3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Full Lunar Eclipse Feb 20/21 / Earth picture
bjb
post Feb 7 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4025

I see we have a full lunar eclipse coming on Feb 20/21 (depending where you live).

I know that even during a full eclipse the Moon is still visible with a coppery hue, due to the refraction of light around the Earth.

Now that we have a bunch of probes in orbit of the Moon, is there any plan / is it possible to take an image of the Earth from the Moon during totality? (or has this already been done?)

I would think that a picture of the Earth surrounded by a red ring would be amazing!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brellis
post Feb 7 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1700

I read somewhere that it will be possible to see both the setting sun and the rising orange moon in Los Angeles that evening. I'm curious how high you have to be to get that view - it might be the perfect time to visit Griffith Observatory!

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 7 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (bjb @ Feb 7 2008, 11:26 PM) *
Now that we have a bunch of probes in orbit of the Moon, is there any plan / is it possible to take an image of the Earth from the Moon during totality? (or has this already been done?)

Now that sounds like a perfect job for Kaguya's HDTV camera. Depending on the totality duration the numbers might not work out, but my hunch tells me Kaguya should be able to witness at least one Earthrise/set if the totality is over 1 hr in duration.

That ought to be a spectacular sight, a brilliant orange ring of light rising over a dark, blood-red lunar horizon. I wonder what the topography would look like at that phase and lightning intensity. Certainly sounds like an awesome shot to take if available.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FordPrefect
post Feb 7 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 738

Interesting thought! In the past I was too wondering how a total lunar eclipse would look from the moon. Let's cross the fingers Kaguya will be able to take some (stunning?) HDTV shots of this event. Though the timeline is pretty tight, especially when considering that Kaguya needs about 120 minutes for one revolution.

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Feb 7 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

>I read somewhere that it will be possible to see both the setting sun and the rising orange moon in Los Angeles that evening.

And what a sight! It looks like the Moon will just be entering the inner dark shadow as it rises.

>I'm curious how high you have to be to get that view - it might be the perfect time to visit Griffith Observatory!

Griffith might be nice, but I don't recall if the mountains at the observatory block the eastern horizon. I recall hiking to a lookout point a couple miles east of the Observatory when trying to see the clouded out Annular eclipse and we were looking down on it against the city background. I would at any rate suggest getting away from the city lights as much as possible. I fear that only the latter portion of totality will be seen in or close to a night time sky from Southern California. (I am in Palm Springs)

I love Lunar eclipses, the subtle colors visible inside the Earth shadow can be seen by the human eye better than what all but the most dedicated photographic efforts can record. I think rapidly shot RGB filtered grayscale images should do the job but practically all film and most digital images I have seen render the shadows as little more than a garish red orange. I have in the past 30 years of taking down color observations at one time or another seen muted examples of color from the entire spectrum within the umbra region. I have seen some video images which do surprisingly well despite the limited exposure latitude inherent to that medium.

A summary of my observations of the last such eclipse can be seen at the top of this page:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/BM07WEB/BM07page2.html

Earlier Lunar Eclipse observations are at the bottom of this page:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/2003NEW/ASTROOBS2.html
This starts with a made-for-print reproduction oil painting exaggerating the colors, and later digital efforts aspiring to capture a visual impression on the screen.

Don

+Quote Post
NGC3314
post Feb 8 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3958

QUOTE (bjb @ Feb 7 2008, 04:26 PM) *

Surveyor III was able to get some variously filtered images of an eclipse in 1966. One color-composite version is shown here. Of course, HDTV would be Really Cool if it can be done...

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Feb 9 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 174

"Surveyor III was able to get some variously filtered images of an eclipse in 1966. One color-composite version is shown"

A couple years <or decades, it feels like now> I posted here a considerably improved pair of the Surveyor 3 images, reassembled from good quality black and white color separations published in JPL TR series reports on Surveyor.

The image linked to had massive overexposure saturating part of the bright limb and "blooming" of the overexposed image on the vidicon detector. The original NASA Press Release image was horrible, even given that data's blooming problem.

The other image was actually the much better image but was never press released in color. In my reconstruction, you can see parts of the faint blue ring of upper atmospheric scattering of sunlight with orange-red blobs where gaps in clouds on the limb let direct sunlight get refracted around the limb to reach the camera.

I've tried poking around the archives here and I don't find the post. It's not on my internetting computer at the moment, so I'll have to dig for it.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Feb 9 2008, 07:07 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1700

NASA Archive pic

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 21 2008, 04:04 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15

Everyone, quickly, get on your knees and pray! Some great evil monster has swallowed up the Moon!

rolleyes.gif

All seriousness aside, it's a really visually stunning eclipse. I don't have the proper imaging equipment, or I'd take a pic and share it. As of about five minutes ago, there was a nice bright white rind along the southeast limb, and the rest of the face of the Moon was colored a lovely shade of copper... *grin*...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Feb 21 2008, 04:17 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 103

Strange coincidence - Apollo 12 witnessed a solar eclipse while carrying back from the Moon the camera of Surveyor III, which had also photographed a solar eclipse.

Beautiful eclipse tonight! I hope lots of folks got to see it.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
laurele
post Feb 21 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1183

"Beautiful eclipse tonight! I hope lots of folks got to see it."

Here in New Jersey, we really lucked out with the weather tonight. The astronomy club I belong to scheduled an eclipse viewing event, and when we first arrived, there were a lot of clouds, and the moon kept alternating between being visible and totally obscured. It was also somewhat hazy. But by the time the eclipse really got underway, the sky had totally cleared to the point that we had what is probably the clearest sky possible at the observatory, which is not in a dark sky location. Everybody was thrilled with the beautiful view, and we had the opportunity to see it with binoculars and telescopes people had brought. Since the sky got so clear, we used the observatory's 24 inch telescope to view Saturn along with several of its moons. The only drawback was it was quite cold, probably in the 20s. Still, viewing this eclipse was a wonderful experience, and I can't wait to see the pictures several club members took.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 21 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (laurele @ Feb 21 2008, 12:39 AM) *
The only drawback was it was quite cold, probably in the 20s.

While I got a good view of this eclipse, I didn't take a long one. Here in Frostbite Falls... er, um, Minneapolis, Minnesota, it was about four below zero F (~20 below C) during mid-eclipse. It's down to about 10 below now (somewhere around 23 below C)... good for clear air, not so good for comfortable outdoor viewing.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 21 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #13

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I had a view of the eclipse for a while (in other words, between clouds). Here are a few shots (I haven't even downloaded all the pictures from the camera yet).

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Feb 21 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 678

Very clear sky over Marseille in France.

Some pictures taken this night :

Rising over Puget Mount at 19:00 :

Before entering the shadow of the earth, Regulus and Saturn are following the very bright moon :

And some eclipse phasis :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Feb 21 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 678

Continuing the diving into the shadow

Saturn and Regulus began to lightens more:

Shadow progress :

Sort of color that I like :

And finally, full eclipse :

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.