a software glitch.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 5 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #38

Guests

And this isnt a very interesting place to spend the rest of the mission, at least Spirit had something interesting to look at while stuck.

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Apr 5 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 3233

I asked Scott Maxwell the following question on his blog:

http://marsandme.blogspot.com/
I found Opportunity's rate of progress around SOL 400 amazing. I have heard rumours that Opportunity will soon reach easy driving country again. If so then will we be at Endeavour crater sooner than we all expect?

Scott's answer was:
We will indeed reach a nice flat zone in another kilometer or so. Once we're there, the terrain will again support longer drives, and we're looking into techniques to do those safely with the current hardware.

But what's currently constraining our progress is less the terrain and more the condition of the right front wheel: we're sticking to 70m/sol as a way to keep that wheel healthy, and if in fact we need to continue to do that, it won't matter how benign the terrain is. It wouldn't do us much good to cover 200m/sol for a few weeks, only to kill that wheel.

I should add that just now our progress is further constrained by the lower energy levels we're experiencing as a result of Martian winter's onset, but that will relax after solstice.

So, for now, you should figure that the flat terrain will still have a 70m/sol speed limit. We'd like to raise that limit just as much as you would, though, and we certainly will if we can!

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 5 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 105

the upcoming drop down to Endeavour has a slope of only a percent or so. Meridiani is very flat. I'd be surprized if that gave much venturi effect, though I'm really not sure about this
Exactly. This effect is quite small and manifests itself as very subtle changes in the ripple morphology. Erosional/depositional processes are so gentle and can take hundreds or thousands of years to affect changes.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 5 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #41

> So, for now, you should figure that the flat terrain will still have a 70m/sol speed limit. We'd like to raise that limit just as much as you would, though, and we certainly will if we can!

I can see that speed limit. smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Apr 5 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Apr 5 2010, 04:06 AM) *
unsure.gif Please don't be a dead wheel, please don't be a dead wheel...

With Scott's talk of purgatoids lurking about, I'm wondering if we encountered some soft ripple and stopped from slippage. The last turn in place looked a bit... messy?

It would be nice to see the latest hazcams but as often seems to happen when something unusual occurs, exploratorium is late in delivering the goods. Coincidence? wink.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 5 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #43

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

As I recall the wheel current issues were somewhat alleviated by reversing driving direction now and then. I wonder if they have considered a pirouette kind of driving routine for long distances. The rover would drive 40 meters or so, stop and turn 180 degrees and resume driving in the other direction. While that might be hazardous around purgatoids, out on the flat plains it might make sense.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 5 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 5 2010, 03:47 PM) *
As I recall the wheel current issues were somewhat alleviated by reversing driving direction now and then.
I think rest was found to be more important than reversing direction. Check out this post from Paolo.

Paolo's posts are a goldmine of information. In this one he mentions that RF currents drop substantially on bedrock. Perhaps we can expect some drop in current on flat tarmac compared with the current ripples? I'm thinking along the lines of Spirit's wheel resistance in Troy that was reduced when they did the swimming stroke motions? Of course Spirit's case was much more severe. But perhaps a reason to hope for slightly longer drives on the tarmac.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 5 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 5 2010, 04:47 PM) *
I wonder if they have considered a pirouette kind of driving routine for long distances.

AFAIK, this kind of manouver was already executed during the long drives right after leaving Victoria. Once again, Paolo is the source.
The first 50 or 80m of a drive were covered moving backwards in "blind mode" and the remaining part moving forward in autonav.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:06 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.