Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rosetta Mars Flyby, Info and Links
nprev
post Feb 26 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #106

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

No doubt, but I can hear him or her yelling "YAAAA-HOOO!!!!" as Rosetta passes periapsis... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Feb 26 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 26 2007, 12:28 AM) *
Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but the reaction to this image, which is rather bland and poorly exposed, surprises me a bit. No accounting for taste, I guess.

In less than a nanosecond I felt like "I've arrived at Mars" . Pack the gear and prepare to land at the foot of Olympus Mons. Then lets drive to the cliffs of Valles Marinaris!

ken

+Quote Post
mchan
post Feb 26 2007, 03:22 AM
Post #108

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 25 2007, 06:38 PM) *
No doubt, but I can hear him or her yelling "YAAAA-HOOO!!!!" as Rosetta passes periapsis... biggrin.gif

Or "YEEEE-HAAWW!!!"

But then as Mars rushes on closer, looming ever larger, the thought occurs, "Wait a sec, did I use metric or English units for that last course correction?" unsure.gif

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 26 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 25 2007, 06:28 PM) *
Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but the reaction to this image, which is rather bland and poorly exposed, surprises me a bit. No accounting for taste, I guess.

Doesn't surprise me a bit, Mike. I know exactly why, too.

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
lyford
post Feb 26 2007, 05:36 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 124

I dunno, but that picture sure evokes something from my subconscious past.....
perhaps this is what it is tapping into?
Attached Image

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 26 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #111

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

I guess it depends on how far genetics will go toward miniaturizing humans, and then if we can train them to hang onto a solar panel.

Very funny! I like that! (and asked for it!) tongue.gif

Just think how much less food and water and life support teeny humans would need tho... laugh.gif

Anyway, where are these wonderful crescent images huh? huh??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Feb 26 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 384

I hope this isn't going to become one of those SMART-1,Mars-Venus Express press releases...if so we might wait for few months to see another 3 images...
No... they should have learned something by now.... unsure.gif or not?!?
mars.gif mars.gif mars.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 26 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #113

Member No.: 523

It was Sunday yesterday, you know. And we did get a few images released fairly soon (including the new Mother Of All Global Mars Views). Seriously, what does it take to satisfy some people?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 26 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #114

The Poet Dude

Oh I'm satisfied, I'm just impatient! wink.gif

But seriously, if I was in charge of ESA Outreach, in competition for column inches and airtime with my better-funded and better-connected NASA counterparts, at a time when space exploration budgets are being squeezed tighter every month, I'd pay someone weekend overtime to get tapping away on their keyboards and get as many images "out there" as quickly as possible, not just to justify the money spent on the mission to the cynics and bean counters, but to keep the momentum going.

Sometimes I just think that, although they are undoubtedly very dedicated and professional at the running of space missions, the good people at ESA just Don't Get the importance of Outreach and of putting images out into the public domain. I know, old argument, zzzzzzzzzzzz, but... seriously... this is another gift horse they have here, and although they aren't kicking it in its mouth they are kind of leaving it to graze in a corner of the field on its own...

I'm sure the images will be worth the wait tho. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Feb 26 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #115

Member No.: 384

Me 2 ...just impatient...
Don't you wanna see more images sooner rather than later? Do you like waiting? huh.gif
I couldn't agree more with you Stu...

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
OWW
post Feb 26 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #116

Member No.: 99

It's not that the released images are not satisfying, it's the FEAR that ESA won't release any more of those wonderful images. A very Real fear in my opinion, based on the press-release record of SMART1/Venus-Express. Because of this past, people are going to expect the worst.

Personally, the moment ESA didn't release the batch of images yesterday at 13:00 CET as PROMISED, I knew it was time to better get excited about the New Horizons Jupiter encounter, because waiting for ESA images is setting yourself up for disappointment.

This all has nothing to do with the Quality of the images though, they're fantastic.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 26 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #117

Not to be defending them or anything (their PR efforts sure could use a boost), but maybe the other data didn't turn out to be spectacular in terms of quality and an "oomph" factor. That's been known to happen (and not just to ESA). Say for crescent images -- the phase is so large you could have miscalculated the exposures and got anything from severely underexposed images to very overexposed and bland images. Scattered sunlight might have been a problem as well.
That still leaves a bunch of approach data an Phobos images waiting to be released.

If they don't release anything else today (and maybe tomorrow), then I'll start being disappointed. Right now, I'm only impatient.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Feb 26 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #118

Guests

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 26 2007, 10:31 AM) *
Seriously, what does it take to satisfy some people?

More than 6 or 7 pictures? LOL tongue.gif Maybe that's all they ended up taking.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 26 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #119

I count eight (8) images that were all released on Sunday. Nine if you count that fudged red/green filter image. Sunday is usually a day off so, seriously, what'd you all expect?
Rosetta's got seven more years to travel till its destination and one day after a flyby you're impatient they didn't yet release all the imagery? Wow...

From several of the image descriptions:
Higher resolution images of Mars will be made available later.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 26 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #120

The Poet Dude

Hey, good news! When I enquired in an email about when we might expect more pictures, Jean-Pierre Bibring, one of the team responsible for That Image, very kindly wrote me back:

As for your question, we are presently processing both the CIVA images asquired during the swing by, and spectral images acquiring from the orbiter (VIRTIS) and from Mars Express (OMEGA). This should lead to pictures in the coming day, possibly released via ESA.

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:00 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.