Reply to this topicStart new topic
Images of (lots of) the Arctic, Looking for sources
elakdawalla
post Sep 3 2008, 01:26 AM
Post #1

Bloggette par Excellence

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm trying to find something that may not exist, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here for help. I'm looking for a nice-looking satellite image(s) (optical or radar) that show the current extent of Arctic sea ice. The Arctic is a problem because of its polar location -- the geosynchronous satellites that give us whole-Earth views get only a severely foreshortened view of the poles, so they're not a good source. There are polar-orbiting satellites but they're much closer so you need a mosaic; and the pole being icy and oceany, it's pretty cloudy a lot of the time. There's a pretty great Envisat radar data set including this fascinating release from just a couple days ago, but as cool (and sobering) as those images are, they're not very aesthetically pretty. Does anyone know of anything prettier out there?

--Emily

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post Sep 3 2008, 02:15 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 124

Maybe not exactly what you want, but you can roll your own in Google Earth....

National Snow and Ice Data Center
Arctic sea ice concentrations and extents, updated daily

I think NASA's World Wind has a cryosphere layer plug in, but I don't know that program too well....

Which may have been used to make these nice shots

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
tty
post Sep 4 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 273

Try Aqua MODIS, for example this one:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtim....php?A082121655

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 8 2008, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Bloggette par Excellence

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Thanks lyford, those are lovely; I hadn't seen that cryosphere today page before.

tty--MODIS images are lovely of course but that confounded Arctic climate keeps making too many clouds, which are awfully hard to tell from ice!

--Emily

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tty
post Sep 9 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 273

The MODIS pictures may still be preferable despite the cloud problem. Microwave based ice maps are unreliable during the melting season and tend to underestimate the amount of ice since it is very difficult to distinguish open water from meltwater pools on top of the ice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.