Reply to this topicStart new topic
Geomorphology of Gale Crater, Rock on!
Greg Malone
post Dec 22 2016, 12:24 AM
Post #211

Group: Members
Member No.: 8064

QUOTE (serpens @ Dec 20 2016, 11:02 PM) *
Nice little berry to the right of Paul's image. I make it around 8mm diameter and it wouldn't be (visually) out of place in Opportunity's domain.

Looks good enough to have on my breakfast cereal. More seriously, it looks somewhat out of place, but it's a small frame so can't see context. Will find the source image and see what's up.

LATER:
That individual berry-looking object is pretty unique in that immediate area, though there appear to be fragments of similar material nearby in same frame.

While scanning for similar objects in the immediate area on 1553, I did spot this little gem:

Sol 1553 13:12 Site 59/3004 1553ML0079770020604748E01_DXXX

--------------------

------------
Greg Malone
https://gregmalone.me
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serpens
post Dec 22 2016, 04:19 AM
Post #212

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (Greg Malone @ Dec 22 2016, 01:24 AM) *
...While scanning for similar objects in the immediate area on 1553, I did spot this little gem:.....

The thing is that if these items are extremely resistant to erosion as seems the case then they could have been emplaced at any level of the kilometres of material that overlaid the current surface.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Dec 22 2016, 06:38 AM
Post #213

Member No.: 3995

QUOTE (Greg Malone @ Dec 21 2016, 06:24 PM) *
While scanning for similar objects in the immediate area on 1553, I did spot this little gem:

Stony-iron meteorite?

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Dec 22 2016, 03:16 PM
Post #214

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Dec 22 2016, 12:04 PM) *
Swaying towards mud-cracks, yesterday I was convinced these were fractures smile.gif
[attachment=40555:1555MLcontext.jpg]

Yep, looks like mudcracks, but what's really interesting is the variation in polygon size,
there are small .5 cm polygons and medium 2-3 cm polygons and what seem to be 10 cm polygons.

That suggests a very interesting interplay between the available water, the available sediment, and depth.

image is from Columbia University's earth sciences page about basin filling
https://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~polsen/nbcp/breakupintro.html

The thick deposits of mudstone made of thin sheets of sun dried mud is paradoxical when you think about it...
Shouldn't a crater fill up with deep lake sediments, then shallow lake, then mud, then sand?

It does raise a neat question, involving faults and geology...
On earth, you get thick deposits of shallow water sediments in extensional basins;
when a half-graben opens up, the land drops slowly, so it starts shallow and stays shallow,
in contrast a crater, should start deep, then gets shallower as it fills in.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/3106.pdf
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
serpens
post Dec 22 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #215

QUOTE (HSchirmer @ Dec 22 2016, 03:16 PM) *
The thick deposits of mudstone made of thin sheets of sun dried mud is paradoxical when you think about it...
Shouldn't a crater fill up with deep lake sediments, then shallow lake, then mud, then sand?
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2013/pdf/3106.pdf

It would be reasonable to expect that the water availability in the Gale lake would vary as would the amount of available sediment, particularly airfall. But this very thin sheet of cracked material does seem to be an anomaly and difficult to reconcile to dessication. Chemcam should reveal something about the makeup of the sheet as it could be possible that these cracks formed sub aqueous in a thin, possibly localised layer of clay rich sediment. Subsequent settling of underlying sediment causing the cracking would explain the variation in shape and size.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Dec 22 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #216

QUOTE (serpens @ Dec 22 2016, 10:54 PM) *
It would be reasonable to expect that the water availability in the Gale lake would vary as would the amount of available sediment, particularly airfall.

I really find the juxtapositions interesting.
Surface precipitation might weather clays, but IS need to move sediment, as in peace vallis.
Ground water might weather clays, but IS probably needed for later mineral veins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq65TVKDZXs...utu.be&t=11
Gives a really excellent over view of the issues.

Well, if you've got a valley network, availability of water, and sediment are a bit easier to estimate...

