36 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Sol581: Spirit Arrived!, ...on the summit of Husband hill
TheChemist
post Aug 24 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #151

Group: Members
Member No.: 112

A double post with an attachment is a nightmare to clean up, wait a sec please smile.gif

Edit: ok, it should be visible here, I hope laugh.gif

This post has been edited by TheChemist: Aug 24 2005, 02:49 PM
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Aug 24 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #152

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (ustrax @ Aug 24 2005, 02:43 PM)
It is just me or the image doesn't show up?...

Guess the problem is solved...
Yes The Chemist, that is my approach on it, what I was trying to say is that we're at a few meters drive of seing that southernmost edge of Ultreya right in front of the nearest elevation.

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
David
post Aug 24 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #153

Member No.: 56

Thanks to everyone who's been doing the great work to put together these stunning panoramic images -- and thanks also to JPL, and especially to Spirit. smile.gif

I have to say that, looking at these images is the first time that I felt that Mars was actually a real place, rather than just a map (seen from orbit) or a sandbox with a few rocks in it. Here you get a sense of Mars as a planet, a real world with vistas stretching out to really distant horizons, but from a point of view that is part of it, rather than a head-hanging-down-from-the-sky point of view. It looks like it could be part of earth; but then you notice the strange geology, and you're reminded that you could walk for a thousand years and never reach a place like this. Then you start feeling chills. What's most marvelous is that it's entirely new. I've read a lot of science fiction about Mars over the years, and some of the descriptions have been better and some worse, but none of them gave me a vista from a mountain top looking out at the dust-devils sweeping over the plains. That all by itself is worth a million dollars.

+Quote Post
general
post Aug 24 2005, 02:49 PM
Post #154

Member No.: 417

QUOTE (ustrax @ Aug 24 2005, 04:43 PM)
It is just me or the image doesn't show up?...

The link works just fine for me smile.gif

Here it is in full:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...ater-A147R1.jpg

Edit: Too late... laugh.gif (things go too fast for me, here biggrin.gif )

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Aug 24 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #155

Special Cookie

QUOTE (general @ Aug 24 2005, 02:49 PM)
The link works just fine for me  smile.gif

Here it is in full:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...ater-A147R1.jpg
Edit: Too late... laugh.gif (things go too fast for me, here biggrin.gif )

They are *really* fast today, looks like there was a cleaning event here... tongue.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Aug 24 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #156

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Ustrax,

And you thought that by leaving on vacations on August you would have lost all of this...

+Quote Post
Gonzz
post Aug 24 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #157

Member No.: 445

'Lurker mode off'

Oh guys, those are really amazing images, It's through your work that I'm following this amazing journey on planet Mars. You really make the difference. With the rover team busy controlling the rover (rightly so), and with the corresponding decrease of processed images comming from the NASA site you have stepped in and took the job of helping us all live through this wonderfull experience by showing us Mars in all it's full glory.

I don't contribute much to the forums, I don't come from a scientific background so I don't usually get involved in the geo discussions (although I love to read them), and my job keeps me so busy I hardly get the time to read through the tech imagery threads (so I could learn how to produce this beautiful images), nevertheless I come here everyday and everyday I am amazed by what I find here.

On behalf of all us lurkers biggrin.gif a very big thank you, merci, obrigado, danke, grazie, gracias, dank u!

You bring joy and amazement to a lot of people!

'lurker mode on' ph34r.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 24 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #158

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I have a special lurkdar - a lurker detection machine - and it's off the scale smile.gif

Yesterday - we had 116450 hits, instead of the more usual 50,000 or so smile.gif

That translates into 1500 visits instead of the usual 800ish.

Doug

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Aug 24 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 430

From the Cornell Daily Sun:

* Mars Rovers Make Progress

Despite seemingly hopeless long treks, and an encounter with a
dangerous sand dune, the Mars rovers made major advances and found
evidence of water in new regions of the planet this summer.
The Spirit rover reached the summit of Husband Hill...

http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/display.v/...4/430bf1e61df0d

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Astrophil
post Aug 24 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #160

Member No.: 232

Amazing pictures.

