Reply to this topicStart new topic
Google Lunar X Prize
Phil Stooke
post Oct 23 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #121

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

One other thing I could have added... I always regarded Odyssey moon as a leading contender, but they have not updated their website for over a year. Recently their leader, Bob Richards, quit, and resurfaced in a 'new' team, Moon Express, which has evolved out of another team. Moon Express is one of the winners of the recent NASA data purchase competition.

Richard Speck, leader of Micro-Space, has just died, casting doubt on the future of that team.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 6 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #122

Resurrecting a long-dormant thread... as things are finally moving towards success (or failure). I have supported the basic concept of private missions to the Moon for quiite a while now, but it has been very slow going, and as expected the greatest difficulties arose from raising money and mastering technology.

I think GLXP started out naively assuming that a few techies working in a garage somewhere could design a moon lander using off-the-shelf materials and fly cheaply to the Moon. Well, off the shelf doesn't cut it, and the cheap launches expected at the time faded away (Falcon 1) or didn't materialise. The new entrants in that field are untested, though I think Rocket Lab have a shot.

So where are we now? Five teams reached the mandatory launch agreements before the end of 2016 and can proceed. They are SpaceIL, Indus, Hakuto, Moon Express and Synergy Moon. Hakuto flies with Team Indus, not on its own. Long-time favourite Astrobotic is delaying until 2019 and so not in the GLXP competition any more. PTScientists made a booking with a ride-share broker (to fly as a secondary payload on another launch) but as the broker did not have a slot in place soon enough they lost out, but may still fly later.

There is a nice abstract at LPSC this year:

http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2017/pdf/1914.pdf

about SpaceIL's landing site planning. Quite well planned, I must say. Three candidates so far, all at magnetic anomalies. The other teams have not published much about site selection, though Synergy Moon had a past study on the Apollo 17 site: http://www.synergymoon.com/ELSa.pdf

Moon Express has hinted at landing near Surveyor 7, and certainly in the southern mid-latitudes. Team Indus has a site in Oceanus Procellarum: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1410.3266.pdf .

PTScientists have suggested landing near Apollo 17 and examining its roving vehicle. And Astrobotic has a site in Lacus Mortis near a 'skylight' pit.

Here's a map of currently suggested sites:

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 7 2017, 12:24 AM
Post #123

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Interesting re SpaceIL's site selection strategy. They looking for large iron-nickel meteorites?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 7 2017, 01:45 AM
Post #124

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 6 2017, 04:24 PM) *
They looking for large iron-nickel meteorites?

Maybe buried black monoliths. wink.gif

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 7 2017, 01:53 AM
Post #125

Good one! Mike, you were always much more sceptical than I was about the ultimate success of GLXP. I'd say you have been 90% correct so far. I'm just hoping I can still get my 10%. If nothing else, it makes a good story in a certain forthcoming book.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.