Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto Atmospheric Observations: NH Post-Encounter Phase, 1 Aug 2015- TBD
Explorer1
post Jun 2 2016, 06:24 AM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Astounding work!
Charon is an invisibly thin crescent at this angle without any atmosphere, correct? Or is it just out of frame?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jun 2 2016, 08:48 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 6842

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread, but I've just had a question about the backlit shots of Pluto. Has the Sun ever appeared in LORRI's field of view, and are there any images of it there?

I'm asking because LORRI doesn't have a shutter, and a NASA video shows the CGI Sun going behind Pluto and out again: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...lyby-Pluto.html

On a related topic, has anyone made timelapse videos out of the "sun glare" LORRI images, like this one? http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/soc/Pluto-Encounte...mgType=approved

Thank you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 2 2016, 02:53 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Astroboy @ Jun 2 2016, 06:03 AM) *
Aligned on the stars:

Stunning.

Averaging the frames together you can easily see the path of Pluto relative to the stars:
Attached Image

If the path of NH was straight, Pluto's path would look (esssentially) straight relative to the stars. So presumably we're seeing the gravitational effect of Pluto bending NH's path, although the effect seems surprizingly large to me.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 2 2016, 03:44 PM
Post #109

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I was puzzled about the curve in Pluto's path too. Does it have to do with Pluto's rotation about the system barycenter?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 2 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 523

If the timespan of those images matches up (around 3 days) I think you've nailed it, Emily.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 2 2016, 04:35 PM
Post #111

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

It's 7 days, or one Pluto rotation period, which makes sense (curve goes out and back). Cool.

Now I want a similar V2 Neptune departure sequence aligned on background stars to contrast that with smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 2 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 523

Heh, it looked like half a rotation to me, but now that you mention it I can make out a full sine curve. Cool stuff!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saturns Moon Tit...
post Jun 2 2016, 04:43 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 7566

New NASA article- Secrets Revealed from Pluto's 'Twilight Zone'

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/secrets-reveal...s-twilight-zone

potential cloud spotted!

Has anyone tried to match up the nightside terrain silhouette with the low resolution maps of Pluto's far side? I see some rugged, mountain-looking terrain and some very smooth regions.

+Quote Post
Astroboy
post Jun 2 2016, 04:48 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 7250

I'm glad everyone enjoyed that! Yeah, the timespan is from 7/15 at 15:21 to 7/21 at 04:24, so that's almost a full rotation of Pluto and Charon. Judging by the Nasa Eyes simulation, Charon would probably only appear in a few of the frames at the end. I tried stacking multiple frames from individual later observations and still couldn't find her. I was pretty tired while doing that, though.

I really want to do some star-aligned Voyager animations too, now!

--------------------
aka the Vidiconvict

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jun 2 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 162

Appreciate Emily noting the barycenter effect!

As I recall, the NH camera pixels are around 1 arc second in size (smallest yet flown beyond LEO), would the Plutonian system gravitational deflection of NH be superimposed on the barycenter curve as shown, and therefore visible as a slight 'deformation' of the curve, or is the deflection small enough it can only be discerned through the radio science experiment ??

It would be exciting if the effect was large enough to be 'teased' out of the images too.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 2 2016, 05:51 PM
Post #116

Doh - barycentre motion must be it. I mentioned that the effect was surprizingly large if due to the deflection of NH's path by Pluto, tasp - given the speed of the encounter and how far from Pluto we were at the start of this sequence I'd guess that this effect would be very small. But this could easily be confirmed by plotting the barycentre (and Pluto and Charon) positions from the point of view of NH against the fixed stars using some orbital software...

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 2 2016, 06:03 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (tasp @ Jun 2 2016, 09:35 AM) *
As I recall, the NH camera pixels are around 1 arc second in size (smallest yet flown beyond LEO), would the Plutonian system gravitational deflection of NH be superimposed on the barycenter curve as shown, and therefore visible as a slight 'deformation' of the curve, or is the deflection small enough it can only be discerned through the radio science experiment ??

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=5079

If the deflection angle is about 2 arc-min per that thread (assuming I haven't made a units conversion mistake), then that would be about 100 LORRI pixels, so yeah, it should be in there somewhere, though there would be some motion of Pluto against the star background even if there was no deflection and even without the barycenter thing.

BTW, MOC and HiRISE have smaller IFOVs than LORRI, so your "smallest yet flown beyond LEO" is wrong.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 2 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #118

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jun 2 2016, 07:03 PM) *
If the deflection angle is about 2 arc-min per that thread

That 2' deflection is the change between the incoming and outgoing directions. Most of that will be incurred very close to closest approach (CA) (I'd think within a few hours). That sequence starts about a day after CA, so the remaining deflection during the sequence will be considerably smaller than 2'.

+Quote Post
palebutdot
post Mar 3 2020, 08:07 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 8644

Pluto encounter by NASA's New Horizons spacecraft: https://vimeo.com/395236505

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 4 2020, 11:34 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 117

I like it! A couple of suggestions-
1) The images appear to be mirror-flipped
2) It would be nice to see a version with the images in chronological order
3) Including the highest-resolution "noodles" would also be cool.

John

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.