Anyone got any thoughts on the trapezium-ish-shaped darker area within the pale material within Homeplate? Is that going to turn out to be sand or dust, or what, making that colour change?

+Quote Post
Guest_RGClark_*
post Aug 24 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #161

Guests

Great images Chemist, Doug and Nirgal.

Those two cones near "home plate" do look like cinder cones. Perhaps these will prove to be recent volcanic activity.
The flat area called "home plate" looks to me like a "maar", a volcanic crater due to water, volcanic interaction.
Some mounds on this side of the Columbia Hills were interpreted by Carbol et.al. as frost mounds:

Thyra Crater.
http://cmex.arc.nasa.gov/CMEX/data/catalog...hyraCrater.html

However, another interpretation is that they are lava flows:

A volcanic interpretation of Gusev Crater surface materials
from thermophysical, spectral, and morphological evidence.
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 110, E01003, doi:10.1029/2004JE002327, 2005
http://www.geo.umass.edu/courses/geo892/Feb_16_paper_don.pdf
See p. 18 and Fig. 17.

Bob Clark

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Aug 24 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #162

Special Cookie

QUOTE (RGClark @ Aug 24 2005, 03:29 PM)
Great images Chemist, Doug and Nirgal.

Those two cones near "home plate" do look like cinder cones. Perhaps these will prove to be recent volcanic activity.
The flat area called "home plate" looks to me like a "maar", a volcanic crater due to water, volcanic interaction.
Some mounds on this side of the Columbia Hills were interpreted by Carbol et.al. as frost mounds:

Thyra Crater.
http://cmex.arc.nasa.gov/CMEX/data/catalog...hyraCrater.html

However, another interpretation is that they are lava flows:

A volcanic interpretation of Gusev Crater surface materials
from thermophysical, spectral, and morphological evidence.
JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH, VOL. 110, E01003, doi:10.1029/2004JE002327, 2005
http://www.geo.umass.edu/courses/geo892/Feb_16_paper_don.pdf
See p. 18 and Fig. 17.
  Bob Clark

RGClark, I went looking for the maar features you've talked about, and it looks like a consistent hypothesis for me...

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_i.../Maar_xsect.jpg

Here is an earthly example:

http://home.planet.nl/~monique.schilders/maar.jpg

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Aug 24 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #163

Special Cookie

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Aug 24 2005, 02:58 PM)
Ustrax,

And you thought that by leaving on vacations on August you would have lost all of this...

I was charging batteries under the unclement iberian sun... tongue.gif

--------------------
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Aug 24 2005, 03:42 PM
Post #164

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (David @ Aug 24 2005, 09:48 AM)
I have to say that, looking at these images is the first time that I felt that Mars was actually a real place, rather than just a map (seen from orbit) or a sandbox with a few rocks in it.  Here you get a sense of Mars as a planet, a real world with vistas stretching out to really distant horizons...  It looks like it could be part of earth; but then you notice the strange geology...  Then you start feeling chills.  What's most marvelous is that it's entirely new.  I've read a lot of science fiction about Mars over the years, and some of the descriptions have been better and some worse, but none of them gave me a vista from a mountain top looking out at the dust-devils sweeping over the plains.  That all by itself is worth a million dollars.

David... you expressed my sentiments exactly. Some of the initial black & white navcams from the summit... with windswept dunes and textured, weathered rock, and vistas of Tennessee Valley, and the plains beyond... are really artistic in the same league as an Ansel Adams photo of Yosemite in the western U.S. And the dust devils just make it seem that much more "alive". Then the color pancams... wow. You just get the feeling that you're able to stand there and witness this place.. I just have to add my thanks to all on this forum who work so feverishly to bring such incredible vistas to life..... and to the MER team for providing all this raw info to work with!

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Aug 24 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #165

Member No.: 105

Might?!!
Might! Might! Might!
Water please!... 

Proud to be part of the martian's favourite reality show... 

Oh God...I'm happy... 

Now watch Spirit find a neat outcrop and spend the next 30Sols scratching-and-sniffing. And Ustrax will have conniption fit of Arean proportions... sad.gif

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.