IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter campaign at Cook Haven, Sol 3512 - 3599 (December 13, 2013 - March 10, 2014)
TheAnt
post Mar 3 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Mar 1 2014, 10:10 PM) *
Tonight on Ethel the Frog, we look at Opportunity's obsession that she is being followed by an enormous indurated breccia named Spiny Norman...

biggrin.gif

Monthy Phyton. biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 4 2014, 05:32 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 152

Oppy's continuing to produce impressive power for this time of year - just past solstice and she's up to 464 Whr!

From the latest update.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Mar 4 2014, 11:45 AM
Post #183

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I did not know they were using the IDD to crush rocks.

+Quote Post
climber
post Mar 4 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 682

Did you also note that people's pictures who write the updates didn't change till 2004? Oppy's still a young lady...

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Mar 4 2014, 03:31 PM
Post #185

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (MahFL @ Mar 4 2014, 03:45 AM) *
I did not know they were using the IDD to crush rocks.

I didn't know it either, and I believe I was on shift that day...

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Cruzeiro do Sul
post Mar 5 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 3927

QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 4 2014, 05:32 AM) *
Oppy's continuing to produce impressive power for this time of year - just past solstice and she's up to 464 Whr!

From the latest update.

Whoa!! This last update show a solar array dust factor of 0,691 when the lattest were 0,610;0,590 and 0,594. So, a relatively big cleening event had happened during this last week. Thanks to wind god of Mars (the same of earth; eole?). rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
serpens
post Mar 6 2014, 01:45 AM
Post #187

Member No.: 4605

Good point Cruzeiro do Sul. It depends on which mythology you base the naming on I guess. In normal use here on Terra we tend to use the term Aeolian based on the Greek god of the winds Aeolus, although non traditionalists use eolian. But we are now discussing Mars and since that relates to the Roman god of war then we should probably use the Roman wind gods, Venti.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 6 2014, 03:36 AM
Post #188

Member No.: 15

Both mythologies are referenced in scientific jargon. For example, you'll see discussions of aeolian erosion forming ventifact rocks...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 6 2014, 04:48 AM
Post #189

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Aeolus held the winds in a bag. What did Venti keep them in? A really big cup?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 6 2014, 05:03 AM
Post #190

Some details about the recent dust cleaning (venti-lation?) in the latest PS report:
"We’ve never seen anything like this before," said Bill Nelson, chief of MER engineering. "Normally, a dust cleaning is a one or two day event and we get a jump in power. Here we've seen a continuous rise over weeks. Instead of dust building up a little bit every sol, dust has been blown off the array a little bit every sol and the power has gotten a little better and a little better and a little better."

Why Opportunity has been experiencing this ongoing dusting is anybody's guess right now. "We seem to be in some kind of a wind channel," said Nelson. "We’re thinking it’s some combination of the rover’s position on the crest, on the edge of the crater, and the way the winds are blowing or circulating through Endeavour."

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Mar 6 2014, 06:04 AM
Post #191

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

After reading that in the report I was immediately thinking about the way that sand blows off the top of a dune keeping it almost in continuous motion even in the lightest of winds.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Mar 6 2014, 08:49 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (marsophile @ Jan 20 2014, 06:37 PM) *
I wonder if the simple fact of being tilted could affect the deposition/removal "budget" so that a small net deposition could be transformed to a small net removal.

I think the total tilt (vector sum of North/South and East/West) has been greater recently than at most times in the past. Perhaps that might account for the steady improvement? If this is so, then it might be useful to seek a tilt (perhaps East/West) even during other seasons besides winter.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 6 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #193

Spirit overwintered on the northern edge of Home Plate and got some pretty extreme tilts, but I don't recall any particular effect on dust coverage.

My guess is that the gravitational forces on dust on a tilted panel would be tiny compared to the wind forces.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 6 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 15

I don't think it's just a matter of tilt. It's more effective for dust cleaning to tilt into a prevailing wind, I think -- it increases the force of the wind for the surface to be more perpendicular to the airflow. Obviously, the edge of Home Plate wasn't an area where there was much prevailing wind. I'd guess there is more wind where Oppy sits now than there is down on the plains. I think the two -- a windy location plus a tilt into the wind -- worked together to create a gradual cleaning effect.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 6 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 542

That sounds right to me. A location where the hillside already faces into the wind plus an extra tilt of the panel in the same direction does the job. The dust is being swept upward off the surface, not sliding downward due to gravity, so tilting alone without the prevailing wind and the right topography would accomplish nothing.

The fact that this is a location where loose surface material is preferentially removed by wind may be part of the reason why we're at this spot.

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.