IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Transit of Venus, Not unmannedspaceflight but it's in space, so....
Explorer1
post May 27 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Wow, just barely north of Iceland the sun will be half obscured in the middle by the horizon... I wonder if anyone will be there, around 66 N, 23 W? Should be amazing pictures, if the weather and icebergs won't interfere...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 28 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Wow Toma, thanks for that.

And if you want to see the most amazing transit path, drag your locator pin out to the Pacific Ocean to a spot West of Hawaii, 21.6N, 167.8W

http://www.sunaeon.com/venustransit/

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
mchan
post May 28 2012, 01:33 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 476

And close by at 22.7N 166.2W, Venus jumps across the disk within 2 minutes. The simulator plots on 1 minute intervals, so the trajectory is piecewise continuous here.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 28 2012, 03:18 AM
Post #19

I can't understand the geometry of how this would happened, but no matter; if anyone manages to see/film that sort of motion it would be unreal. (are we sure that's not just a bug in the programming?)

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post May 28 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4270

It has a lot to do with the rotation of Earth causing the orientation of the solar disc (and Venus on it) to rotate.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 28 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #21

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 27 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Wow Toma, thanks for that.

And if you want to see the most amazing transit path, drag your locator pin out to the Pacific Ocean to a spot West of Hawaii, 21.6N, 167.8W

http://www.sunaeon.com/venustransit/

THAT is ubercool!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 29 2012, 04:39 AM
Post #22

I suppose its the same sort of effect as someone would see on Mercury, with the Sun stopping, going back a bit, and then shooting forward again.

Hope its not too late to charter a ship to go to one of these places? wink.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 29 2012, 05:05 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 197

If you can't charter a boat, you could catch a flight to La Paz, Bolivia where there will be a similar looping transit path (though the show will be quite a bit better a few miles to the East or South of La Paz.)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 29 2012, 03:26 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3908

Actually, the path of Venus across the Sun's disk is straight. This Website explains why the path appears curved or looped:
"The diagrams below to the clocks show the movement of Venus across the solar disk relative to the zenith, the point directly overhead. This is how you will see Venus advancing on the solar disk when observing with the naked eye or a telescope on an altazimuth mounting. Because of the diurnal motion of the celestial sphere, the sun’s disc rotates with respect to the direction of the zenith in the course of a day. The initially straight chord, representing Venus’ trajectory with respect to the north point, is now transformed into a curved path."

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 30 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Oops, I think I broke it...

[attachment=26863:VenusTransit.jpg]

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post May 31 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 6336

That path looks funny, so perhaps you managed to break it. smile.gif

Now we're talking of Venus, the planet got a relatively young surface which have been flooded by lava over large areas.

Now research suggests that Venus might have been two planets that merged. And that might explain how Earth avoided getting frozen over back in the days when the Sun were a quite fainter star. Our world might have orbited closer to the sun, and moved outward later on trough interaction with one of the two proto-Venus planets. This is all somewhat speculative, so I think it belong in the Chit-chat section. smile.gif

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/...20530152034.htm

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 31 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #27

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

I think the issue is the Sun./Venus goes almost directly through zenith so from the alt/az point of view, Venus is seen to rotate 180 degrees around the sun very quickly. The limited temporal sampling of the plot gives a few straight lines where is should be a near circle around the Sun.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post May 31 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 6336

@jamescanvin: I considered that for a moment myself, but the time for the transit is 15,09 to 21,28 with sunset at 20,48. I thought that black part of the graph is when the transit is not visible from that location. So its too late of the day for that - or am I missing something?

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post May 31 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 251

A friend and I here at work were scratching our heads as to how those paths could be right - until we realized they were as viewed through an Alt-Az mount. Using an equatorial mount should result in a near straight line across the sun, correct?

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jun 1 2012, 07:16 AM
Post #30

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (TheAnt @ May 31 2012, 05:22 PM) *
@jamescanvin: I considered that for a moment myself, but the time for the transit is 15,09 to 21,28 with sunset at 20,48. I thought that black part of the graph is when the transit is not visible from that location. So its too late of the day for that - or am I missing something?

Yes, but the crazy zig-zag bit is before the transit. The 'star' on the image is the position of Venus (off the disk) at the time shown in the upper right and is handily just before it executes the weird bit.

This is 13:52 local (-7 from GMT) however -134.7 longitude is very close to 9 hours behind GMT (9*15 = 135) so the sun will pass through zenith (the site is also very close to the tropic line near midsummer to ensure this) at roughly 14:00, just the right time. smile.gif

@ddeerrff Correct

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.