67 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Extricating Spirit, Digging out from Troy
alan
post Dec 7 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 110

The regional dust storm that started around sol 2000 dropped the dust factor (the percentage of sunlight reaching the solar panels) from 0.844 to 0.614 over the period of about a month.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 7 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #332

Member No.: 4270

Oww, okay. Thanks for the info.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Dec 7 2009, 12:37 PM
Post #333

Member No.: 1563

QUOTE (hendric @ Dec 2 2009, 10:39 PM) *
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/02...y.htm?list15891
I know this is old news, but I just made the connection between sulfates coming from vent activity and the crater's edge Spirit is sitting on. What are the chances the crater is an ancient vent? Or is the sulfate a layer in the hill that the crater happened to punch into? Could the RAT gum its way through the duricrust? (haha, just had a thought of adding a small aircannon or railgun on future rovers to punch through duricrust with BB's at range in "danger areas". That could go along with the laser on MSL! smile.gif )

Is Dburt still about? I'd think he would have a comment or two.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dburt
post Dec 7 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #334

Member No.: 1555

QUOTE (marsbug @ Dec 7 2009, 05:37 AM) *
Is Dburt still about? I'd think he would have a comment or two.

You rang? At this point I'll just guess that the tiny crater in question, like Home Plate itself, is unlikely to be a local volcanic vent, because local vents generate nearby coarse ejecta, and repeat myself that all of the bedrock at and near Home Plate appears to be continuously layered, with bedding lying sometimes at surprisingly steep angles. Sulfate concentrations vary in a mysterious manner that suggests some kind of complex post-depositional redistribution mechanism, perhaps involving surface moisture, freeze/thaw, evaporation/sublimation, and wind (hope that's vague-sounding enough laugh.gif ).

---HDP Don

+Quote Post
hendric
post Dec 7 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #335

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

I was thinking more along the lines of a fumarole than an actual lava-spewing vent. That would explain the high concentration of sulfur inside the vent. The material inside might still be windblown dust, just picking up sulfur from deeper in the fumarole stack. Not implying it is active either, just a source of sulfur that can be moved upwards towards the surface via chemical reactions or minute water traces.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Dec 7 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #336

Member No.: 1563

Thats nice and vague thanks! laugh.gif If it's a meteorite crater might the presence of the sulfates in the crater tell us something about the redistribution mechanism? If the sulfates and the crater are related, and its not just a coincidence that one is in the other, then without knowing how else the sulfates might have got there the idea of fumerole seems (to my very limited geology knowledge) to fit. Mods I won't ask any more questions on this subject after this post, I've no wish to derail the thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 7 2009, 11:50 PM
Post #337

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

HDP has his own very lengthy thread for his ideas based on the MER results - discussion should be in there.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 8 2009, 03:17 AM
Post #338

Member No.: 152

In the latest Spirit update there are details on how the 2104/05 RR wheel diagnostics went.
The rover team cannot draw any conclusions at this point, but the results are not encouraging, and further tests are planned.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 8 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #339

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I'd guess they're probably gonna try to run the wheel in the opposite direction a bit to see if it rotates at all, of course, and also to try to dislodge any foreign object that might be stuck in there.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 8 2009, 05:16 AM
Post #340

Member No.: 1241

Hey nprev,
Burning out a wheel actuator that is buried (see animations) ... and who knows what is clanking around in that wheel cavity... may force a prophylactic shut down of that wheel (RR). This may force a crab walk towards home plate to get the left front wheel on solid ground, that sets up a slogging pull out of Scamander. After all that, a full evaluation of the RR could then be done at leisure ... after the rocks fall out!
But with my minor speculations aside, I hope the JPL team will deliver a mobile rover in the weeks to come after their combined hard work.
Cheers

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 8 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #341

Back to the present... I'm still seeing what appear to be new dust devil tracks forming out there. Here's an example that appeared between sols 2099 and 2104. The endpoints of the track are marked with the white arrows:
Attached Image

The lighting angle is almost identical between these two frames, so it is a real albedo effect.

Presumably this means is that there's still a glimmer of hope that we'll see some strong gusts at Spirit that clean the panels.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Dec 8 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #342

Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 8 2009, 10:31 AM) *
The lighting angle is almost identical between these two frames, so it is a real albedo effect.

Or could it be a localized darkening due to the shadow of a cloud in the sky?

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 8 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #343

There were two F hazcam frames on sol 2104 taken almost 40 minutes apart, and there's no movement in the dark streak between them that I can see. Also frames were taken on sol 2105 and it looks like the streak is still there, although the lighting is quite different.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 9 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #344

From a New Scientist story:
A rock stuck in the wheel seems unlikely at this point, since previous jams have not prevented the wheel motor from moving altogether, as was observed in this case, Callas says.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Dec 9 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #345

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

The latest blog entry on the Free Spirit website is Dec 12.....someone invented a time machine ?.....it's the 9th Dec as I type this..... blink.gif

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.