Reply to this topicStart new topic
JunoCam "Marble Movie", July 10 through October 14
elakdawalla
post Aug 9 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Almost 900 MB of "Marble Movie" data now available: https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 9 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The newly released Marble Movie data cover 10 Jul to 28 Jul. For the most part, images are taken every 15 minutes. Until 16 July it alternated RGB and blue, after that it's just RGB. Every two days beginning July 17, there is a methane filter image. There are two gaps in the data, one between 13 Jul 17:00 and 14 Jul 02:15, and the other from 14 Jul 13:00 to 14 Jul 20:15.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 9 2016, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 497

Note that unlike the approach movie images, which had to be full-spin 82-frame images, now that we're in orbit we are able to use "nadir mode" which times the image acquisition based on s/c attitude knowledge of when Jupiter is in the FOV. This reduces the data volume a lot, but has the unhappy side effect of splitting the planet across two green framelets for most of the RGB images, which makes processing a bit harder depending on how one does it.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 9 2016, 11:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6780

That's the output of my first out-of-the-hip calibration test run, starting with a wild guess of the camera parameters:
Attached Image

The second iteration run should provide better-centered images.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 10 2016, 01:07 AM
Post #5

A very first taste of an animated version with 6 frames showing the Great Red Spot:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 10 2016, 05:01 AM
Post #6

I've uploaded the first few hundred processed RGB still frames (a zip with about 250 MB).
After the sequence up to image 2449, covered by the zip, Juno's spin axis changed a bit. This required an adjustment of the processing parameters.
It's the kind of x-coordinate coverage with which I hope to be able to narrow down the remaining degrees of freedom in my camera model.
The processing of the remaining color images is still running. I'll upload the results later, in a few hours.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Aug 10 2016, 08:50 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6842

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 10 2016, 06:01 AM) *
I've uploaded the first few hundred processed RGB still frames (a zip with about 250 MB).

A derivative version from the last frame in that zip, with colours auto-balanced and north up:

Attached Image

Credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech / SwRI / MSSS / Gerald Eichstädt / Maksim Kakitsev

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 10 2016, 12:29 PM
Post #8

I've added a preliminary AVI version of the "Marble Movie" (about 24 MB).
The first half is good. In the second half, there is some misalignment, wobbling and flickering. To treat this, I'll likeley need to apply a more time-consuming reprocessing.

Edit: The remaining preliminary stills of the AVI are now online.
I've skipped image 2450, since it requires parameters specific to this image, which are TBD.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Aug 11 2016, 12:23 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 10 2016, 08:29 PM) *
.... a preliminary AVI version of the "Marble Movie"[/url] (about 24 MB).

Wonderful animation Gerald, seeing the orbiting moons made it special for me smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 11 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #10

Thanks Paul, for finding time to have a look at the Juno mission! smile.gif

This enhanced version of JunoCam's first "methane" image of Jupiter
Attached Image

shows bright regions near the poles, as well as bright bands closer to the equator.
The image is derived from a crop of the raw image
Attached Image

and enhanced as sketched in this animated gif:

Attached Image

The brightest pixel is in the northern (lower) bright band near the equator. Since it's only one pixel, it may be noise. If it's a real feature, it's not in the neighborhood of to the Great Red Spot
Attached Image
This gif contains enhanced frames of immediately before and after the methane image, a strongly enhanced version of the methane image in-between, and the Great Red Spot image:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 11 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #11

The first 81 color frames of the "Marble Movie", linearized to enhance cloud band structure, and cropped around Jupiter, as a lossy gif preview:
Attached Image

The stills of this gif are derived from the zipped stills I've uploaded yesterday.

... I'm preparing an AVI of better quality for the "Marble Movie" RGB images until JNC image #2449.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 11 2016, 02:24 PM
Post #12

The AVI, white-balanced version:
Attached File  junocam_marble_movie_until_frame2449_crop_lin_white.avi ( 524.7K ) Number of downloads: 518

Interestingly, the file is of better quality than the gif, contains a lot more (602) frames, but it's of smaller file size.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 11 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Gerald @ Aug 11 2016, 06:24 AM) *
The AVI, white-balanced version...

This looks really good. You might consider rotating it so north is up.

Finding better ways of enhancing the moons without bringing up the noise background is something we spent a fair bit of time on. I found that masking the planet and then linearly stretching the background worked OK, though if you make the mask too large you cut off the moons near the planet and if you make it too small you end up with a ring of stray light around the planet.

BTW, the planet gets very small but marble movie becomes interesting later on as the spacecraft approaches the equatorial plane and you can see the moons' motion become more and more linear.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Aug 11 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #14

Thanks!
Here the north-up version:
Attached File  junocam_marble_movie_until_frame2449_crop_lin_white_rot180.avi ( 523.55K ) Number of downloads: 471

I may implement and test some moon-enhancement versions later today. The log-version I've posted for the Jupiter Approach movie was intended to ensure, that no information gets lost on the level of the darkest colors. But specific for moon enhancement, there are several options. Later today or tomorrow, I may post the best solutions I can find in the short run.

Yeah, the countdown to PJ1 is running. Exciting, and still a lot to prepare...
Good to know, that the motion of the moons is going to become even more interesting. So it appears useful to run some more tests with the images already available.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 12 2016, 02:44 AM
Post #15

I think the public image upload capability at missionjuno is now live -- https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/junocam/processing and push the upload button in the upper right corner.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.