Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Cloud shadows on Jupiter?, Voyager 1 images
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 24 2010, 01:42 AM
Post #1

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

When taking a look at some of the Voyager images of Jupiter I noticed something interesting in Voyager 1 image C1638201.IMQ - possible cloud shadows. I haven't seen them before on Jupiter in any spacecraft images. Here is a flat fielded, cleaned up and contrast stretched version of C1638201.IMQ:

Attached Image

At this time Voyager 1 was imaging equatorial and southern latitudes not far from the terminator which is to the right in this image. The possible cloud shadows are especially noticeable at lower right and near the image center. These features are more subtle but still noticeable without any contrast stretch or flat fielding:

Attached Image

C1638201.IMQ is a clear filter image obtained on 1979-03-05 06:08:36. The distance from Jupiter is 567,000 km according to the Jupiter Viewer at the PDS Planetary Rings Node. This yields a resolution of ~5 km/pixel.

There are more images obtained at a similar time that also seem to show shadows although this is the best example I have noticed so far.

If these are indeed cloud shadows (I can't see how this could be anything else) they must have been noticed before (they aren't that subtle) although I don't remember seeing cloud shadows mentioned before on Jupiter.

By the way the Voyager datasets for Jupiter are in my opinion still very interesting despite the Galileo and Cassini images. The resolution is much higher than in the Cassini images and there is far better time lapse stuff from Voyager than Galileo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
scalbers
post Jul 20 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

Post #1 in this thread is pretty impressive in its showing of shadows from Voyager. The cloud near the upper boundary looks much like a convective overshooting top on Earth.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jul 21 2017, 07:28 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

I agree, Steve. It's interesting to think of the jovian equivalent of terrestrial weather patterns. Somewhere in that huge atmosphere, there may be cold fronts and/or low pressure centers triggering patterns of thunderstorms. I think we have yet to characterize it all, but these sure look like what you say.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:10 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.