3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rhea Revisited, Mosaics from the 30 August 2007 Encounter
dvandorn
post Aug 28 2008, 06:27 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Ya know, EC... back when the forum was deciding (in some poll or another) that Rhea was undoubtedly the most boring single object in the Solar System, I vehemently disagreed, noting many of the features you're pointing out in these excellent images. Especially the massive proliferation of what are either endogenously-controlled graben or exogenously-controlled crater chains.

Thank you very much for bringing into focus this quite fascinating satellite.

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 28 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #17

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

It is still the most boring moon in the solar system (that meets the spherical requirement for being a planet). But no one says that boring can't have some beauty to it.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Aug 28 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 528

My vote for the single most boring object in the solar system is a tie between Dr. Phil and Regis Philbin.

In third place, Rhea is the solid contender.

That being said, these mosaics are beautiful. Especially the rayed crater. Thanks for processing these and sharing.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 28 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #19

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Wow, strange coincidences. After too much beer, I almost posted to "inform" exploitcorporations that the images were of Rhea, not Dione...not sure why I was thinking Dione. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Aug 28 2008, 12:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 627

Absolutely stunning, EC!!!!! As always.

Rhea is almost like the control blank for the Saturn system. Heavily pelted and now serene(?!) under all those scars.

Craig

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 28 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 523

Superb mosaics, Exploitcorporations!

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Aug 28 2008, 06:47 AM) *
(psssst....I'd like to see that whole mosaic in color sometime. If anyone can do it, it's you.)

I'm not sure I'll be doing the whole huge color mosaic soon, too many frames and Rhea rotates considerably during the one or so hour it took. Here's just one section in false color, contrast-stretched and I subdued the hues a bit. Removed the Saturn backdrop as perspective change between footprints caused registration problems.

It looks pretty nice, even if I do say so myself. Rhea may be the most boring moon, but I prefer it over say Dione as it's actually got some nice brownish hue to it. Dione is greenish in false color; yuck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 28 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 132

Attached Image

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 28 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Aug 28 2008, 12:47 AM) *
The closeup view in the upper right corner begs a few questions...."Is all that powdery craterless freshness landslides? What's up with that peppering of tiny craters near the central peak? Are those layers in them thar walls?"

Some massive settling on the left post-impact means fewer secondary impact craters than on the right?

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 28 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 523

Speaking of impact deposits, did anyone take note of a string of dark stains seen vertical (splitting the mosaic right in half) in my above composite? Here's a crop and enhancement at the original geometry, equator is roughy horizontal:
Attached Image

They're very faint, but are black-ish unlike the rest of Rhean regolith. Apparently they can only be seen in lower phase imagery due to very low contrast. Do we know of a crater whose ejecta might have produced this (although ejecta on Rhea seems brighter than the surroundings) or could this have something to do with the hypothesized ring? I found the equatorial orientation somewhat interesting, otherwise I'd pay no attention to this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 28 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #25

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

It has the appearance of a massive landslide or escarpment.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 28 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 28 2008, 06:17 PM) *
They're very faint, but are black-ish unlike the rest of Rhean regolith. Apparently they can only be seen in lower phase imagery due to very low contrast. Do we know of a crater whose ejecta might have produced this (although ejecta on Rhea seems brighter than the surroundings) or could this have something to do with the hypothesized ring? I found the equatorial orientation somewhat interesting, otherwise I'd pay no attention to this.

Very very interesting. So this obviously can't be Rhea. I don't really see deposits like that forming linear features in other directions.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Aug 28 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #27

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

Here's the parting global mosaic , with the poorly registering Saturn backdrop replaced. 24 clear filtered images are used, with one WAC image plugging gaps in the western limb.

ISS_049RH_REGMAP001_PRIME:

Attached Image

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 29 2008, 08:14 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 655

^ Magnificent!
I've often felt slightly guilty at vicariously enjoying the fantastic image products showcased here, so I've recently bought Photoshop and am slowly teaching myself the basics - hopefully I'll be able to post some mosaics myself at some stage. smile.gif

Ugordan - very intriguing dark markings near Rhea's equator (and well-spotted once again), it would be interesting to see how closely they match with the supposed orientation of any ring material.
There seems to be a large amount of dark material in the Saturn system (Phoebe, Iapetus, and at the bottom of craters on Hyperion, Janus and Epimetheus, to say nothing of regional differences on Dione and Tethys) I wonder how similar the material is spectroscopically?

+Quote Post
tasp
post Aug 29 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 162

The Gehrels Asteroid book indicates the Iapetan dark stuff is quite similar to D type asteroid spectra.

IIRC, we also have Cassini data indicating the Hyperion and Iapetan dark stuffs are quite similar to each other.

Also note, the Iapetan dark stuff shows a visual subtle color shift going from east to west (or west to east if you think about it).

To me, the color shift is kind of a problem for the folks theorizing the dark stuff is evaporative residue. Particularly if there is a mechanism for an externally sourced dark material that might sequentially apply (react?) longitudinally in synchrony with Iapetus' position around Saturn.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Aug 29 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #30

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Aug 27 2008, 11:21 PM) *
Sorry for being lazy/absent/ugly/electrocuted/ect. I lurk religiously and post stingily. Except for today.

We've been missing you. Now get over to the HAPS thread pronto. smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.