Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager 2 at Triton: Outbound
tedstryk
post Mar 9 2006, 03:31 AM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

For a long time, I have tried to pull detail out of the outbound sequence Voyager took as it receeded from Triton. The closest imaging covered an area of the polar region poorly seen during the inbound flight.

These are constructed with the two best image sets, excluding those that are so high phase that only atmospheric features can be seen. The image on the left is a composite of wide angle views and a single narrow angle frame, the highest resolution view of the outbound sequence, when Triton was still more than frame filling. Unfortunately, it is seriously underexposed. The image on the right is more distant, and is a super-res stack of four narrow angle frames. While the resolution is lower, the signal to noise ratio is much better due to having narrow angle images to stack and better exposed images.

These are reprojected versions of the two images. On the top image, several craters and other topographic features are apparent, including some things that resemble the "frozen lake" type features seen during hte inbound sequence. The lower version, while overall of lower resolution, shows much more detail around the terminator, inculding another of the "frozen lake" features less apparent though visible in a close examination of the upper image (this is due to the fact that the terminator region was more effected by the sever under exposure of the upper image. This is a work in progress, but is clear that these images give us a peak at another region of this elusive world.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Mar 9 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 114

WOW! blink.gif

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Mar 9 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 285

Nice smile.gif I have very fond memories of the V2-Neptune encounter; in a pre-internet era the USA channel had a special "Neptune Up All Night" program where they broadcast pics from the encounter live as they came in, along with interviews. Stayed up watching it, recorded to VCR, and played back and studied the good bits (mostly Triton). Good times smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 9 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Very impressive, Ted.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 9 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #5

Here is a regional version I have been working on with this set.

--------------------

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Mar 9 2006, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 508

Could anybody show the region on a map, maybe I should add it to the triton map at http://www.solarviews.com/eng/trimap.htm

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 10 2006, 02:44 AM
Post #7

I am trying to figure that out. Before my crash I had a map, but I don't have it anymore. It was from the 1990 Science reports on Triton.

Here is an improved version of the image....I cut back some noise near the terminator in the higher resolution image, giving preference in that area to lower resolution but higer SNR data.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Mar 10 2006, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Mar 9 2006, 06:56 PM) *
Could anybody show the region on a map, maybe I should add it to the triton map at http://www.solarviews.com/eng/trimap.htm

Tayfun,

Nice to see you on the forum after seeing your mapping work over the years. I would be able to
take a shot at showing these on a map if we can determine the exact time the images were taken.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 10 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (scalbers @ Mar 10 2006, 07:51 PM) *
Tayfun,

Nice to see you on the forum after seeing your mapping work over the years. I would be able to
take a shot at showing these on a map if we can determine the exact time the images were taken.

I am digging....I had it charted before the crash...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Mar 10 2006, 08:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 424

I don't see an image link in this message. Should I?

TTT

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Mar 9 2006, 11:38 AM) *
Here is a regional version I have been working on with this set.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.