Reply to this topicStart new topic
SMART-1 impact, September 2006
Phil Stooke
post Mar 16 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Emily posted a very nice article in her blog on the SMART-1 lunar impact in September this year. Here's a map of the targeted point:

Attached Image

But as Emily explained, the actual point may be off because of uncertainties about topography.

I'm starting this thread to have a place for news and opinions on it, and - I really hope - maybe some observations at the time from any amateur astronomers out there. This event will be the last event to make it into my atlas. I've left a space for it, and I will make the final maps and fit them in, and then send the stuff off to the publisher.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 16 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 430

The March 16 edition of LPOD has an image of the SMART-1
impact region from Lunar Orbiter 4:

http://www.lpod.org/?m=20060316

Interesting quote:

"The good news is that SMART-1 has captured thousands of images of the Moon; the bad news is that because of the daily pressures of flying the mission the team will not have time to start archiving the images and release then until after the impact. Apparently many of the images have not been looked at by anyone!"

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 16 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Mar 16 2006, 08:41 PM) *
Interesting quote:

"The good news is that SMART-1 has captured thousands of images of the Moon; the bad news is that because of the daily pressures of flying the mission the team will not have time to start archiving the images and release then until after the impact. Apparently many of the images have not been looked at by anyone!"

Now, why doesn't that excuse work for, say, MSSS? Well, I guess SMART-1 doesn't have a "People's Camera" installed. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Mar 16 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Mar 16 2006, 08:41 PM) *
Interesting quote:

Pah! We'd have looked at them if they'd let us...

In the famous words of the Eurovision Song Contest: ESA - Nil Points!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 16 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Somehow, they get away with that excuse across the whole of ESA.

Doug

+Quote Post
odave
post Mar 16 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 209

SMART-1 @ Home?

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 17 2006, 12:35 AM
Post #7

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 16 2006, 09:06 PM) *
Somehow, they get away with that excuse across the whole of ESA.

As a taxpayer who funds an admittedly minuscle component of this I am embarassed. The science is good and theadministration is defensible but the public outreach is abysmal.
Oh well - time to ping my MEP yet again.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 17 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #8

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

What we need is Esawatch - I'm not a Cowing fan, but at least he asks the awkward questions from time to time.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Mar 17 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 17 2006, 08:34 AM) *
What we need is Esawatch - I'm not a Cowing fan, but at least he asks the awkward questions from time to time.

Do you really think an "ESAWatch" would work in Europe, given that U.S. "democracy" materially differs from European "democracy"? We (the U.S.) have our faults, as Europeans are more than willing to point out, but there are some ideas that work here that, in my opinion, wouldn't be easily transplantable to Europe. That said, I would love to see someone give ESA a dose of the "Cowing treatment," even if only for the sake of Schadenfreude.

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Mar 22 2006, 04:03 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 722

I'm not optimistic about the results; I'm no expert, but has *any* impacting spacecraft or spent booster on the Moon generated a confirmed flash or ejecta sighting from Earth?

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 22 2006, 04:27 AM
Post #11

A very good question.

There is general agreement, I believe, that the Hiten impact on 10 April 1993 was visible, in fact imaged in IR (Google will lead you to the image). Like SMART-1 it was in darkness near the terminator on the near side.

There were poorly documented reports that Luna 2's impact was observed (Sky & Tel. Nov 1960 p. 265). Similarly Luna 5's upper stage rocket (New Scientist, soon after impact, but I don't have the reference yet), and Luna 7 (unpublished MSC internal report in LPI library). Most western observers discounted these reports, and strenuous efforts to view the Ranger impacts came to nothing. But modern CCD and IR imaging should do much better. I personally have little doubt that SMART-1 is at the very least worth making an effort to see, and in fact will probably be imaged.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 22 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 21 2006, 11:27 PM) *
A very good question.

There is general agreement, I believe, that the Hiten impact on 10 April 1993 was visible, in fact imaged in IR (Google will lead you to the image). Like SMART-1 it was in darkness near the terminator on the near side.

There were poorly documented reports that Luna 2's impact was observed (Sky & Tel. Nov 1960 p. 265). Similarly Luna 5's upper stage rocket (New Scientist, soon after impact, but I don't have the reference yet), and Luna 7 (unpublished MSC internal report in LPI library). Most western observers discounted these reports, and strenuous efforts to view the Ranger impacts came to nothing. But modern CCD and IR imaging should do much better. I personally have little doubt that SMART-1 is at the very least worth making an effort to see, and in fact will probably be imaged.

Phil

Dust cloud produced by Luna-5 impacting the lunar surface:

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr..._1979073878.pdf

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
J.J.
post Mar 24 2006, 05:10 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 722

Thanks for the answers, people.

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 24 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #14

Very useful new report on the impact:

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object/in...objectid=38988#

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Messenger
post Mar 24 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Mar 16 2006, 02:05 PM) *
Pah! We'd have looked at them if they'd let us...

In the famous words of the Eurovision Song Contest: ESA - Nil Points!

Bob Shaw

I wonder if the lens cap is off... mad.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.