Mineralogy and fluvial history of the watersheds of Gale, Knobel, and Sharp craters:
A regional context for the Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity's exploration
Bethany L. Ehlmann, Jennifer Buz

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Dec 25 2016, 04:06 PM
Post #217

Member No.: 6842

QUOTE (Fran Ontanaya @ Dec 25 2016, 11:05 AM) *

Any idea what is this spherical object?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 25 2016, 05:19 PM
Post #218

Member No.: 1241

Hematite? (aka Squyers' blueberries)

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Dec 28 2016, 04:00 AM
Post #219

Guests

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 25 2016, 06:19 PM) *
Hematite? (aka Squyers' blueberries)

To big...process may be similiar but material is probably different.... Don't think we have all the pieces to the puzzle I hope curl does some sciene on that. We passed two others that looked identical on sol 937, 1185, in different sorts of terrain. Pretty strange formation it would be about the size of a marble.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Dec 28 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #220

QUOTE (Steve5304 @ Dec 28 2016, 05:00 AM) *
To big...process may be similiar but material is probably different.
Pretty strange formation it would be about the size of a marble.

Well, it looks very similar in size to the low grade copper concretions that occur along the US east coast.
Triassic mudstones + igneous intrusions = marble sized ore concretions, usually copper, silver, gold, arsenic.
In my experience, they're usually within about 1 km of the igneous contact.
When the contact is is folded, (scallop shell) instead of flat (clam shell)
they mudstone ores seem to occur more in the peaks (anticlines).

You can see concretions in situ and some spherical voids where others weathered out.

US penny for scale.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Dec 28 2016, 07:20 PM
Post #221

Guests

QUOTE (HSchirmer @ Dec 28 2016, 07:29 PM) *
Well, it looks very similar in size to the low grade copper concretions that occur along the US east coast.
Triassic mudstones + igneous intrusions = marble sized ore concretions, usually copper, silver, gold, arsenic.
In my experience, they're usually within about 1 km of the igneous contact.
When the contact is is folded, (scallop shell) instead of flat (clam shell)
they mudstone ores seem to occur more in the peaks (anticlines).

You can see concretions in situ and some spherical voids where others weathered out.

US penny for scale.

Thank you for that.

Not to sound like a jerk but i think we should run this thing over and take the chemcam see what it really is.Somebody from nasa is reading i hope!

+Quote Post
serpens
post Dec 28 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #222

After the exhaustive work to identify the provenance of Opportunity's berries there is a tendency to consider small spherical objects seen on Mars as concretions. This particular example is isolated so if it is a concretion then transport was involved. However we cannot rule out other causes such as an impact artefact, molten material with a reasonably high ferric component that assumed a spherical shape and cooled in flight, possibly quenched by fall into water. Note Greg Malone's post #810, page 54 on 22 December.

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Dec 29 2016, 12:27 AM
Post #223

Guests

QUOTE (serpens @ Dec 28 2016, 10:47 PM) *
After the exhaustive work to identify the provenance of Opportunity's berries there is a tendency to consider small spherical objects seen on Mars as concretions. This particular example is isolated so if it is a concretion then transport was involved. However we cannot rule out other causes such as an impact artefact, molten material with a reasonably high ferric component that assumed a spherical shape and cooled in flight, possibly quenched by fall into water. Note Greg Malone's post #810, page 54 on 22 December.

If that was formed by water it would not be on the surface..it would be below I would think. That had to have broken off or out in the last 100,000 years. Again...I would think but

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Dec 29 2016, 12:55 AM
Post #224

QUOTE (Steve5304 @ Dec 29 2016, 12:27 AM) *
If that was formed by water it would not be on the surface..it would be below I would think. That had to have broken off or out in the last 100,000 years. Again...I would think but

Eh, remember that there would be a cycle that repeats thousands or millions of times:
dry lake bed, playa, shallow lake, deep lake, shallow lake, playa - dry lake
The dry to wet cycle is nicknamed a van-houten cycle, in the best studied mudstone basins on earth, one cycle is ~20k years, and about 1 meter thick.
Expect you'd have something similar on mars - gale probably went from lake to dry lake and back many times,
based on orbit and eccentricity. there could be "wet" areas both above and below
[what appear to be] the current mud flats.

Yes, there is a tendency to consider small spherical things on mars as concretions,
however, we're looking at fractured mudstones, and experience on earth shows that
fluids moving through cracked mudstones are good at making concretions.
They're common in earth mudstones, so it's acceptable to expect they're common on mars as well...

+Quote Post
serpens
post Dec 29 2016, 02:33 AM
Post #225

We have to climb around another hundred metres of Murray formation mudstone and sixty metres or more above that to the hematite ridge. Nicolas Steno's principle of lateral continuity holds that this strata would have originally covered Curiosity's current position, requiring significant water influence over a long period of time. As an aside, the more I look at the hematite ridge the more I wonder whether it could be an inverted bed of what was a reasonably well oxidised stream.

+Quote Post

20 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.