9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Stereo
deglr6328
post Oct 14 2008, 08:05 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

well it's over a year and a half later now, what's going on with this site? still only horribly compressed "beacon images" and months old fits data files. awful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 30 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #92

Guests

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Oct 14 2008, 08:05 AM) *
well it's over a year and a half later now, what's going on with this site? still only horribly compressed "beacon images" and months old fits data files. awful.

Yes it's a little disappointing compared to SOHO, i'm hoping for better from SDO.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #93

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

What's the problem?

http://secchi.nrl.navy.mil/sccimages/index...4&nothumb=1

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 1 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #94

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2008, 07:05 PM) *
What's the problem?

I have wondered that since the first idiotic post in the thread. There is a difference between one website and a true lack of information.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Dec 1 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #95

Guests

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Dec 1 2008, 03:40 PM) *
I have wondered that since the first idiotic post in the thread. There is a difference between one website and a true lack of information.

This forum is getting unpleasantly cliquey

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 1 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #96

Founder

What do you want, a medal for complaining about something which 5 seconds with google shows to be totally untrue?

+Quote Post
OWW
post Dec 6 2008, 10:51 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 99

There's also a difference between getting a medal for 'complaining' and getting some helpful comments. And what's 'idiotic' about expecting full-res STEREO images on the official STEREO website? What's up with the 'let's make the ignorant newbie feel dumb' attitude all of a sudden?

Just my opinion. mad.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 6 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #98

Founder

QUOTE (OWW @ Dec 6 2008, 10:51 AM) *
what's 'idiotic' about expecting full-res STEREO images on the official STEREO website?

Nothing. What's idiotic is complaining that there are no images, when there are, which 5 seconds with Google would tell anybody. What's idiotic is not checking first, before labelling STEREO as awful. It would be impossible to spend more than a minute looking for the images, without finding them. So what does that tell you when someone comes here and complains they don't exist?

Ted wasn't describing newbies as idiotic. Two very long term members, with significant post counts should have the initiative and sensibility to go and check that these images don't exist before complaining about it.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Dec 6 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #99

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 6 2008, 10:58 AM) *
Ted wasn't describing newbies as idiotic. Two very long term members, with significant post counts should have the initiative and sensibility to go and check that these images don't exist before complaining about it.

But they don't exist

The images you linked to are available in 1024x1024 size images, STEREO has a 2048x2048 pixel ccd. So the images have been resized down, they are the same size as those from SOHO, also the latest image folder is 5 days old, SOHO images are generally available in real time, so my point still stands.

This image from SOHO was taken 30 minutes ago.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 6 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #100

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Let's all take a deep breath and pretend this little exchange didn't happen.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 14 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 184

Just for fun I thought I'd mention that I'm working on a STEREO animation of hi-res EUV data for Science On A Sphere in collaboration with GSFC. This combines the two satellites and uses persistence to show something on the back side of the sun. Hopefully at some point I'll have something (e.g in a cylindrical projection) to show on the web, in addition to SOS itself.

Steve

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 21 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 184

Here is a test EUV animation. It has a lot of resolution in it, though I'm unsure how well this mp4 file plays in various browsers and such. Feel free to give it a try as it has hundreds of frames at 1500x3000 resolution of the cylindrical map. Each frame is 10 minutes and the file size is 66MB.

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sun/stereo/stereo.mp4

Steve

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
lyford
post Mar 22 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 124

STEREO Sees Jupiter

No one has been able to observe Jupiter and its moons for some time as it is too close to the Sun, but that did not stop the STEREO (Behind) COR1 coronagraph from capturing it and its four major moons over a 30-hour period (March 15-16, 2009).

Attached Image

Pics and Vids at the link

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 10 2009, 04:15 AM
Post #104

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Pretty cool; STEREO is going to search for asteroids in the L4/5 regions. A long shot IMHO, but well worth doing.

Wonder what the odds are of finding an old Saturn upper stage or something?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Doc
post Apr 12 2009, 11:32 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 3978

Cool image lyford. BTW they are inviting the public to help find remnants of the hypothetical planet Theia in the heliospheric images. It would be awfully if I just had the time (or the guts smile.gif) to stare at the images for a little point of light(s) that may not even exist. Oh bugger!

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.