Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL development & assembly, Until it's shipped to the Cape
tharrison
post Jul 2 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 5163

QUOTE (MahFL @ Jul 2 2010, 03:46 AM) *
I doubt there can ever be a wheeled vehicle that cannot be trapped in some hellish sand trap. No doubt the drivers though will be very carefull.

Well, the drivers were the ones that got Spirit stuck...the science team folks told them not to drive in the sandy area where it got stuck but they did it anyway. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Twitter: @tanyaofmars
Web: http://www.tanyaofmars.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jul 6 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #32

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (tharrison @ Jul 2 2010, 06:36 PM) *
Well, the drivers were the ones that got Spirit stuck...the science team folks told them not to drive in the sandy area where it got stuck but they did it anyway. rolleyes.gif

Can you supply a reference to backup that statement ?

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Jul 8 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 721

Would you ask Scott Maxwell for a reference every time he tweets something? Insider info is good enough for me. I guess I'm just a trusting soul. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sgendreau
post Jul 9 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 4937

QUOTE (tharrison @ Jul 2 2010, 11:36 AM) *

The drivers can overrule the science team when deciding where to go? How's that?

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jul 9 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (sgendreau @ Jul 9 2010, 09:29 AM) *
The drivers can overrule the science team when deciding where to go? How's that?

Safety reasons. The drivers are obviously the ones controlling the vehicle. They should call the shots. (Though this goes against what tharrison posted above. biggrin.gif)

Much as how a landing site (for Phoenix, MER, MSL or whatever) that's proposed by the science team can be disapproved by the engineering team if the site is deemed too hazardous.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 9 2010, 07:32 PM
Post #36

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

If you read Scott Maxwell's blog, you'll get a feel for how the scientists' job is to pick destinations, not routes; the drivers' job is to route the rover to the destination safely -- or to tell the scientists it can't be done because it can't be done safely. If you read Scott's blog you'll also get a feel for how much he hates to say things can't be done. If there's a way to do it safely, they'll find it. But then it may take too much time and the scientists will decide it's not worth it. There is a great deal of give-and-take in the daily process of planning the rovers' driving.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 9 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #37

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Worth noting in the case of spirit - Scientists have explicitly said that they didn't see Spirit's current sand trap coming.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 10 2010, 12:55 AM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

One other thing worth noting: This is no-kidding exploration of an alien planet in its purest sense, and the MERs have not only survived long beyond expectations but surmounted numerous unexpected obstacles. This does not presuppose a magic ability to see things coming in an alien environment, but does speak volumes about the talent of the team.

Hell, if I was driving the MERs we'd have been lucky to get off the descent stages, and I'd probably have a couple of DUIs! wink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mirek
post Jul 13 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 4905

MSL spins its wheels for the first time (July 9th 2010).

http://tinyurl.com/2ej2l26

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 14 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #40

Merciless Robot

Awesome. She's looking like a no-kidding rover now!!!

Question: What's the deal with the wheels re that one region on each that has no tread, just connecting strips + holes? Is that for mass savings, or perhaps an artifact of the fabrication process, or is there an operational reason?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 14 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 197

I was under the impression that like the MERs, the interrupted tread pattern was for optical navigation purposes but I can't cite the source of that information offhand.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 14 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #42

Merciless Robot

Sounds logical. I'm kind of surprised at the size of the holes, though; definitely a major decrease in surface contact area over, what, maybe 30 deg of the circumference?

Obviously there's more than enough margin, though; if one wheel slips, odds are that all the rest won't have their holed regions on the surface at the same time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jul 14 2010, 02:10 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 429

I guess martian rocks would eventually get stuck in the holes and increase the surface contact area rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
toddbronco2
post Jul 14 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 5281

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 13 2010, 05:21 PM) *
Awesome. She's looking like a no-kidding rover now!!!

Question: What's the deal with the wheels re that one region on each that has no tread, just connecting strips + holes? Is that for mass savings, or perhaps an artifact of the fabrication process, or is there an operational reason?

You guys are going to love this (I was clued into it by a guy on the MSL ATLO team)! There's a Morse code message hidden in those gaps. The video shows it pretty clearly too, though I guess the pattern is backwards if you look at the rover from the front
.---
.--.
.-..

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jul 14 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3908

Unnecessary quote removed Admin

Translation: "JPL".

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:44 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.