Reply to this topicStart new topic
Victoria Annulus, Discusions about Victoria's Apron
dvandorn
post Sep 18 2006, 05:30 AM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 18 2006, 12:01 AM) *
This is a pretty nice little crater. I wonder if Oppy will wander into it.

This comment reminds me very much of an exchange between Dave Scott, on the Moon, and Joe Allen, the CapCom back in Houston. It occurred just a few minutes after Scott and Irwin had discovered the "Genesis Rock," a piece of nearly pure plagioclase, at the rim of a small crater on the Appenine Front. Despite the excitement of the find, Allen was pressing the crew to move on to their next stop:

Scott: Hey, Joe, this crater is a gold mine!

Allen: And there might be diamonds in the next one, Dave.

So, yes -- Emma Dean may have some very good finds in it. But, as always, we have to remember that Victoria might have diamonds in it... smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 18 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 105

The hershey's kisses aren't shaped exactly like our chocolate confection, the departure from spherical is very small. Physical and color differences are very subtle, but nonetheless present.

Unlike the carbon-based rovers in Apollo, the silicon-based rovers in MER are not on a tight time schedule for the traverse since they will run out of oxygen at a known point in time. Although unlike the Black Knight they are not invincible, the rovers are far from loonies. We ought to keep moving on because the clock is ticking but not at the cost of science. The diamonds at Victoria will be there in a few Sols more. Science as well as photo-ops.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 19 2006, 05:42 AM
Post #108

Member No.: 116

This is a bit off topic, but since this thread seems to have the attention of some of the geologizers, I hope it will be appreciated. I came across an abstract from last Spring's LPSC that I had somehow missed. RELATIVE AGES OF GEOMORPHIC FEATURES VISITED BY THE OPPORTUNITY ROVER.

This 2 page pdf should not be too large of a download for those on dialup, and it addresses several Meridiani observations that have resulted in many long-winded discussions here about things like ripples, cobbles, polygons, and mini-craters. I'd recommend this short paper to anyone interested in those topics. Anatolia is seen as a large scale version of volume-loss polygons observed on many scales. Mini-craters are viewed as either small craters or rimless pits...and more elongated sapping features are described as pit chains. I like the way this abstract condensed a huge amount of observations and interpretations into only 2 pages. There are a few more diamonds to be found in it. wink.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 19 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #109

It is almost an epiphany to read something that mirrors observations that you have had for a long time. I really need to spend more time reviewing the current literature. The previous post is in no way OT.

BTW, there is discussion about the ejecta apron and the Emma Dean roadcut in Squyres' current Mission Update at http://athena.cornell.edu/news/mubss/ .

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 20 2006, 08:50 AM
Post #110

And mixed in with the initial Navcam views of Victoria's stratigraphy we have a couple of partial-frame Pancam sequences of selected Emma Dean features. L257's here, with interesting compositional changes.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 20 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #111

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Yep, I noticed those too Bill... very interesting... I posted this over on another thread but I think it slipped past everyone...

Attached Image

And the one you pointed out...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:14 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.