Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Extracting Proton impact data from SOHO images, The noise becomes the data
Juramike
post Aug 28 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I wanted to see if it was possible to pull out proton flux data from SOHO images. I used the Coronal Mass Ejection event (CME) of November 9, 2000.
Here I processed out the background images of the Sun to extract the noise. The noise was the data I wanted.

I downloaded the SOHO movie of this time period, imported into layers in Photoshop. I then duplicated one of the quiet layers to serve as the control background, and set the blend mode to "Difference". I removed any residuals by using a Black and White filter to remove blues (some of the differences came out blue) and increase greens to white pixels. A threshold filter was added for the ultimate contrast-enhancement.

I then selected a non-Sun section of the image (in the left corner) and used the measurement tool to count numbers of hot pixel zones, and the combined area of the hot pixel zones. [I tried using the entire image, but the measurement tool choked due to the high numbers].

A plot against elapsed time in hours, and voila, the rapid birth and slower decay of a passing proton storm over 30 h as evidenced by hot pixel strikes in the camera:

Attached Image

Noise ain't so bad sometimes....

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.